TSL -- The TV Commercial

I must say that I didn't like the way the KOTOR commercial was done. It used false music and when I mean false I mean music that wasn't even in the game (Imperial March). It had nothing to do with the story other then you could be DS or LS.

This time around the commercial should feature music that is actually in the game. I mean the Bastila Shan theme (Music you hear when on top of Temple talking to Bastila on Rakata Planet) would have been perfect for the KOTOR commercial. Also the commercial should focus more around the story instead of a game option/feature of being DS/LS. This time the commercial should let it be known that the Sith are back, the Republic is on the verge of collapse, the Jedi are near extinct, and you are the last known Jedi. THEN it can add some extra things in like party member alignment and such but it should get the basis don't first.

What do you guys think?

Also when will we start seeing TSL commercials? Or will the sequel to a 2003 GOTY even have any commercials?

Indeed.

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

I've seen some online ads, but that's about it. I think KotOR2 deserves more attention than this, it's likely to be even better than the first. However, it got FAR more advertising than Half-Life 2. Half-Life had little to no ads leading up to approach, running purely on word of mouth. Whether this was a mistake on Vivendi's part we have yet to see. I hope KotOR2 does well.

Who cares about a stupid commercial anyway???

I'd rather the money they would spen on it be rather spent on further development of the PC version :D

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Doubt George bother doing anything aside from supervising meetings if that at all theres way to many starwars project to do them all, think he might have a assistent aware of his standards doing that for him.

Think he primary work on films and thats probaly it...

Well, if KotOR2 sells lots of copies we are lucky to see more chances of getting a third game. Plus the marketing may increase sales on Xbox, helping to fuel PC development.

Somehow I doubt that sorry guys I think pretty much it's a done deal there just mass producing the game now ... and besides the dev's have about a years wprth of gaming time to catch up on after they handed in the final product do you really think they're gonna go back and say "Ha there's the golden problem I've been meaning to fix...hey guys let's do it now that the final products in"

:lol:" I really don't know about you but when I'm done with something it's done and whoever bitches about my work can shove it unless it's constructive criticism and not just whineing :cool:

Are we talking about the same trailer that has been on the lucasarts website for weeks, or is there an exclusive trailer for TV?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The other day I contacted Lucasarts to see if I could get 3 copies of TSL to give away in a contest. The representative I talked to said that they aren't doing any contest with TSL cause TSL is one of their more popular games and they rather get those extra sells rather then just give them away. They did however offer to give me 3 copies of Republic Commando when that comes out though.

Well later on I goto Gamespot.com and TSL is not in the top 10 of overall games. Funny cause when there was less then 14 days before the KOTOR release KOTOR was the #1 overall game on GS.com. Hold on there is a point I'm getting to here. Then I head to Gamespot: Xbox to see where TSL stands....it isn't even in the top 3 infact it is #4.

The point I'm trying to get to is....TSL is supposed to be LA's more popular games but yet they aren't giving it the treatment that a more popular game would get. When I say that I mean advertising and marketing. 40 days before KOTOR came out I could walk into Babbages and see KOTOR posters **** like that here we are with less then 10 days before TSL comes out and I don't see that when I goto Babbages. Less then 10 days before KOTOR came out the KOTOR TV commercials was hitting peoples living rooms with TSL there has yet to be a single TV commercial.

My point is either Obsidian or LucasArts or both is assuming that just cause TSL is a sequel to a game that one over 150 awards, they don't have to put as much as money to advertise like how they did with KOTOR. They are probably believing that the Knights of the Old Republic name alone would sell the game. Well I hope Obsidian or LA comes down from their dream clouds and look at reality cause that isn't going to happen. Normally more marketing is put into the sequels that goes with videogames and movies. LA should be throwing it into peoples faces that KOTOR is back and better then ever. They should be making it known but they aren't.

TSL is my most anticipated games of 2004. Hell it is my most anticipated games since KOTOR and that came out in July of 2003. But I must say from a standpoint that TSL isn't going to sell like KOTOR did and probably won't win 1/4 of the awards KOTOR did. Thats just being realistic.

When it is all said and done, Obsidian or either LucasArts should have marketed TSL way better. Cause what they are doing now is just sad.

Do you know where I can watch all those commercials, that discussion is about?

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

When it is all said and done, Obsidian or either LucasArts should have marketed TSL way better. Cause what they are doing now is just sad.

Yes. The ultimate proof of that is their decision to delay the international Xbox and PC versions.

Let loose the dogs of war! :ph34r:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't believe this game needs advertisement.

Maybe it won't much during the first few weeks but after that I think it's sales will boom.

Let me tell you, I study marketing and I think they just messed up their release date. I mean, with the Halo 2 X-Box release, you know you're in trouble. If you look at it in a marketing way, they should release all the versions of the game half December (i.e. before christmas), and they should advertise it pretty well. Unfortunately, that isn't possible, because the PC version will not be finished.

From a marketing point of view, it's just bad timing/luck.

And this is how greed and bowing to Microshaft decreases your profit in the outcome. :p

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

I must say that I didn't like the way the KOTOR commercial was done. It used false music and when I mean false I mean music that wasn't even in the game (Imperial March). It had nothing to do with the story other then you could be DS or LS.

This time around the commercial should feature music that is actually in the game. I mean the Bastila Shan theme (Music you hear when on top of Temple talking to Bastila on Rakata Planet) would have been perfect for the KOTOR commercial. Also the commercial should focus more around the story instead of a game option/feature of being DS/LS. This time the commercial should let it be known that the Sith are back, the Republic is on the verge of collapse, the Jedi are near extinct, and you are the last known Jedi. THEN it can add some extra things in like party member alignment and such but it should get the basis don't first.

What do you guys think?

Also when will we start seeing TSL commercials? Or will the sequel to a 2003 GOTY even have any commercials?

I think that you're probaly too high on X to make an informed decision

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I don't believe this game needs advertisement.

Maybe it won't much during the first few weeks but after that I think it's sales will boom.

Let me tell you, I study marketing and I think they just messed up their release date. I mean, with the Halo 2 X-Box release, you know you're in trouble. If you look at it in a marketing way, they should release all the versions of the game half December (i.e. before christmas), and they should advertise it pretty well. Unfortunately, that isn't possible, because the PC version will not be finished.

From a marketing point of view, it's just bad timing/luck.

Not entirely true, in Europe games aren't advertised as much (save for specific magazines) and they sell.

Not everything is up to marketing.

There is also choice.

And yes by being the sequel to the game of the year does save a lot effort for branding.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Not entirely true, in Europe games aren't advertised as much (save for specific magazines) and they sell.

Not everything is up to marketing.

There is also choice.

And yes by being the sequel to the game of the year does save a lot effort for branding.

In Europe (well, Holland at least), console games are advertised quite well. And the point of a sequel is not solely(sp?) to please the gamers who played the first part, you also want to attract new gamers who never heard of Kotor before (and believe it or not, they exist! o:) )

The K1 TV commercial was brilliant - I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, with 7 days left, I don't think we're going to get a TV ad this time around...well perhaps not until the PC release. But given that the vast majority of KotoR sales were on the XBox and not PC, LA is shooting themselves in the foot! o:)

manthing2.jpg

Yeah I see some great opinions here. Remember I'm not trying to bash TSL in any way. I think it will be a great game, probably the best game I played since KOTOR of last year. I'm just a bit upset about how they are handling the advertising this time around.

With Halo 2 you saw plenty of commercials and in-store posters and such. With GTA: SA you saw plenty of commercials and in-store posters and such. With Metroid Prime: Echoes you saw the same thing. Notice these are all sequels to already great games but yet they recieved the same exact or even more advertisement as their prior game. Hell NFSU2 is getting a fair share of TV time....again another sequel to a popular game. Then we switch to KOTOR2 which is getting nothing but a few online ads here and there nothing to really bring in those casual gamers.

Hell Battlefront got more marketing then TSL and BF wasn't even their supposenly more popular games. I just don't get it.

If TSL doesn't do good in the sales bracket, it was cause it isn't a worthy title it is because it wasn't marketed right. Again you can goto GameFaqs and KOTOR 2 is nowhere in the top 10 of message boards. Why? Cause there is very little interest in TSL. Why is that? Because not everyone knows about it and such. Again when less then 10 days before the KOTOR release KOTOR was the #1 message board on GameFaqs above Morrowind and Halo. This time its nowhere in the top 10. This is just the beginning stages of showing how TSL is going to sell nowhere near as much as KOTOR did. That is sad cause Halo 2, NFSU2, Metroid Echoes, and GTA: SA all sequels all sold just as much or even more then their prior game. Its going to be embarrassing for the sequel to the 2003 GOTY to not do the same. Geez I wonder why......::::Looks at Obsidian's/LucasArt's marketing/advertising people::::

The K1 TV commercial was brilliant - I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, with 7 days left, I don't think we're going to get a TV ad this time around...well perhaps not until the PC release. But given that the vast majority of KotoR sales were on the XBox and not PC, LA is shooting themselves in the foot!

Hmm a pity I have never seen this commercial.

I wonder where I could get it? Maybe there's some site with TV commercials to download

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES: