Designer Ramblings: Romance

Sounds delicious.

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

(w00t) :D :p;)"

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Anybody think that maybe party members can have romances with each other?

If you tried to romance some one that someone else in the party was already with, that could cause the jealousy and strained relationships that Chris talked about.

Anybody think that maybe party members can have romances with each other?

If you tried to romance some one that someone else in the party was already with, that could cause the jealousy and strained relationships that Chris talked about.

Wouldn't that make things a LITTLE bit more compicated?? ;)

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Indeed.

SilverSun:

" Though I'm curious, does this mean they're all very dark romances? With rather bitter sweet ends to them?"

That is what it sounded like to me. Developers continue to call this a very 'dark' game, much like "The Empire Strikes Back" was the darkest of the three movie. It makes sense that the romances in this game would soak in the general tone and mood.

DarthDoGooder:

" Could be? Could be? It was, is and forever shall be!"

I understand your appreciation for this game and the company who created it but, in my experience, attitudes like this tend to lead to disappointment. This is the first game from a new company and while I do believe it will be excellent there are always aspects of a game that aren't what we desire or that could have used just that much more polish.

If nothing else, perhaps you ought to play the game before you decide that it's the best RPG of the decade.

jabberwalki

" is it possible to become uh, robosexual?"

Romancible hoverbikes?

Given that Tw'lik pleasure slaves serviced you with massages, it would be easy enough to slip that into the game. It's somewhat unlikely that you'll develop a romantic relationship with any of the game's droids, however.

Tel Aviv:

" I found this particularly interesting. Though perhaps my feeble brain has misunderstood. Does this mean plot related romances between characters outside the party."

I interpreted it as meaning a possible romance between the PC and an NPC not in the party. Such is the ambiguous nature of Chris' comment though that any number of interpretations could be made. I guess we'll just have to wait until Tuesday.

Bazarel:

" Just hope all romances have a possibility to lead somewhere, with hard work hate the ones where you work hard on them and in the End, sorry my position cant allow such or we shouldnt do this it not the way of the Jedi lets stay friends."

I hope all romances lead to whatever conclusion is the best for those two characters. For some that might mean consummation while others might mean break-up.

Loazi:

" You watch those shows? So what, you're saying that sexual tension is the key to any good sitcom/videogame?"

I think he's saying that with a romance, sexual tension is more compelling before acknowledgement and consummation. If so, that's an understandable though somewhat masculine view.

I'd suggest that compelling sexual tension is simply easier *to write* in the before stage. Likely because the western idea of 'romance' has its roots in a social environment of arranged marriages and sexual repression. Like all literature, early romantic reflected the morality of its time and after a character's sexual tension was acted on the mood often turned tragic. The romance of Lancelet and Genevieve are good examples.

Kazic:

" Lets just keep it traditional shall we? Ya'll don't want any "man love" and I certainly don't want any girl action, so lets keep it clean, I think."

I appreciate your sentiment on this matter and perhaps same-sex romances would not be an element LucasArts would desire in their games. However, as all romance is player-controlled, I don't think this is something you'll have to worry about.

On the other hand, my sentiments don't exactly mirror yours and perhaps neither did that of the original developer as there was a same-sex romance in the first game. I am rather curious as to whether or not Obsidian has done the same be it "man love" or "girl action". Either way, there is no doubt in my mind that Obsidian would "keep it clean".

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

SilverSun:

" Though I'm curious, does this mean they're all very dark romances? With rather bitter sweet ends to them?"

That is what it sounded like to me. Developers continue to call this a very 'dark' game, much like "The Empire Strikes Back" was the darkest of the three movie. It makes sense that the romances in this game would soak in the general tone and mood.

DarthDoGooder:

I understand your appreciation for this game and the company who created it but, in my experience, attitudes like this tend to lead to disappointment. This is the first game from a new company and while I do believe it will be excellent there are always aspects of a game that aren't what we desire or that could have used just that much more polish.

If nothing else, perhaps you ought to play the game before you decide that it's the best RPG of the decade.

jabberwalki

Romancible hoverbikes?

Given that Tw'lik pleasure slaves serviced you with massages, it would be easy enough to slip that into the game. It's somewhat unlikely that you'll develop a romantic relationship with any of the game's droids, however.

Tel Aviv:

" I found this particularly interesting. Though perhaps my feeble brain has misunderstood. Does this mean plot related romances between characters outside the party."

I interpreted it as meaning a possible romance between the PC and an NPC not in the party. Such is the ambiguous nature of Chris' comment though that any number of interpretations could be made. I guess we'll just have to wait until Tuesday.

Bazarel:

" Just hope all romances have a possibility to lead somewhere, with hard work hate the ones where you work hard on them and in the End, sorry my position cant allow such or we shouldnt do this it not the way of the Jedi lets stay friends."

I hope all romances lead to whatever conclusion is the best for those two characters. For some that might mean consummation while others might mean break-up. 

Loazi:

" You watch those shows? So what, you're saying that sexual tension is the key to any good sitcom/videogame?"

I think he's saying that with a romance, sexual tension is more compelling before acknowledgement and consummation. If so, that's an understandable though somewhat masculine view.

I'd suggest that compelling sexual tension is simply easier *to write* in the before stage.  Likely because the western idea of 'romance' has its roots in a social environment of arranged marriages and sexual repression. Like all literature, early romantic reflected the morality of its time and after a character's sexual tension was acted on the mood often turned tragic. The romance of Lancelet and Genevieve are good examples. 

Kazic:

" Lets just keep it traditional shall we? Ya'll don't want any "man love" and I certainly don't want any girl action, so lets keep it clean, I think."

I appreciate your sentiment on this matter and perhaps same-sex romances would not be an element LucasArts would desire in their games. However, as all romance is player-controlled, I don't think this is something you'll have to worry about.

On the other hand, my sentiments don't exactly mirror yours and perhaps neither did that of the original developer as there was a same-sex romance in the first game. I am rather curious as to whether or not  Obsidian has done the same be it "man love" or "girl action". Either way, there is no doubt in my mind that Obsidian would "keep it clean".

Obsidian would "keep it clean" because they could have their ass sued by Lucas for 'degrading' his product or 'casting it in a dereputable light'. Star wars is to clean, the fartherest they'll go into tabboo areas is when vader cut lukes hand off or the Anakin Padme thing.

On the subjeect of romances I think that while the PC can act how he wants, Character like Rand or Bao Dur will kind of see relationship in a certain way, like Rand will be the 'love them & leave them type of guy'.

SilverSun:

DarthDoGooder:

jabberwalki

Romancible hoverbikes?

Tel Aviv:

Bazarel:

Loazi:

I'd suggest that compelling sexual tension is simply easier *to write* in the before stage.  Likely because the western idea of 'romance' has its roots in a social environment of arranged marriages and sexual repression. Like all literature, early romantic reflected the morality of its time and after a character's sexual tension was acted on the mood often turned tragic. The romance of Lancelet and Genevieve are good examples. 

Kazic:

On the other hand, my sentiments don't exactly mirror yours and perhaps neither did that of the original developer as there was a same-sex romance in the first game. I am rather curious as to whether or not  Obsidian has done the same be it "man love" or "girl action". Either way, there is no doubt in my mind that Obsidian would "keep it clean".

Obsidian would "keep it clean" because they could have their ass sued by Lucas for 'degrading' his product or 'casting it in a dereputable light'. Star wars is to clean, the fartherest they'll go into tabboo areas is when vader cut lukes hand off or the Anakin Padme thing.

On the subjeect of romances I think that while the PC can act how he wants, Character like Rand or Bao Dur will kind of see relationship in a certain way, like Rand will be the 'love them & leave them type of guy'.

I'm aware of the same sex stuff in kotor 1, but it was done very tastfully. What some people were suggestingt didn't seem tasteful. I was just good naturedly ribbing anyway. I wasn't totally serious.

I'm aware of the same sex stuff in kotor 1, but it was done very tastfully. What some people were suggestingt didn't seem tasteful.

The Star Wars universe is an intensely sexless place; the farthest they're ever likely to go into the subject is kissing (without tongues) and painful dialogue ala the line about the sand and Padme's skin in Episode II that set off a nation-wide simultaneous cringe in every theater the movie was playing in.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I know I was cringing when anakin dropped that line. Padme deserved everything that happened to her afterwards, just for falling for it lol.

Whatever did she see in him? He was a whiny homicidal dork! She should have gone for, oh, I dunno... anyone else!

*cough*

mace_windu.jpg

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Whatever did she see in him? He was a whiny homicidal dork! She should have gone for, oh, I dunno... anyone else!

*cough*

mace_windu.jpg

Trying to tell us a little something about yourself

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

*cough*

mace_windu.jpg

Hey, it's his duty to please that booty.

He can give her a foot massage (anyone who's seen Pulp Fiction will know what I'm on about).

Jules = SLJ.

Vincent: Have you ever given a foot massage?

Jules: Don't be tellin' me about foot massages - I'm the foot ****in' master.

Vincent: Given a lot of 'em?

Jules: **** yeah. I got my technique down and everything, I don't be tickling or nothin'.

Vincent: Would you give a guy a foot massage?

Jules: **** you.

Vincent: You give them a lot?

Vincent: You know, I'm getting kinda tired, I could use a foot massage.

Jules: Man, you best back off, I'm gittin' pissed.

Indeed.

He can give her a foot massage (anyone who's seen Pulp Fiction will know what I'm on about).

Jules = SLJ.

Vincent: Have you ever given a foot massage?

Jules: Don't be tellin' me about foot massages - I'm the foot ****in' master.

Vincent: Given a lot of 'em?

Jules: **** yeah. I got my technique down and everything, I don't be tickling or nothin'.

Vincent: Would you give a guy a foot massage?

Vincent: You give them a lot?

Vincent: You know, I'm getting kinda tired, I could use a foot massage.

Jules: Man, you best back off, I'm gittin' pissed.

That was a great movie, infact I was just talking about it

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.