IGN Review!

I'm afraid to read it in case of spoilers.

btw, what did KOTOR score in comparison?

I know someone that used to work for swedish PC GAMER and he said that you can never compare two games like that. If they gave a game 95% and then a sequel comes year later and they give it 92%, it can still be better than the first.

You can't compare gamereviews for games so far apart (a year or more).

IGN talks about KOTOR like it's the holy grail of story-telling. Take away the Revan twist and what's left is average at best. In Kotor, you are herded from one location to the next with no real control over what you do. Other people set the agenda and further the plot, you are just dragged along for the ride.

Kotor's sum total is: find star maps --> go to star forge --> kill Malak. That constitutes a great story??? IMO, Kotor2 sounds far more interesting and isn't reliant on a single event to make it memorable. IGN were probably wowed by the twist and can't see beyond that.

Yes the differeing opinions are confusing. I;m going to reserve all judgements on both game and reviews until I have this game myself.

If I'm lucky, I might be getting it today.

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

I had no high hopes for the story knowing who is involved so to hear it kind of limps out at the end isn't a surprise. 17 hours to get a lightsaber!? WTF? Do these people not understand why I'm playing this game and want to play a Jedi? That is over twice as long as the first game if you did all of the quests on Talis(took me 8 hours the first time to hit it all). I just really don't understand game developers sometimes. They seem to forget we are playing this game not them. It was like the mistake I made the first time I DMed, it's not just about what you want, but what the players want.

I had no high hopes for the story knowing who is involved so to hear it kind of limps out at the end isn't a surprise.  17 hours to get a lightsaber!?  WTF?  Do these people not understand why I'm playing this game and want to play a Jedi?  That is over twice as long as the first game if you did all of the quests on Talis(took me 8 hours the first time to hit it all).  I just really don't understand game developers sometimes.  They seem to forget we are playing this game not them.  It was like the mistake I made the first time I DMed, it's not just about what you want, but what the players want.

Try seeing it from the other side of the coin. They want to show you that becoming a Jedi is a "long" and hard task to complete, especially getting your lightsaber.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

just read the review now, actually got me drooling, sounds so incredible, 17 hrs to get your lightsaber....GREAT i lurv vibroswords! my favrt weapon in kotor was the genoharadan poison blade. even the negativity about the graphics doesnt bother me one bit, however i might have to take back my earlier confidence about load times, if like ign says we will be going back and foward a lot it may become a problem. you yanks will have to tell me bout that one on monday!

just read the review now, actually got me drooling, sounds so incredible, 17 hrs to get your lightsaber....GREAT i lurv vibroswords! my favrt weapon in kotor was the genoharadan poison blade. even the negativity about the graphics doesnt bother me one bit, however i might have to take back my earlier confidence about load times, if like ign says we will be going back and foward a lot it may become a problem. you yanks will have to tell me bout that one on monday!

Ofcourse we don't care that much about the graphics, we're fanboys afterall, aren't we? :rolleyes:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Talk about bugs in KOTOR make me chuckle. I have an ATI card; and I had on "major" bug. A constant crash when tryoing to escape Taris At first, i wasn't too please with BIO. So, I posted on the BIO baords. I was politely informed by a **** to update my driver. I did so, from then on, the game ran pretty much perfectly. Veryf ew slow down,s I believe maybe one crash, and one very minor graphical glitch were your PC sometimes skids forward where you cna't move witrh that happening maybe 2-3 times. Not eaxctly a bundle of problems.

If you want problems, play a Troika game. Play POR2. PLay ES series games. BIO's games may have bugs and problems but they aren't nearly as bad as their compeitiors and unlike others they'll patch it plus unlike a certain other company they won't hide from players by not having a message board so you can't rant at them.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I had no high hopes for the story knowing who is involved so to hear it kind of limps out at the end isn't a surprise.  17 hours to get a lightsaber!?  WTF?  Do these people not understand why I'm playing this game and want to play a Jedi?  That is over twice as long as the first game if you did all of the quests on Talis(took me 8 hours the first time to hit it all).  I just really don't understand game developers sometimes.  They seem to forget we are playing this game not them.  It was like the mistake I made the first time I DMed, it's not just about what you want, but what the players want.

Try seeing it from the other side of the coin. They want to show you that becoming a Jedi is a "long" and hard task to complete, especially getting your lightsaber.

I'm really glad that is what they want to do and I would have been upset, but understanding if they made it closer to the original games 8 hours. That's almost half the game right there(17 hrs). If you hit every side quest that is available for your character type(LS/DS) could we be talking about even over 17 hours? I'll be playing a Jedi weapons master about that time(I hope so at least). Assuming that they stay about as close as the other rules to D20 then that could mean either wasting feats or choosing ones that are useless for my character design. Hopefully they will still give you the lightsaber feat at first level so you can at least buy the feats that will be useless till you get one.

Well if in the meantime I do have Force powers I wouldn't worry about not having my saber, it can wait. A vibroblade can kill you you know, ok it can't dodge blaster shots but that isn't much of a problem anyway.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

"This one isn't a bioware game, so we can't know what to expect when it comes to technical support."

True, but BIo was helping Obsidain with engine stuff and story continuity and the like so BIO will be involved in some level. And, I trust Obsidian in this because Feargus is probably the main Interplay person when it cmae to helping BIO deal with BG bugs...

There were two things that I found strange in this review:

1. The reviewer states that the story isn't as good as in KOTOR1 but everything he mentions about it seems to make KOTOR2's story better and not worse.

2. The writer says that the final battle is a lot easier than the battle against Malak which he thinks was a very hard battle. But, wasn't the final battle of KOTOR1 very easy compared to other RPGS?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"It was an easy batlle, easier than most other RPGs."

Which ones were harder? That's what i'd like to know. I can count maybe half a dozen to 6 max that were actually harder. All one has to do is look at the early spoiler posts in BIO's forum to see that LOTS of people though Malak was hard.

I, myself, found that he was challenging; but he was not 'hard". Though he was "harder" than most other end bosses in RPGS.

I thought Malak was easier than the end bosses in all rpgs by Bioware and Black Isle.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"It was an easy batlle, easier than most other RPGs."

Which ones were harder? That's what i'd like to know. I can count maybe half a dozen to 6 max that were actually harder. All one has to do is look at the early spoiler posts in BIO's forum to see that LOTS of people though Malak was hard.

I, myself, found that he was challenging; but he was not 'hard". Though he was "harder" than most other end bosses in RPGS.

I think he was as hard as Diablo. Not hard at all. But it probably depends on how you played it.

I thought for example that BGs bosses were harder than malak

I thought Malak was easier than the end bosses in all rpgs by Bioware and Black Isle.

I agree

"I thought Malak was easier than the end bosses in all rpgs by Bioware and Black Isle."

Eh. The only ones harder for me were Sarevok and Mephi (spam the rest of his name here).

IWD's demon boss, NWN OC, Irenicus, and Melissan were ok.

SOU's Medusa, PST's yourself and HOW's white dragon were super easy.

Didn't finsih IWD2 so I can't comment there.

Neitehr of FO's bosses were harder but theyw ere challenging in their own rights. Master not as much though.

Meh.