From Realtime to TSL Turn Based Play?

I've been playing Fable and Halo2 quite heavily and I wonder if I'm going to be the only one who suffers from a little "turn-based let down?

I popped in KOTOR1 recently and it felt slow compared to these other games. I'm so used to taking out opponents with one swing of my blade or one shot from my guns that it frustrated me slightly that the lightsaber is such a weak weapon early on in the game.

I don't want lightning fast duels mind you, but the non Jedi opponents can take a lightsaber hit and keep coming at you. In Fable you could roll out of the way or block ttacks. In KOTOR I did enjoy the effects of blocking blaster fire, but you could still suffer considerable damage in melee combat situations.

I guess I really should stop playing these other games with KOTOR2 so close to release now.

Yes, I also ran into this problem awhile back.

I was playing Prince of Persia Warrior Within Demo like mad. I was rolling around and back flipping and jumping off enemies onto walls then used the walls to shoot myself straight through an enemy.

Then I started playing Kotor and kept trying to roll around and jump.

The opposite applies too.

When I was playing the BG/Kotor/IWD for a long time then started playing Real Time Strategies and action games, I kept instinctively pressing spacebar to pause the game whenever I ran into enemies. I died a lot until I got used to the various controls again.

So you think kotor2 will be too slow for you bcs of halo 2 and fable. Why were you playing fable? ;)

Where is the bell, wait for the bell, k i need the bell, wait the bell! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong!

Kazic wants you.... to join the pinkside!

So you think kotor2 will be too slow for you bcs of halo 2 and fable. Why were you playing fable?

Why? There's an interesting question.

The difference in the freedom of movement during combat is the thing I will probably have to get used to, but I'm not anticipating it to be a huge problem after I "get into" the game.

Fable has this one move called "Assassin's Rush" I used this move so much that I barely had to block attacks. Standing there and waiting your turn to be hit will be something that I will have to make an adjustment for.

So you think kotor2 will be too slow for you bcs of halo 2 and fable. Why were you playing fable?

Why? There's an interesting question.

The difference in the freedom of movement during combat is the thing I will probably have to get used to, but I'm not anticipating it to be a huge problem after I "get into" the game.

Fable has this one move called "Assassin's Rush" I used this move so much that I barely had to block attacks. Standing there and waiting your turn to be hit will be something that I will have to make an adjustment for.

I own fable and yea i used assassin's rush alot too, I haven't tried playing kotor yet so I'm not sure if I'll have the same difficulty as you but I probably will (too many countless hours of halo 2 could do that too you)! :D

Where is the bell, wait for the bell, k i need the bell, wait the bell! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong!

I own fable and yea i used assassin's rush alot too, I haven't tried playing kotor yet so I'm not sure if I'll have the same difficulty as you but I probably will (too many countless hours of halo 2 could do that too you)! :D

You haven't played KOTOR yet, but you're on a KOTOR II forum? Just curious, but why are you interested in a sequel to a game you haven't played before?

Or did you mean you haven't played KOTOR II yet? Or is it late at night and I'm reading something that isn't there? ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You haven't played KOTOR yet, but you're on a KOTOR II forum? Just curious, but why are you interested in a sequel to a game you haven't played before?

Or did you mean you haven't played KOTOR II yet? Or is it late at night and I'm reading something that isn't there? ;)

Sorry I'll restate that I haven't played kotor since those games came out, (i've beaten kotor too many times)! :D sorry aboot that!

In KOTOR1 I engaged in very little melee combat late in the game. I'd hit enemies with Insanity, Force Wave, and Death Field. Most dropped after a few turns.

Early in the game you HAVE to enage in melee combat.

As for Halo2, I'm just going to have to stop playing this week to get myself out of that whole Halo mode.

I've been playing Fable and Halo2 quite heavily and I wonder if I'm going to be the only one who suffers from a little "turn-based let down?

I popped in KOTOR1 recently and it felt slow compared to these other games. I'm so used to taking out opponents with one swing of my blade or one shot from my guns that it frustrated me slightly that the lightsaber is such a weak weapon early on in the game.

I don't want lightning fast duels mind you, but the non Jedi opponents can take a lightsaber hit and keep coming at you. In Fable you could roll out of the way or block ttacks. In KOTOR I did enjoy the effects of blocking blaster fire, but you could still suffer considerable damage in melee combat situations.

I guess I really should stop playing these other games with KOTOR2 so close to release now.

Welcome back! :D

A lot of has a happened since you were gone.

i think whats harder is going from turn based to real time, try playing halfway through ninja gaiden then quitting for a couple months of kotor then come back! im absolutely horrible at it now, i'll never finish that damn game.

I know that feeling. TSL seems like there is going to be so much going on when you aren't fighting that when combat does come up it will be delicious. At least that's the picture I'm getting from all of these previews and spoilers.

Speaking of which, I'm just going to avoid the rest of the spoilers. I don't want to steal away my "I'm your father" moment. There are spoilers, and then there is game play ruin.

I probably won't come back here after Dec 6th untill I have beaten the game at least once.

I have no idea what the PC gamers are going to do. They have a longer wait. They should just avoid the outside world and go into hermitage.

i think whats harder is going from turn based to real time, try playing halfway through ninja gaiden then quitting for a couple months of kotor then come back! im absolutely horrible at it now, i'll never finish that damn game.

I bet you try to hit spacebar too. No wait....Ninja Gaiden is XBOX only!

I want to play Ninja Gaiden so bad! I remember first beating Ninja Gaiden 1,2,3 on the NES. I was like, "Wow! This is like a movie! Look at those cool graphics!"

Who remembers Jump and Slash from NG 1?

Sigh...will I fall to the BOXside? There seem to be too many good games that pass me by.

Welcome back! 

ThanX! Nice to be back! And I know, I'm in a serious game of catch up with everything.

I'm dissappointed about there not being any Coruscant in the game, but I'm sure Obsidian has worked out something cool in the way of a Jedi Base in the game.

I didn't finish my speculation on Coruscant once that fact started to set in. It didn't seem right to use the forum for fan fiction because without speculation that's all that it was.

But the possibility of training others in the force is just too great to feel glum over Coruscant not being there.

Welcome back! 

ThanX! Nice to be back! And I know, I'm in a serious game of catch up with everything.

I'm dissappointed about there not being any Coruscant in the game, but I'm sure Obsidian has worked out something cool in the way of a Jedi Base in the game.

I didn't finish my speculation on Coruscant once that fact started to set in. It didn't seem right to use the forum for fan fiction because without speculation that's all that it was.

But the possibility of training others in the force is just too great to feel glum over Coruscant not being there.

Man, your fan fiction was great!

Man, your fan fiction was great!

Thanks, but it looks like Obsidian is heading in a different direction and I'm looking forward to it.

I was so certain that the references to "Room of a Thousand Fountains" and other references to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant meant that they were being worked into the game, but when the official site finally went up, all references to Coruscant had been removed. I pretty much got the message after that.

We still get the Ebon Hawk, so there's no chance of DS players getting the chance to stroll the command deck of their own Sith Destroyer.

Revan is a significant presense in the game and that is one element that I'm glad they followed through on.

XBox Live Downloads have been tossed a 2nd time. This really doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. With KOTOR1 Bioware just has us all waiting around for the longest wondering when the downloadable content would arrive, so it was a HUGE let down. The people at Obsidian are being straight with us from the beginning and I respect that. Xbox gamers know not to hold their breath for something they know isn't going to arrive.

The introduction of a Zabrak is cool if he can actually become a Jedi. I'm not worried about that either. When PC gamers get their hands on it he will probably be swinging a lightsaber even if he is a non Jedi character.

It's too soon to get excited about planet levels. The locations sound interesting. I only hope they compare to that feeling I got when I was on Taris for the very first time. Metting Bastilla, Mission and Zalbaar for the first time, hearing the sad story of the outcasts living in the bowels of the planet and then helping them escape their plight. And of course the feeling of accomplishment when you escape the planet's destruction and set down on Dantooine and the Jedi Enclave. Each planet with the single exception of Mannaan gave me that feeling. Mannaan was not only boring, but Sith were walking around everywhere insulting you and even telling jokes to your face when you tell them you were Revan. I did like the court trial it was a nice diveresion from an otherwise sleeply planet level. Here's to hoping we get another shot at the court.

Atton doesn't "appear" to be a whiner. There have been all kinds of homosexual references to him in various threads here. Looks like some people think Atton will be the "Juhani" of TSL.

I wished we had got some info on some voice talent and some wavs of the games soundtrack that being scored by a full orchestra.

This could be the longest week for any of us around here. Here's to hoping that all the interest that we have invested in this forum and this game title is worth it.

I haven't had any trouble with going for turned base to twitch. In fact, I don't think I've ever really had interface trouble.

I still don't get why some people complain about black and white's interface. <_<

Fnord.