How important is the ending to you?

Amidst the revelation that Sith Lord's ending well give us some varying story depending on how we behaved during the game. I was wondering how important is a solid ending to all of you players?

The endings for the original KOTOR we're generally not held as wonderful, pretty lame was the consensus I believe. How much did that take away from the game do you think?

I love a good ending - and I am excited about the prospect of one that will feel rewarding from Sith Lords.

What game endings still have a special place in all you guys hearts?

Also all this flexibility where do we think it might lead for the 3rd instalment? How many questions are we going to have to answer to get all the details from this game translated into a possible third game?

A game without a good ending is lame.

Agreed, it is important :D

I kinda liked the LS ending of KotOR though, it was gratifying :(

Being able to see the results on planets you've visited at the end of this game should make it more gratifying :D

KotOR 3? Well, think of all the questions you'd have to answer.... LS/DS Male/Female Revan, LS/DS Male/Female Exile, and who knows what all else, talk about a devs nightmare. Maybe they'll mix it up and keep the exile as the NPC and let you input your Sith Lords character into it (w00t)

Gratifying endings? Very important. A sense of closure and a sense that your actions have had some effect on the gameworld make what came before all the more gratifying.

My two favorites would be Planescape: Torment (I won't spoil anything, but suffice to say that whoever got that ending green-lighted had balls the size of church bells to even suggest it, much less pull it off) and Deus Ex (three endings, not a single one clear-cut 'good' or 'bad', thus forcing the player to think and make moral choices....though the actually endings themselves were nothing special.)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I loved the ending to Kotor 1. I played as the redeemed noble Revan saving Bastila from the Darkside through love. hehe

When they had that close up closing shot with the starfighters zooming overhead and classic Star Wars music I clapped and said, "What an awesome experience."

I guess I'm in the minority here?

Other endings I enjoyed.

Final Fantasy 6

Ninja Gaiden 2

Baldur's Gate 2

Final Fantasy 8...I'm a sucker for happy loving endings.

Planescape Torment

Fallout 1, 2

There are probably more but I'm drugged up right now.

This is very subjective depending on the player's tastes. I agree with the general concept that games should have great endings (And many bad endings have detracted greatly from my experience with a game I was really liking until then too many times) but what may be considered a great ending for one person is not necessarily a great ending for another.

Personally I like endings that more or less hint where the characters will go next, I like seeing interactions between characters in the end and shows how they've grown, but mostly I enjoy an ending that gives a resolution to the events on the story and the internal strife of the characters. I hate however "cliffhanger" endings, not only do they leave in me a sense of non-accomplishment but sometimes are left there as the continuation is never made and the story is left unfinished.

I liked the LS ending in KotOR, too plain and not inspiring for me to love it, but I liked it. The DS was ok, I would have preferred something darker and seeing Revan holding much more power than a couple of people gathered arpund the temple.

My two cents.

I loved the ending to Kotor 1. I played as the redeemed noble Revan saving Bastila from the Darkside through love. hehe

When they had that close up closing shot with the starfighters zooming overhead and classic Star Wars music I clapped and said, "What an awesome experience."

I guess I'm in the minority here?

I loved everything that came before the ending. The thing with the medals and the cheering crowd and everyone with their stupid smiles and poses....that's what I didn't like. Anti-climax to the nth power.

The Dark Side ending was better, but still nothing special.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I agree with Ivan on the KOTOR endings I loved everything before them, but the endings themselves especially the light side ending, left me feeling very empty.

Sounds like I am really missing a puppy by not having played Planetscape.

My own ending choices were, the Super Metriod ending, pure classic gold. The ending of the Human arc of Warcraft III (The Prince returning to the city) the whole scene was utterly fulfilling. The last few scenes of SK's Legacy of Kain orignal was also something i enjoyed richly.

I agree with Ivan on the KOTOR endings I loved everything before them, but the endings themselves especially the light side ending, left me feeling very empty.

Sounds like I am really missing a puppy by not having played Planetscape.

My own ending choices were, the Super Metriod ending, pure classic gold. The ending of the Human arc of Warcraft III (The Prince returning to the city) the whole scene was utterly fulfilling. The last few scenes of SK's Legacy of Kain orignal was also something i enjoyed richly.

You are missing a huge puppy not playing Torment. Ivan is completely right when he said the guy who had that ending going had balls of titanium.

Get a copy somewhere and play this game. The graphics are totally great too. I still love them to this day.

The NPCs are all extremely fleshed out and sometimes I found myself not playing the game but just talking to them.

A game without a good ending is lame.

Not sure I'd go that far, but I do agree that the game would seem rather....unsatisfying without a good ending.

It's like sex without....err nevermind. :-

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

A bad ending (or endings in this instance) won't make or break a game for me. There is so much more that goes into my enjoyment of a game, and the ending holds relatively little weight unless it is truly something unique. Most (videogame) endings can be so easily predicted these days that the disappointment factor, while present, just doesn't have as big an impact anymore. I expect not to be blown away, so when it doens't happen, its no biggie. Of course, those times I am are all the more satisfing.

Even though I wasn't all happy about the ending in KOTOR1(though as many have said, it was really nice everythign BEFORE the ending) I really have high hopes for KOTOR2. I mean my favorite game ending(or story) is Planescape: Torment, I've played that game soooo many times JUST for the ending, and if I'm not mistaken a certain Chris Avellone and surely more people from Obsidian Ent. were involved with that grand ending(and the whole game ofcourse).

Though I doubt they can beat PS:T with the ending in KOTOR2, I still think that it will be great.

The ending is very important to me...I am kind of expecting to stand beside Revan at the end of KOTOR 2 on either side of the force (Light Side/Dark Side) In fact I know this might not happen though.

If you served Revan in the Jedi cival war 5 years eariler why shouldn't you stand beside Revan at the end of KOTOR 2?

Unsatisfying ending: Rome: Total War. Fun game, lame ending.

funny I was gonna say the same thing .. good game, really short and bad ending! but then again, most strategy games aren't known for their great endings! although there are a few!

I liked both endings in KOTOR .. especially DS, the music was perfect and when the SW end music came you felt ready to take your new fleet out and conquer the galaxy!

and the LS ending was a classical! with a closeup on all the characters and Zaalbars "grrrooarh" .. a little cliche perhaps, but it worked for me!

Fortune favors the bald.

The ending is very important to me...I am kind of expecting to stand beside Revan at the end of KOTOR 2 on either side of the force (Light Side/Dark Side) In fact I know this might not happen though.

If you served Revan in the Jedi cival war 5 years eariler why shouldn't you stand beside Revan at the end of KOTOR 2?

You really like Revan don't you? :)

It would be a nice tiuch to have Revan in the end, one way or another.

Oh, and yes the ending is very important, but i would survive if the ending was mediocre...

LS ending of KOTOR was extremely lame.

DS ending howewer was pretty good and convincing.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

My two favorites would be Planescape: Torment (I won't spoil anything, but suffice to say that whoever got that ending green-lighted had balls the size of church bells to even suggest it, much less pull it off)...

Damn you Ivan, now I feel all melancholy again. Something like that is unlikely to ever get published again... :'(

A strong ending can make or break an otherwise mediocre game just as well as a great game.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

torment's ending was pretty damn good. no matter how good you are, you can be a paragon of virtue, lawful good and all that, but the crimes that TNO committed were too great that you still go to hell no matter what, and it's good that at the end TNO comes to grips with that.

i got annoyed at all those people saying they hated the ending for HL2 though, i loved it, but you don't get much closure due to the fact that it's not the END yet. plus, if you'd have continued you woulda pretty much been blown up, now THAT ending would've been worse.

Ending is everything, it like Dragonheart 2 when you see the villain die that easy the film goes down the train.

Alot of good film and games been completely broken because of bad endings, ending is the point where story or plot reach its climax, and we all know what a bad climax is like :p .. or not hehe.

I guess I am also with the minority when I say I absolutely loved the LS ending for K1. My Revan with his whole crew getting their medals from Admiral Dodonna and getting praise from Vandar and the Jedi Council also left me getting up and clapping. I had the sense that Revan would go and do greater things, especially when he told Malak: " I believe in Redemption". Great stuff

I hope we get some kind of ending similar to that but in front of the Jedi Council and maybe Revan on Coruscant.

*ahem* The DS ending was cool too.