Choosing the Light Side

I know it might sound stupid, but I find it hard to do evil things even in a game... when I tried to play the first KOTOR darkside, I just couldn't continue...

I hear now that KOTOR 2 is going to be darker then the first, and it seems like going to the lightside will be much harder then going dark.... I understand that most people think the darkside is more fun, but I don't think it's fair for the game to push you down the dark path...

I also hope that lightside elements and characters will be present in a measurable amount...

I must be the only one that thinks o:) is more rewarding then :devil: in star wars....

I'm not sure why you think playing LS will be harder. I didn't notice a difference in the last game, in terms of difficulty.

I think the only difference between the two is you have to decide carefully which choices you make in terms of accomplishing a given mission or task.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Really the only difference, besides the obvious is that its alot quicker to play ds, not really easier in a combat sense

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

What I'm saying is that in the first KOTOR the game wasn't really any harder if you chose light or dark....

Here though there seems to be more risk in choosing light.... I mean according to an IGN article you would get dark side points if you didn't essentially jump into the fire to save someone... meaning that if I chose not to save someone because I'm worried about my own character dying, I'd get darkside points....

It shouldn't be that much more difficult to earn LS points then DS points...

What I'm saying is that in the first KOTOR the game wasn't really any harder if you chose light or dark....

Here though there seems to be more risk in choosing light.... I mean according to an IGN article you would get dark side points if you didn't essentially jump into the fire to save someone... meaning that if I chose not to save someone because I'm worried about my own character dying, I'd get darkside points.... 

It shouldn't be that much more difficult to earn LS points then DS points...

Well, what they actually said can be given to interpretation. They said something like: "Try to save as many lives as you can, or get off PEragus." Then it said the choice was obvious, and they would save their own skin. While the bit about saving their own skin was worded in a way that made it sound like death was practically a given if you stayed, nothing in the situation stated really sounded like that. I'm too lazy right now to find the exact quote... but just so people know...

The Peragus Mining Facility. "Orbiting time bomb" is more like it. At one point I was facing countless homicidal mining droids I had the option of trying to save who I could or just saving myself. Do I look stupid to you? There was no way we were all getting out of there alive... (2 Dark Side points)

I belive this is the peticular part of the article people are talking about. I would think its kinda common sense that if you were to risk you life to try and atleast save some of the people then you will get LS points and of course if you walk away your going to get DS points. I don't really think that something as simple as this should reflect on whether or not the game is biased against Lightsiders. I think it does show on the other hand that Obsidain has atleast put more thought into the whole struggle between LS and DS than Bioware ever did. Its these types of situations that the original lacked IMO anyway.

Oh and if anyone has missed the article in which this quote was taken from here is a link.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Nobility is easy from a second person perspective. Were we to actually encounter such moral quandaries as Revan faced in KotOR, the path of the lightside would be much more difficult to maintain. Since this imperfect projection of the self on a second party is an inherent property unwont to change, well, we'll be forced to cringe at our own evil choices throughout the game, any game. This only applies to people putting themselves in the pc's place, of course.

I suppose that a more sophisticated approach to evil in KotOR two might alleviate some of our squeamishness on the subject of commiting evil, but I doubt it would do much good on the whole.

"Good? A fine jest!"

I hope being evil presents more of an actual practical choice, so some players would be confused as to why they've earned a few DS points whereas on the outset they think they did the righteous thing.

Seconded. More Dark Side points for anger and aggressive (as opposed to defensive) action would be nice.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

th ds is the quick and easy path. the journey toward the light is a long one but in the end it is worth it.

because your allies wont stab you in the back

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

Playing DS could have other consequences, i.e. that many people won't talk to you anymore. I could imagine that the Republic will reward you more than the Sith will on the long run. Being with the Sith will result in constant struggle, no one of them will give you anything without a fight.

Additionally a self-declared Sith Lord fighting with other Sith Lords for absolute power has even more enemies than a Jedi Master, but I may be wrong on this because of the current situation in the galaxy.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Think if we look at D&D logic game is still surrounding LS, as it is said the greater the evil or challenge the greater the Hero.

So while it may seem as every hope of getting anything out of being LS is lost, Obsidian actually offer you a chance to be or come close to being as great a Hero as Luke Skywalker was.

I dont know if you see a problem in that but i think most hard core LS rpg'er would be ever so thrilled by this.

As for DS you get alot of boons but what do you really get in long terms of game play, as far as i read in game reviews it seems evil is pretty much handled same way as in Kotor1 which would surgest playing LS might actually be the most fun rpg exsperience. :-

I read somewhere that it will be hard sometimes to know the difference between DS options and LS options. If it's true ti will make the game very interesting, not like you can be totally LS before leaving the first planet!!

They have taken the SW 'moral' and bent it and strecthed it a little, chris said in an interview that "the player will be navigating through gray zone" (or something like that) which will be a more realistic aspect in the SW universe. And to me that is just fine, more than fine actually. :-

I hope it is easier to fall to the darkside. The Dark side should tempt us, and we should have to use everything we have not to fall to it- which I felt was missing from KOTOR 1, and hopefully, from what is said in the articled about the DS @ IGN, it sounds like it will be there in this game (they mention force powers etc on Dxun that you can only get if you fall to the Darkside)

P.s. if that didn't make much sense, its coz I've had a few. :">

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

I understand that most people think the darkside is more fun, but I don't think it's fair for the game to push you down the dark path...

Personally i think that the game pushing you more towards the DS would be a more accurate depiction of the SW Universe.

You are meant to reject the Darkside, not just decide you dont want it... you should have conflicting feelings on what to do... this is what im expecting from TSL ;)