Designer Rambling: Returning Companions and Levels

I look at boththe story aspects and the game rule mechanics equally, for both are important in a CRPG.  If they weren't Obsidian might as well just publish KotOR 2 as a novel instead of a CRPG and be done with it.

The "influence" factor that Chris Avellone commented on is a game feature moreso than a story element. I'm not sure how your analogy to reading a novel fits.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I know, Seriously, is a forum really supposed to be everyone saying......oh yes...I agree....I think this....yes...I agree...splendid.....

no.....now its cool to discuss differences of opinion but I'm pretty sure the wars that have scarred the earth show that war is inevitable. The Darkside will always reign, so lets have alittle fun.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "influence" factor that Chris Avellone commented on is a game feature moreso than a story element.  I'm not sure how your analogy to reading a novel fits.

Well, it moseso fits how I do my own writing. When I create characters for a sotry I write up their complete background, list skills and talents each one can use, the set up a scenerio which they act and react to. I basically role play the character and how much "influence" that character has to the other characters within the story framework will often shape the story. Sort of free form writing which I do and sounds very similar to the Influence system that Chris described, but chennelled in a different way. :devil:

The "influence" factor that Chris Avellone commented on is a game feature moreso than a story element.  I'm not sure how your analogy to reading a novel fits.

Well, it moseso fits how I do my own writing. When I create characters for a sotry I write up their complete background, list skills and talents each one can use, the set up a scenerio which they act and react to. I basically role play the character and how much "influence" that character has to the other characters within the story framework will often shape the story. Sort of free form writing which I do and sounds very similar to the Influence system that Chris described, but chennelled in a different way. :devil:

You know, if you create your PC with the same dedication you create your characters for your writing you'll probably have a blast playing the game. Rule compatibility and all aside.

It is immensely more enjoyable to have the character thought out in your head or paper and then play a game rather than just jumping in.

I used to write pages and pages of background story for my PC in Baldurs Gate and kept my own journal in BG2. The game was greatly enhanced from my perspective as a result.

I know you will enjoy the game Hades!

Well, it moseso fits how I do my own writing.  When I create characters for a sotry I write up their complete background, list skills and talents each one can use, the set up a scenerio which they act and react to.  I basically role play the character and how much "influence" that character has to the other characters within the story framework will often shape the story.  Sort of free form writing which I do and sounds very similar to the Influence system that Chris described, but chennelled in a different way.  :devil:

Meh, to me it's just as much a gameplay feature as the feats and skills aspect are. Sure they affect the story, but their purpose is gameplay related.

*shrugs*

Ah well, your choice. I know I'm going to keep an open mind and enjoy the new features while not dwelling too much on what I might have changed or done differently if I had the ability to make the game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I didn't say the d20 system wasn't fun.  I gave you a hypothetical situation in which we assume it wasn't as fun as what Obsidian implemented.  In other words, if the modifications they've made improve upon the d20 system, are you really that stubborn that you'd still let something like that ruin your experience?

Yes, because I have certain expectations when I get a game and one of those expectations when I bought KotOR was that I was buying a SW d20 CRPG.

Ivan:  Yes that is very impressive but that does not change the game rules mechanics.

Ok first off, in the past i have heard you admit that you found KOTOR fun despite any problems you had with it, so it obviously didn't completely ruin your experience.

Second, we have told you in the past (by "we" I think we can safely include 98% of the board) that this game (KOTOR 2) IS NOT a Star Wars D20 simulation and/or emulator. I think you have noted the same thing several times :devil: . So despite that to continue to have "expectations" that the game is going to be a SW d20 game is almost the same as me expecting the sun to come up in the North. It's night time right now and if I fully expected the sun to rise in the North tomorrow, and continued to afgue with 98% of the people I came in contact with, I would in reality just make myself look stupid to 98% of the people I met. That's what you have been doing for months now. Stupid and irrational doesn't lend any credence to your argument, if you even had one to begin with.

Thanks Chris for the Info

But still the characters from K1 in my opinion are still heros and are still legendary no matter what happened to them. The stories of Revan Bastilla Carth Jolee Juhani Mission Canderous T3-M4 and HK-47 and Zalbaar the legends of them will still live on in many genderations to come in the Star Wars universe!

:thumbsup::lol: :cool:

/Begin Designer Rambling.

You may encounter characters from K1 in K2. In most cases, you'll soon find they have very definite reasons why they are not level 20+ if you ask them - whether because of war wounds, behavior core damage and battle scars, memory wipes, and other unpleasantness that has crippled their attributes, skills, and in some cases, their knowledge of certain events.

Part of this is for story reasons, and the other reason is that we can't have level 20 characters join your party for balance reasons. It's a pretty common RPG convention, but there are explanations for why T3 is no longer a walking nuclear warhead with 20+ ultra powerful droid items to choose from.

/End Designer Rambling.

As long there is a good game mechanic reason for it as per the rules of Star Wars d20 I say go for it. If not, its just lame. Period.

I don't care as much for game mechanics as I do for a good explanation. If they have managed to think of some original stories and we don't end up with a level 2 Canderous, it'll be just fine with me. I never liked very much the idea of level 20 NPCs by the end of the game, anyway.

However, I can't see how the game is going to benefit from having the same old characters all over again. The cameo idea was cool, but getting them in your party... I don't know.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

However, I can't see how the game is going to benefit from having the same old characters all over again. The cameo idea was cool, but getting them in your party... I don't know.

Probably just the droids that can join you. Maybe Canderous is Mandalore and can join you, maybe not. Time will tell.

Why does hades turn every thread into the same old must use d20 rules i used to enjoy these designer rambling threads until i read the following pages of it. I wouldn't complain if hades complained about something new each time but it is just to much like seeing the same arguement 55000 times(I dont know what to search for to find out how many times hades has started this arguement but i figure i'm pretty close with the figure) so say something new

Why do I get the feeling that Bastila will be trashed again?

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Yeah, if you really want to have her fans chasing you with lightsabers!

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Atris is truly beatiful but since I prefer brunettes, Bastila is still better to me.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES: