IGN Review!

True, but didn't OXM just play a preview that had so much of the game? This says the story is strong (Though less than the original which I find hard to believe given the impressions up until now) but the ending isn't as strong as it should have been. Of course like you say it may be just the reviewer's opinion and we may differ from that but the ending is something very important for a story driven game imo. If this is one of those cliffhanger endings or one of those congrats you won lets gaze at the camera, I'll be extremely disappointed. Hopefully the endings are much more elaborate, moving, and gratifying than the reviewer felt.

I won both of the final battles without dying or feeling particularly challenged, a far cry from the difficult end-game against Malak in the original KOTOR.

:thumbsup::)

Heh.

At least they didn't say, "and I was really disappointed at how Darth Nihilus didn't match up to the awesome power of Darth Bandon." :huh:

EDIT: CURSE YOU, Muad'dib! You stole my top spot!

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Heh.

At least they didn't say, "and I was really disappointed at how Darth Nihilus didn't match up to the awesome power of Darth Bandon." :)

Yeah whats next an essay on the destructive power of Calo Nord? Surely there was no over hyping of how bad ass Calo Nord was in K1. :thumbsup:"

Cheers!

Heh.

At least they didn't say, "and I was really disappointed at how Darth Nihilus didn't match up to the awesome power of Darth Bandon." :)

Yeah whats next an essay on the destructive power of Calo Nord?

Quivering in the presence of the ominous power of Davik Kang....no wait: Begging for mercy at the feet of the 3 stooges.*

* "Lord Malak was most displeased you had escaped Taris alive. He has promised a great reward to those who destroy you."

~wash, rinse, repeat x5~ <_<

manthing2.jpg

"Professional reviews" very rarely interest me. I tend to rely on player reviews to help me judge whether or not to purchase the game. Of course, sometimes this doesn't work: like in this case, where I'm buying it right away because I'm paranoid about someone spoiling something for me.

And now that I think about it, I purchased Bloodlines from the overwhelmingly positive initial response from the boards I read rather than waiting for a price drop/patch, so maybe my policy isn't so sound after all. :)

I'm at once unsurprised and indifferent. It would have been nice if the level pacing had been better, but I rarely play RPGs for the 'challenge' anyway.

Gotta agree with this. I'm more interested in the story and how the characters and plot unfolds than whether I'll be able to defeat an enemy in one try or 100 reloads.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I won both of the final battles without dying or feeling particularly challenged, a far cry from the difficult end-game against Malak in the original KOTOR.

:):huh:

Is it just me or was I the only one who killed Malak on the first try without even coming close to dying?? Malak was a big push over. I don't know how he all of a sudden is supposed to have been as tuff as a boss from Ninja Gaiden. :huh:

Cheers!

no, he was surprisingly easy for me as well

Gotta agree with this.  I'm more interested in the story and how the characters and plot unfolds than whether I'll be able to defeat an enemy in one try or 100 reloads.

I think that OE has realized this in building the game...hence Atton's "I have a bad feeling about this" whenever something comparably threatening comes up.

The audience seeking a hardcore RPG experience is sadly not sufficent enough to warrant a truly challenging RPG any more.

When it comes to professional reviews...don't just accept it or deny it outright. Do what you do when you hear a friend's recommendations to a movie. Look at who's writing the review. Do you have some of the same tastes as this person? If you trust this reviewer's taste, then you can trust the review. Just like how you would trust a friend's reoommendation if you know you share similar tastes.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

In either case, I'm not really worried. Last time I checked, a 9.3 is still a very strong score (unless this reviewer tends to rate even crappy games in the 9+ range).

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In either case, I'm not really worried.  Last time I checked, a 9.3 is still a very strong score (unless this reviewer tends to rate even crappy games in the 9+ range).

Hilary Goldstein (IGN)

Except if there are bugs in there that will ruin the game.

Don't you think the reviewer would have mentioned something like that?

Things that sounded good:

Interesting characters

Influence (I liked how they showed you lose influence with Bao-Dur on the video review. I was wondering how that would work.)

Deep story

But the Sith are not your only enemy. Something is threatening the galaxy. What it is, how it is to be stopped, and your own role in shaping the future of the Republic won't be answered until the very end of your adventure.

I didn't know there was an additional story element besides the Sith chasing you.

Who can you trust? You may be guessing until the very end.

That sounds cool. Party members you thought were with you all the way could turn on you unexpectedly.

Things that sounded bad:

KOTOR II's overall story is not quite as strong as the sweeping epic of the original

That's a bummer.

Weak ending

Ease of boss battles (I liked that Malaak was hard to beat for me. He should have been, since he was the main villain. Maybe they were easy for the reviewer since he is a professional gamer. Let's hope so.)

Things that surprised me:

Each of these classes has specific powers and feats connected to them, meaning that to see every power in KOTOR II would require an excessive amount of replay.

So I guess this means I would have to play it 6 times to fully experience it??!!

(3 for Jedi and 3 for Sith = 6 total). I didn't expect that!

It's going to take some time before you receive your Lightsaber (it took me 17 hours to acquire mine)

Wow. And that's from a guy who plays games for a living! Who knows what it will be for a novice gamer like me? Somewhat disappointing.

What I got out of the review and that has me excited is that bottom line - if you liked KOTOR (which I do VERY MUCH) then you'll like KOTOR II a lot. For me, the review didn't change how I feel about the game at my core - I know I'm going to enjoy the game, I am dying to play it, and the waiting is about to killl me! No review will change that.

Except if there are bugs in there that will ruin the game.

Don't you think the reviewer would have mentioned something like that?

Reviews of K1 never mentioned the game ending Mission glitch or the galaxy droid. However I remain optimistic that the bugs in TSL are indeed minor.

Top of the page post! I am the forum god now!! All hail DSM!

Cheers!

That's a relief. The reviewer appears to be pretty tough on a lot of games; more than a few 5.0s and below.

A 9.0+ thus means something. It's a pity she didn't talk more about what.

That's a relief. The reviewer appears to be pretty tough on a lot of games; more than a few 5.0s and below.

A 9.0+ thus means something. It's a pity she didn't talk more about what.

Apparently it's a "he". But yeah, his scores aren't over the top, so a 9.3 seems like a very good score. I think people are just worried too much about the low score in graphics, when in reality everyone should have expected it would be one of TSL's "weaknesses".

Apparently it's a "he".

Poor bastard.

Never been terribly impressed with Hilary. She was, let's say, overly enamored with the plot of the the original KOTOR (she apparently didn't see it coming). I'm trying to reconcile the lukewarm comments about the plot in this review with the OXM comments.

edit: I expected this after the massive disappointment that Halo 2 was, and it skated through with a 9.8. Expect the same treatment from Gamespot.