KOTOR3 or KOTOR2 Expansion?

With KOTOR2 all but ready to hit the store shelves next week, there's not much more to speculate on that hasn't already been speculated already. So let's try something new (or atleast something that hasn't been mentioned in a couple of months). Assuming KOTOR2 is a huge sucess (so far, that seems like a reasonable assumption), the inevitable question arises: "Will there be a KOTOR3?".

However, there's a second option if Lucasarts and whomever they approach to work on further KOTOR installments, decide to further the series. That is, rather than a full-fledged sequel, they create expansion packs instead. For some, this might mean the exact same thing, but for others it might not.

So I was wondering, would you rather see:

1-KOTOR3 developed farther down the line, but on an entirely new engine, meaning it will likely be 2 or more years away, but instead an expansion pack or two (much like NWN's HotU and SoU) in the meantime, in which the story won't be as long or as involving as TSL will be.

or

2-KOTOR3 developed at the same pace KOTOR2 was, in which the same engine is used but a brand new full length story is created, much like KOTOR2 is to KOTOR1.

Personally, I'd vote for #1. I'd be satisfied with an expansion pack or two to tide me over while KOTOR3 is developed down the road on a new engine and using whatever new technology that engine would allow.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

#1, although I have no idea what could be done with an expansion. You're going to be around level 30 at the end of KOTOR2, what else can they add? Though (imo) HotU was the only decent NWN campaign of the whole bunch, you were starting to run into uber-power problems at the end, like the battlefield full of balors and facing off against a demi-god at the end.

edit: Jesus, when is that ign review comming out?! It's approaching 5:00 Eastern time and it isn't out yet.

#1, although I have no idea what could be done with an expansion. You're going to be around level 30 at the end of KOTOR2, what else can they add? Though (imo) HotU was the only decent NWN campaign of the whole bunch, you were starting to run into uber-power problems at the end, like the battlefield full of balors and facing off against a demi-god at the end.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of SoU, where you start out at a lower level, with a different story (but just not as long of a story).

Perhaps more specialized? For instance, an expansion where instead of your mission being to save the entire galaxy, you're just part of a team that either has to rescue a diplomate and solve the reason fo their kidnapping, or a sabotage team sent to infiltrate a Sith-held world. Something that is on a smaller scale than what we'd see in TSL.

As for the XBox thing; I didn't really have that in mind, since I don't own one. :thumbsup:"

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I would prefer a brand new game .. set such a long time after KOTOR and TSL that they won't need to be too specifik about what happened in the first 2 games! I wouldn't like expansions, because I don't think the story is made with that in mind .. and it's pretty hard to do 100% properly with 4 different endings to choose from all in all (if they take KOTOR in to account) ..

So 1-2-3 years and a brand new game

Fortune favors the bald.

#1 without expansions and an even longer wait like 3-4 years. i want the game to have a new engine but alsoa good story so that gives the devs a chance to work on both. i also want obsidian to handle the job becuase i am very pleased with how they handled kotor 2.

in addition to what was stated above, i want to have a new pc, the exile and revan in my party for kotor 3.

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

i also want obsidian to handle the job becuase i am very pleased with how they handled kotor 2.

I know what you mean, but thats still kind of silly to say without playing the game

i know its silly to say without playing it but, i like obsidian's taste for a darker game and i think they are a really good company. and with a little luck they will prove it on the 6th :)

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

With games like PS: torment, fallout and BG i would be very surprised if this game isn't great.

But to the point. An expansion would be meaningless i think. Expansions usually continue from where the original ended, so it would mean that we continue playing with the PC and end up what? level 50? No, pointless. A whole new game is much better and hopefuly that game will be longer :D

If they do make a third I do think they should use the same base engine, in order ot keep consistancy, but make considierable upgrades. Similar what Obsidian is doing to NWN 2. Same base engine, but use a secondary engine for the graphics system.

If there is going to be a KotOR 3 it better be done either by Bioware or Obsidian.

I would have to go with number 1 but the question is how would it work on the Xbox since it doesn't require you to install the game to play it? So the game would wind up having to be a completely new game anyway rather than an exspansion(sp?) pack and I don't think LA would go for that and not just call it KOTOR 3. With all that being said I think that KOTOR 3 should be on a completly different engine even if it does take two years to produce. Mainly because with a new engine (rather than a retooled one) there will be things that we have asked for that couldn't make it into TSL (due to the engine) which wouldn't be a problem.... kind of a DUH!!! moment there ;) .

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

But to the point. An expansion would be meaningless i think. Expansions usually continue from where the original ended, so it would mean that we continue playing with the PC and end up what? level 50? No, pointless. A whole new game is much better and hopefuly that game will be longer  :D

Like I mentioned, I was thinking more along the lines of NWN's type of expansions where the story is independant of the OC.

But to the point. An expansion would be meaningless i think. Expansions usually continue from where the original ended, so it would mean that we continue playing with the PC and end up what? level 50? No, pointless. A whole new game is much better and hopefuly that game will be longer  :D

Like I mentioned, I was thinking more along the lines of NWN's type of expansions where the story is independant of the OC.

Yeah, sorry forgot about that. In that case it wouldn't be so bad. but i'd still it rather be a separate game, KotOR3. otherwise it would have a different name...

well now i'm just grabbing for straws ;)"