GamePlay

My math is awful so do you own ... but the minigames might add this amount of "filler time":

I'm not sure the average time it takes to play a pazaak game.  If the time it takes you to place a card and click + wait for your opponent to place a card (and listen to the bwang sound until your head explodes) is about 4 seconds ... and it takes at least 2 cards down on your side to win ... and you go first ... and assuming there is a 2 second delay between each round ... and you play a minimum of 3 games to win ... and lets say you blitz through all dialogue in around 15 seconds ....

Add the fact you have ... we'll say at least 20 people (don't remember exact numbers off my head here, so we'll use a nice random, round number) to play pazaak with ...

And you need to beat them say ... 7 times overall (net gain) to play them to the useful prizes / highest payouts ...

4*2 + 2 (games + since you go first) = 10 seconds

10 + 2*3 (round delays) = 16 seconds

16 + 15 (dialogue) = 31 seconds

31*7 (beat them 7 times in a row) = 217 seconds

217 + 31*3 (lose 1 game for every 2 you win, or reload a lot) = 310 seconds

310*20 (# of people) = 6200 seconds

6200/60 =  ~103.33 minutes

or ~ 1.72 hours

Racing:

Swoop racing takes ... can't remember how many races to win -- i think it was 3?.  Lets say you make 1 mistake (and lose one time) and string together the rest of them as wins. 

That would be (if my numbers above were correct to begin with):

4 (3 wins, 1 loss) total runs.

around 20+ seconds a run.

4*20 = 80 seconds

3 tracks * 80 = 240 seconds

(10 sec win/lose animation + 15 sec dialogue)*4 runs*3 tracks = 300 seconds

300 + 240 = 540 seconds

540/60 = 9 minutes

For quest related materials (e.g. dialogue with other racers):

Add 15 minutes of dialogue = 24 minutes

.... so to this point we have: 103.33+24 = 127.33 minutes

Now we add the turrent game.

Suppose you have one turrent game 1/3 the time you travel between planets.  If you decide to do some quests crossing around a few times ... lets say you jump back and forth between planets 21 times.  If you do that you'll have 7 turrent games.

A typical turrent game starts with a cutscreen sequence + an ending winning sequence.  I have no idea how long it takes.  Suppose you use the PC version and skip it.  It adds approximately 5 seconds on each end to the sequence start + skip (and load encounter) and sequence end + skip (and load planet).  That's 10 seconds.

If there are 10 (I have no idea how many targets you have to shoot down anymore) enemy fighters, and you take 4 shots to down each one (you're a bad shot but you aim well), and shoot at a rate of 2 shots per second ... and it takes you 1 second to aim at the fighter ...

10*(2 shots/sec + 1 second aim) = 30 seconds

30 seconds + 10 second sequences = 40 seconds

40 seconds * 7 encounters = 280 seconds

280/60 = ~ 4.67 minutes

127.33 + 4.67 = 132 minutes

So congrats, you've added 132 minutes of additional gameplay!

Or a little over 2 hours.

* forgot to note the 2 seconds it takes to enter a pazaak game and 2 seconds it takes to exit.  And the 4 seconds you might spend choosing pazaak cards.

Furthermore, the 5 minutes in game you might ever spend looking at a trader's selection of pazaak cards.

This seems to be the serious scientific approach to the issue... Latest up-to-date knowlege on this subject, ha?

p.s. Sorry, haven't read it yet, but it looks impressive! :thumbsup:

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Arcade would be better if your character skills made the results. RPG are not about your abilities, they are about the guy you roleplay abilities

That would be interesting, but after a while that would become really boring... Having to stay focused and react quickly is what gives arcade/style things their long-lasting appeal. I still think it's nice to have them in there, and I don't see why you guys are complaining since you don't HAVE to swoop race.

Playing pazzak was ok but just for the little credits if you won. Some credits is better than none. Swoop race was ok but should have been competing with actual people on the track.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Playing pazzak was ok but just for the little credits if you won. Some credits is better than none.  Swoop race was ok but should have been competing with actual people on the track.

You should also be allowed to use force powers on them on the track.....

DS Jedi moving up close to competing racer:

Take the shortcut though the wall ahead, it is quicker.

Competing racer:

I think I will take the sho(Big explosion as he hits the wall)

Now that would be entertainment. :ermm: