Designer Ramblings: Influence

I'm certainly excited about it. Maybe some decent character interaction for once!

Bastila: What do you think of blah blah blah?

Revan: Don't you ever shut up you preachy bimbo-snob?

Bastila: I love you! Let me tell you all my darkest secrets...

Not too high on realism back then...

"You shall not pass!"

Yes. It was just odd to watch.

Occasionally Bastila would make some comment about "most frustrating man I've ever met" and then fall in love with you anyway.

Other than that, rudeness seemed to just brush off people. You could be rude 100 times then pick a different dialogue option and be their closest friend.

It made Revan seem immature and the party seem like they weren't listening to half the stuff he said.

"You shall not pass!"

Yes. It was just odd to watch.

Occasionally Bastila would make some comment about "most frustrating man I've ever met" and then fall in love with you anyway.

Other than that, rudeness seemed to just brush off people. You could be rude 100 times then pick a different dialogue option and be their closest friend.

It made Revan seem immature and the party seem like they weren't listening to half the stuff he said.

lol Obviously you don't know women, I never overly compliment women or suck up or anything, Im not a jerk, but I tease them and I make them really frusterated, at the same time I make them laugh, and then I piss them off, and then get a smile out of them somehow....girls like that....and that's why (at least I thought) bastilla acted like that, she liked the bad boy that frusterated her (she was frusterated cuz she was attracted) at least thats what I thought, maybe it was just a glithc and in the game u really can only develope a romance by pouring compliment after compliment and begging for the girls time, but in real life it doesnt work like that, unless u just want to find a wife to whip u around and wear the pants....Muahaha

i just hope we don't have to give them therapy like other games. with bastila its like "oh im so stuffy and don't get on with my mum," with aerie its "oh, my wings!" with jaheira its "oh! my husband is recently brutally murdered yet i fancy you!" and with viconia its "oh! im a runaway drow with trust issues which causes me to verbally abuse you when we get close!" with anomen its "im a wanker and but i cant help it! +angry dad" and with carth its "im a whiner but i cant help it! +sith son"

bastila's romance was refreshing in a way because it was more casual than those bg2 romances.

from what i can gather so far the handmaiden will be fawning over you and you probably have to rip out her spine to get her to stop and vm will be all secretive and not let on that she wants you kinda like helga from "hey arnold!" that cartoon. atton will probably be shy unless he goes dark. i dunno the other romances. if mandalore is canderous then i dont think he'd be into a romance, but loadsa girls said they wanted a canderous romance for kotor so........ whatever. but back on topic

influence = top notch!

Yes indeed :)

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

More designer ramblings, this time on Influence.

In K1, you would have the options to speak to your companions about their past or current problems, and these would usually be governed by a pop-up message ([Carth looks worried, perhaps you should speak to him]) or by leveling up.

In K2, we removed the leveling and "so and so looks worried" triggers and incorporated the same mechanic into Influence - instead of pop-up triggers, we've given you a few choices:

1. The amount you can learn about a companion's past, present, or even future problems depends on how much Influence you have with them, not level. So the more time you spend with a companion either crushing their spirit or helping them, the more options this will open in dialogues with them.

2. Influence is not gained simply by doing good and evil acts - it depends on the companion's personality. Some respond better to displays of strength, loyalty, betrayal, or other personality traits that don't always fall neatly into good or evil categories.

3. Influence markers will appear in companion dialogues when you make certain choices - these will be marked as [influence: Failure] and [influence: Success], and they'll let you know when you either have or don't have enough Influence to get an answer about a specific question about a companion.

4. The more influence you have with a companion will also begin to have an effect on their alignment (this also depends on the companion - some companions, no matter what your influence is, will not be subject to this alignment shift). In some cases, it will also begin to have an effect on OTHER companions, and they may start getting pissed off in a major way.

5. Some companions are very hard to Influence, and it is difficult to gain maximum Influence with all companions over the course of the game. This is done for replayability reasons.

6. You can only gain Influence with companions who are in your party.

7. And lastly, because some people just hate this crap, you don't ever have to speak to your companions at ALL and your Influence with them will never matter - whether you want to plumb the depths of their personality is solely your choice, and the game will not force it on you.

However...

8. If you do, almost every character has rewards for completing their internal or external Influence companion quests, and it can prove worthwhile in the long run.

Anyway, enough ramblings for now.

This is by far the coolest game concept I've heard of in a long while :(

Moving away from the "Get next level, get more information from your party members" is probably a good thing. I will openly admit that there were times where I was level hunting just so I could get an NPC I liked to talk to me again. Assuming the influencing feels natural, and you get enough of a sense (even a meta-gaming sense, for later play throughs) of what might influence your companions, I think this alternative could work well.

I will admit that I have mixed feelings about knowing it's impossible to get all of your companions' stories in one play through. Dark Side vs Light Side doesn't bother me. I never play Dark Side anyway. But knowing that spending time with one person in the party means that I likely will not learn the story of another person left back on the 'Hawk makes me sniffle greatly. I understand and appreciate the desire to appeal to replayability, but I love this kinda stuff and wish that I could rotate the party and get to them all in time. Then again, in the first game you COULD get most everyone's stories, but I actually didn't travel with Canderous or Juhani enough to get them in the first play through anyway.

I'm glad that your influence can't turn ALL people from their starting alignment. Having influence on your friends and allies is one thing, but I'm glad some of them hold to their own convictions regardless. Provides an interesting mix of personalities.

I'm also waiting for February. Alas.

Very interesting. I hope that we get some indication (from dialogue, etc) of what might influence the NPCs, otherwise it might seem a bit random.

Oh, and I hope that mad persuasion skillz and/or Dominate Mind would make influencing noticeably easier. I'd really like to plumb the characters of both Kreia and Atton on my first play-through with a LS Consular and I hope that via Persuasion I'd be able to do so despite their apparent antagonism.