Designer Rambling: Echani

/ Begin Echani rambling:

The "Echani" were mentioned in Kotor1, and they are also the people responsible for the fighting styles used by Palpatine's Imperial Guard (at least as it's explained in the Expanded Universe, most notably in Crimson Empire, I believe). The Echani rely heavily on hand-to-hand combat and personal shield technology, and they had their asses handed to them by Revan during the Jedi Civil War, because, not surprisingly, there weren't many people able to face Revan across a battlefield and survive the encounter.

With little to go on for K2, we decided to expand the culture with those elements in mind, and even have a member of the Echani be able to join your party - which is responsible for much of the new hand-to-hand fighting feats and animations you'll see in the game, as well as potentially new powers.

Echani are a culture that communicates through battle, and there are many fighting rituals they use when dealing with their own people - and perhaps your character as well. If you wish to gain influence with them, engaging them in sparring matches or combat can earn their respect, their trust, and perhaps more.

The greatest among the Echani are said to be able to read their opponent's moves so well they can predict the path of a battle several seconds, sometimes even minutes in advance, by gauging their opponent's fighting style, heart rate, and their movements in combat. In many ways, the Echani see combat as a rapid dejarik game, calculating feints, attacks, and dodges with a speed that few can surpass.

More on the Echani will be present in the game, but I wanted to talk a little about their origins and their current ties to the Expanded Universe.

/ End Echani Ramblings.

Finally another rambling.  Thanks Chris.  By the way who is this Echani party member?

I doubt he'll tell us, it might ruin part of the story.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Cool. If I had to guess, I would assume the party member that can use hand-to-hand combat. Never caught her name, though.

They all can

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Can someone tell me who the "Echani" was in the first game?

Was he the fellow who went on about the best part of battle being seeing the inside of your enemy? Or the one who talked about honor and such?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

when i clicked post it there were only 2 replies, then when i entered there were like 15, including yours! 

I know, tell me about it. By the time you read this, another 15 will pop up....either that or this message will self destruct. :ph34r:

Great minds think alike, eh?

They sure do, my friend. ^_^

manthing2.jpg

The Echani rely heavily on hand-to-hand combat and personal shield technology, and they had their asses handed to them by Revan during the Jedi Civil War, because, not surprisingly, there weren't many people able to face Revan across a battlefield and survive the encounter.

*shakes head in disbelief*

Jesus, if I'm right, someone has done his homework. There's only about one mention of the Echani and Revan in KOTOR (namely, the Yusani's Brand description about Revan killing an Echani senator and Yusani confronting him before being squished into jelly by the Sith Lord, implying a move by the Sith against the Echani.)

If the fate of the Echani was derived from enough research to get to that item description....well, I'm very, very impressed. Even I, a complete neurotic when it comes to finding out storylines, missed that the first few times I played.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

/ Begin Echani rambling:

Echani are a culture that communicates through battle, and there are many fighting rituals they use when dealing with their own people - and perhaps your character as well. If you wish to gain influence with them, engaging them in sparring matches or combat can earn their respect, their trust, and perhaps more.

/ End Echani Ramblings.

Its good to see some of the *culture* of starwars seep into gameplay

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.