IGN Review!

Actually, their main grievance seemed to be that it ran on the Kotor engine and something I suspect is an x-box performance problem (didn't have enything even remotely like that on my PC version of Kotor). That leaves a small issue, real or perceived, with the end story part ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Who cares about IGN. Their site is not that impressive nor their reviews."

Who are you and why shoudl we care about your review of IGN's review?

It was written. My *only* complaint is the score doesn't really match the review. It's a good thing that the score is 8always* secodnary to me. Overall, they liked the game but have some problems with it. Big whoop.

Tell me about it. Rewievers have a habit of that. For Gamespot, they gave Hitman: contracts a 7.7, but the Review didn't even mention many faults; it sounded more like 9.0 to me.

The most interesting piece of info is the lack of a level cap. I would imagine that this means the enimies are done in proportion to you.

Interesting. Very, very interesting.

Fnord.

That remark about the story being 'not quite as good' as the original is a bit disheartening, if the reviewer is correct.

But the news about different Force powers based on class adds yet another factor in replayability.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Although I'm not going to read the review to avoid as many spoilers as possible until Feb, 9.3 is a pretty good score as far as I'm concerned. They nitpicked and complained about minor details, that's nothing new for an IGN review and in spite of all this they still gave it a great score so even though they might have not liked certain things seems like they did like the vast majority of the product.

Volourn: He's got as much right to his opinion as you do yours or IGN's, I'm certain if 2 different people at IGN reviewed the game they'd give it different scores and have different impressions of the game, after all a review is always subjective to the tastes of the player. Frankly I myself care nothing for IGN's reviews, or any ohters for that matter, I disagree with their reviews more than I agree. Is my opinion any less valid because I'm not paid to review the product or isn't posted in an official capacity? You like IGN good for you, no need to attack someone who doesn't.

Although I'm not going to read the review to avoid as many spoilers as possible 9.3 is a pretty good score as far as I'm concerned. They nitpicked and complained about minor details, that's nothing new for an IGN review and in spite of all this they still gave it a great score so even though they might have not liked certain things seems like they did like the vast majority of the product.

Volourn: He's got as much right to his opinion as you do yours or IGN's, I'm certain if 2 different people at IGN reviewed the game they'd give it different scores and have different impressions of the game, after all a review is always subjective to the tastes of the player. Frankly I myself care nothing for IGN's reviews, or any ohters for that matter, I disagree with their reviews more than I agree. Is my opinion any less valid because I'm not paid to review the product or isn't posted in an official capacity? You like IGN good for you, no need to attack someone who doesn't.

You should read the review before judging. It doesn't have any spoilers.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Yep we all have opinions. Volourn is just an idiot. Simple.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

KOTOR II is one of the rare Star Wars games that doesn't seem mystified by the universe, but instead approaches it with a sociologist's eye. What is the real difference between Jedi and Sith? How is that difference perceived by the common man (or Wookie or Twi'lek)? Does the Republic -- on the brink of dissolution -- deserve to be saved? Many raise these questions throughout KOTOR II, but Kreia is the main source of great dialogue and philosophizing.

OoooooOOOoohhh. Sounds like my kind of writing.

It's not very spoilery don't worry.

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Volourn: He's got as much right to his opinion as you do yours or IGN's, I'm certain if 2 different people at IGN reviewed the game they'd give it different scores and have different impressions of the game, after all a review is always subjective to the tastes of the player. Frankly I myself care nothing for IGN's reviews, or any ohters for that matter, I disagree with their reviews more than I agree. Is my opinion any less valid because I'm not paid to review the product or isn't posted in an official capacity? You like IGN good for you, no need to attack someone who doesn't. "

You miss the point the point. It wasn't that he was complaining about the actual review I was commenting about it. It's the 'Who cares about IGN" comment that got me. If he truly didn't care about IGN or their reviews why did he bother to spam this thread. It's obvious he cares about IGN or else he would have not posted in this thread at all. I bet he even read the review, saw the negativity (in spite of the actual score) and is now taking a tantrum because IGnw asn't 'gushing" over aspect of the game.

It's not a matter of me liking IGN or not either. I think of them as any other other reviewer - either professional or player. Just some fountain of game knoweldge I can read while I wait for the games I'm interested in.

"Yep we all have opinions. Volourn is just an idiot. Simple."

Yet when one disagrees with yours; they automatically are an 'idiot' or not worthy. R00fles!

Again, ia sk, who are you? <_<

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Volourn: He's got as much right to his opinion as you do yours or IGN's, I'm certain if 2 different people at IGN reviewed the game they'd give it different scores and have different impressions of the game, after all a review is always subjective to the tastes of the player. Frankly I myself care nothing for IGN's reviews, or any ohters for that matter, I disagree with their reviews more than I agree. Is my opinion any less valid because I'm not paid to review the product or isn't posted in an official capacity? You like IGN good for you, no need to attack someone who doesn't. "

You miss the point the point. It wasn't that he was complaining about the actual review I was commenting about it. It's the 'Who cares about IGN" comment that got me. If he truly didn't care about IGN or their reviews why did he bother to spam this thread. It's obvious he cares about IGN or else he would have not posted in this thread at all. I bet he even read the review, saw the negativity (in spite of the actual score) and is now taking a tantrum because IGnw asn't 'gushing" over aspect of the game.

It's not a matter of me liking IGN or not either. I think of them as any other other reviewer - either professional or player. Just some fountain of game knoweldge I can read while I wait for the games I'm interested in.

"Yep we all have opinions. Volourn is just an idiot. Simple."

Yet when one disagrees with yours; they automatically are an 'idiot' or not worthy. R00fles!

Again, ia sk, who are you? <_<

Thankfully not you.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

With all the negatives they mention it sure doesn't seem like it deserves a 90+ score.

R00fles!

Indeed, i was expecting something in the lines 8.7 when reading that review. Also, one thing that left me scratching my head, OXM magazine claims that the story is superior to KotOR I, while IGN states that it's otherwise.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well it sounds good that the dark side was called "rewarding" instead of "petty", but I have to say the tech stuff is inexcusable if true, because KotOR, like most stuff from bioware, is a buggy mess pure and simple, and the many people having serious problems with it, (just look at the older posts in the bioware forums, before everyone gave up), is proof. ;)

With all the negatives they mention it sure doesn't seem like it deserves a 90+ score.

R00fles!

Indeed, i was expecting something in the lines 8.7 when reading that review. Also, one thing that left me scratch my head, OXM magazine claims that the story is supirior to KotOR I, while IGN states that it's otherwise.

Lets think about why that might be for a minute ;)

You should read the review before judging. It doesn't have any spoilers.

Judging what? Whether there are spoilers or not or whether I agree with IGN? Someone mentioned there are a few minor spoilers in the review, I'm trusting their word on it.

My opinion of IGN is based on other reviews of many other games if that was what you were referring to DSLuke.

Volourn: I get what your saying. But take me, I for the most part don't like IGN either, I've seen some reviewers make some comments so silly it made me want to clubber them over the head. However, since IGN gets pics, videos and reviews before many other places I still read their reviews, agree with them or not, if only to get an impression of what the game will be like aside the reviewers opinions. Like I said, I think 9.3 is a pretty darn good review and among the best I've seen in that site, doesn't mean that it changes my opinion of them. All I was saying is everyone including them, can have their opinions about it, if MasterRevan thinks IGN sucks that's his opinion to have about them, the same way your opinion of them being a reliable source of info or being a good site (If that's what you believe) is just as credible point. I didn't expect them to do much gushing myself, only Halo 2 or San Andreas get gushed over whether it's deserved or not, however I think they could have split even reviewing the good aspects as much as the bad they found...at least according to word of mouth which indicates the review features much more problems than anything else. But I digress, I'm no true reviewer myself so maybe all you are supposed to do in a review is complain about the problems instead of also highlighting all aspects of the game. Hope you get what I mean.

MasterRevan: Come on man lets keep this friendly, no need for that either.

R00fles!

Indeed, i was expecting something in the lines 8.7 when reading that review. Also, one thing that left me scratch my head, OXM magazine claims that the story is supirior to KotOR I, while IGN states that it's otherwise.

Lets think about why that might be for a minute ;)

Are you suggesting bias? I not so sure about that.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Also, one thing that left me scratching my head, OXM magazine claims that the story is supirior to KotOR I, while IGN states that it's otherwise.

Best explanation: it was written by two different reviewers who see things differently. ;)

My guess? The KOTOR II storyline won't be as 'epic', but will be better written and more philosophical. So some people will prefer the original, and others the sequel. Just like from Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back. :ermm:

Are you suggesting bias? I not so sure about that.

Bias?!?!?!!?

From X-BOX magazine?

Never. ;)

Depends, they gave Fable the same score afterall :ermm:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Also, one thing that left me scratching my head, OXM magazine claims that the story is supirior to KotOR I, while IGN states that it's otherwise.

Best explanation: it was written by two different reviewers who see things differently. ;)

My guess? The KOTOR II storyline won't be as 'epic', but will be better written and more philosophical. So some people will prefer the original, and others the sequel. Just like from Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back. :)

Well, then IGN is heading in the "Maxim"-direction, i guess :ermm:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Muad'Dib: I have no problem with people inlcuding you disliking IGN. My point is the faux pas attutuide of 'not caring' yet posting in a thread dedicated to the IGn review is just plain silly is all. If one dislikes IGn for whatever reason; good for them.

"because KotOR, like most stuff from bioware, is a buggy mess pure and simple, and the many people having serious problems with it, (just look at the older posts in the bioware forums, before everyone gave up), is proof."

HAHA! That's hilarious. BIo's actual rep is actaully diffent than what you are saying. They tend to have a reputation for relatively bug free games. Yes, they have bugs, and some big ones at that; but relatively speaking, BIO's games are bug free masterpieces if you compare them to their competitors. Don't confuse the 10 or so people with major bug problems for the thosuands who got away scott free or almost scott free. It is simply scary that a seuqle with basically the same engine might actually be more buggy than the predessor.

From what I've seen and heard, KOTOR2 will come up with the following:

KOTOR2 is a sequel. It improves on lots of things; but that's counter baalnced by the fact that it *is* a sequel and will feel like 'more of the same'. It won't have the "wonderous" "new" feeling that KOTOR1 had no matter how good it may actually be. I wager quality wise it's better; but it may not "feel" better in the long run to many people.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.