Morgoth's Model Gallery

Morgoth

Ok, here I've some models I created in Maya, those are my first high-poly models where I really worked hard, while my previous one's aren't really worthy to show you. Keep in mind that the UV's and Textures (as you can see) aren't placed yet, that's a discipline I've yet to learn properly. For now I'm more concentrating on creating clean Polygon Meshes, both for in-game usage and Renderart.

Okay, here's a female body I created last week. Please feel free to comment what you like and what not.

I used a blueprint for the general shape and muscles splitting from an anatomical draw book, scanned it and imported the Image Planes into Maya. That's the way to go anyway...

Female High-Res Body

Female High-Res Body (Updated)

The same model, but stripped down for in-game usage. With a poly-count of 4208 I think it's a very reasonable number for most games today (although with a head that could raise up to ~6000 polys).

Female Game Mesh

And here's my first high-res Troll-head I just created today, guided by a nice Tutorial I found here.

Troll-Head Side View

Troll-Head Rendershot

Just tell me what you think and give me feedback in this thread if you think something doesn't really look natural from an anatomical standpoint.

Enjoy! :ermm:

Edit: First link fixed.

Well the troll looks good, but the woman needs some work. Mostly just proportion stuff, the shape is pretty good. Her legs are too long, her buttocks sticks out too much, and her ribs are a little off. The ribcage should have more of a round shape when you look from the side.

Also, could you post a shot of the mesh for your hi-res woman? Just to see your linework. There are a few edges on the model that are too hard, need more subtle lines.

Edit: Oh, a hint for you, when you're modeling, put basic grey lambert material on your model, removes the shine and makes it a lot easier to see how things look.

Example

Edit2: Also, which program do you use? Just looking at your troll mesh, and the 60 thousand polys is a bit much. You can get the same results with probably less than a third of those polys with geometry approximation. I know XSI has it, but I'm not sure about other programs.

Mod edit: Link to photo model removed due to decency concerns.. sorry. - Phosphor

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Thanks for the response people, I appreciate it!

@Oerwinde

True, the legs are a little bit too long, and I'll try to fix the ribcage and add some ribs. Though, I think the butt is alright. The feet and hands aren't perfect either, but I think for game-usage it's ok.

I'll keep that with the lambert material in mind.

Oh, and here's a shot where you can see the linework.

Female Linework

Keep in mind that's my first high-res model, if I think the ribcage and ribs cannot be fixed anymore due to messed up edgeloops, I think I'll redo it completely.

When I get home I'll look into it...

@Weiser Cain

I'll look into that, thanks.

For the future (if I've the time) I'll also make a male body, as well as maybe a horse. And several faces.

Thanks for the response people, I appreciate it!

@Oerwinde

True, the legs are a little bit too long, and I'll try to fix the ribcage and add some ribs. Though, I think the butt is alright. The feet and hands aren't perfect either, but I think for game-usage it's ok.

I'll keep that with the lambert material in mind.

Oh, and here's a shot where you can see the linework.

Female Linework

Keep in mind that's my first high-res model, if I think the ribcage and ribs cannot be fixed anymore due to messed up edgeloops, I think I'll redo it completely.

When I get home I'll look into it...

Hehehe, after seeing the mesh I can see it would be hard to fix. Look into geometry approximation, you can keep your models low poly and easier to work with.

For example, this is the wireframe for the female body I posted above. I think her hips are a little off, but I think she worked out ok for a days work.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, I showed you the smoothed model. Of course I'm working with a "Cage" Model (Smooth-Proxy method called in Maya), otherwise it would be a single nightmare to alter the smoothed model.... :)

Edit: Your female model looks very...robust. :ninja: But the edgeloops are very clean, and the feet from what I can see even look better than mine (err, my model I mean).

Okey Dokey, now I fixed the ribcage as well as shortened the legs a little bit. I've also tried to add some ribs, but decided to leave them out, because they just didn't look good, or maybe it's just because I don't like meager woman.

Anyway: Female High-Res Body Update#1

Isn't the Lambert so much easier to work with?

It was wierd, the ribcage looked a lot better, then I looked back at your original and put them side by side and it didn't look like you changed anything, in fact your old one looked better. So maybe I was just looking at it wrong.

But yeah, still some proportion problems. Here's a quick photoshop showing what I mean. My changes are still a little off, I think I left the knees too low, but anyway, you should get the idea. Looking good though. Are you self taught or trained?

Devastatorsig.jpg

No, how? In fact, I thought the Blinn material looks sexier! :D

It was wierd, the ribcage looked a lot better, then I looked back at your original and put them side by side and it didn't look like you changed anything, in fact your old one looked better. So maybe I was just looking at it wrong.

Actually, the ribcage was a bit wedge-shaped, the new one (although it's hard to see now without the sexy Blinn material) is rounder...

I shortened the legs just a little bit on the shank, though I admit they look still too long from the front, but look okay from the side.... :ph34r:

I guess I'll make a mermaid or an elve out of it, and will completely redo a human female body another time...

For now, I'll let it be as it is and better move forward to do something new instead of wasting time to fix a half-broken model...

But yeah, still some proportion problems. Here's a quick photoshop showing what I mean. My changes are still a little off, I think I left the knees too low, but anyway, you should get the idea.

Looks more like a dwarf now! :p

Looking good though. Are you self taught or trained?

Autodidact.

No, how? In fact, I thought the Blinn material looks sexier! :D

Its easier to see how the curves and such work without it being all shiny. At least thats how I found it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So, after writing some exams, working on another project and playing too much Bloodlines, I finally found (took) some time to crawl my ass back to Maya and doing some magical stuff with it. My groundbreaking discovery of today: Normal Maps! Yes, Normal Maps. Those things you extract from a Hi-Res Model (normal vectors saved into the rgb channels) and then apply it to a Low-Res model. This method is very common in the game industry, because you can fake details on your Low-res objects/characters that actually do not exist, at least not as polygons. I also figured out how to export and convert that stuff from Maya into the Source Engine (Half-Life 2). That was a pain into the ass, but I did it eventually. Unfortunately my normal map for my troll does not look like as supposed to be, but that's another story....

Here's an example of a wall.

The Wall

Here the same wall (actually a plane), loaded in HL2MV:

The Wall (again)

And here's my famous Troll, let's call him Trolo:

Trolo the beautiful Troll (Updated)

Unfortunately I didn't spend much time to layout the UV's (well, in fact, I only applied a spherical mapper), so the result looks pretty messy. :p

The Normal Map is okay, the UV's not, but I think you should get the idea.

Ok here's just a little update about my progress, because I know you're all insanely interested in my magical stuff. :(

I replaced the crappy "Trolo the Troll" shot with a new one, this time with better UV layout, hence a better result with the Normal Map too. I also managed it to reduce the polycount of the head down to 1577 Triangles. Trolo the beautiful Troll

I've also an in-game HL2 shot (Update: This time with Lightmap) of the head, but unfortunately the Normal Map does not have that intensity I was hoping about, maybe it's because Maya and HL2 use a different up-axis, or maybe it's because I used an object-spaced NM instead of a Tangent-Spaced NM, or does it even matter? Hmmm....

When I get home I might be able to show of one of my wondrous creations.. straight out of the Maya tutorials.. heh

Im a complete and utter n00b when it comes to 3D. I dont even know what a UV is.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Don't worry mate, sooner or later you'll know how to handle UV's properly, but only through the hard way... :devil:

I'll continue with my modeling sessions soon, but before I must practice with layouting UV's myself... oh and I'm also itchy about knowing how to prelight a scene (aka baking lightmaps).

Have a nice and productive day! :devil:

For what reason are you creating these images? You said something about a game in one of your posts. I'm curious.

As far as the quality, I simply don't have the experience to be critical in a technical sense. However, I agree with you in that the models would probably suffice for most games. The question is, how hard is it to model movement and such?

At any rate, I'm always impressed by folks who have the drive to create stuff like this... and I never knew Oerwinde was such the modler!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!