About taking on a Jedi Apprentice

Some time ago, it was mentioned that we'd be able to take on an apprentice from one of the cast. At the time, the feeling was that it would be limited to the new characters of TSL. However, I have often wondered what it would be like if we were able to choose one of the returning characters from KotOR.

Lately, I've been struck with a thought, that Carth might be trainable. The first reaction I had was, "there's gonna be alot of people who will probably think 'great, as if the Galaxy needed another whiny, preachy, self-important Jedi' <_< ." Me, I'm kinda neutral to the idea: *shrugs* give him a lightsaber and toss him to the sharks. If he manages to serve up some sharkfin soup I'll be impressed. Otherwise, no big loss.

Then again, I can't shake this feeling that the characters I would like to train won't be selectable (perhaps not even joinable), while the rabble left over would hardly be worth the effort. More than that, I get the feeling we're gonna get stuck with characters from KotOR that we'd rather not associate with any longer than necessary (it seems we've already got more than a handful of new headaches to deal with).

If they (the Devs) end up shoving Carth down my throat, along with Kreia (one or the other is fine, but I draw the line at both :angry: ), I'm gonna be one unhappy gamer :devil::( . I do not want to get stuck in an argument raging between those two!

I don't think a Jedi can just choose anyone to train - they have to be 'force sensitive' in the first place; and Carth isn't force sensitive.  :)

Under ordinary circumstances, that would be true. But who knows what Obsidian is willing to try?

In anycase, even if Carth isn't trainable, I still feel we may end up getting stuck with him (or his son - or both! *horrified*) unless Revan's a DarkSide Lady that killed off Carth and his son, Dustil.

Uggg, Kreia, Carth, and Dustil? Thank the Devs that only 2 NPCs can be with the PC at any one time (excluding cutscenes). Although, there are times where we're split off from the PC and take control of other characters. I wonder if, in those instances, we still get a full party complement with random conversations still triggering.

I wouldn't judge Kreia so quickly since I haven't seen her character in the game. However, Carth was relatively annoying. Kreia seems to be a wiser teacher type of fellow. If she's anything like Jolee, that'll be great. But something tells me she'll be similar to Vandar. Still, I don't think she'll be annoying and her bonuses seem pretty good.

Well, there is that bit where she makes a comment (a wisecrack?) about your clothing (or lack thereof). And there's also the bit where she's hiding, feigning death no less. She also seems to have an unreasoning hate (from what I could gather, but that could be put down to misinformation) for the Sith.

I don't know about her being wise, I'd say she's pragmatic (when it suits her). But she seems to be lacking a certain Jedi quality that I can't put my finger on. Other than to say that she gives me the impression of being unreliable. My guess is she's overly vulnerable to her own emotions (emotions she seems to want to push onto the player), but I won't know for sure until much later. I've heard mention that she's a Fallen Jedi. If that's the case, perhaps it would be best that she reconciles her personal demons first, before she decides to undertake the training of another.

I'm thinking this telepathic thing with her is gonna be mighty "icksome". :)

Me (to Kreia): Lady, I've got enough skeletons in my closet, without having to deal with yours! :ph34r:

Some time ago, it was mentioned that we'd be able to take on an apprentice from one of the cast. At the time, the feeling was that it would be limited to the new characters of TSL. However, I have often wondered what it would be like if we were able to choose one of the returning characters from KotOR.

Lately, I've been struck with a thought, that Carth might be trainable. The first reaction I had was, "there's gonna be alot of people who will probably think 'great, as if the Galaxy needed another whiny, preachy, self-important Jedi'  <_< ." Me, I'm kinda neutral to the idea: *shrugs* give him a lightsaber and toss him to the sharks. If he manages to serve up some sharkfin soup I'll be impressed. Otherwise, no big loss.

Then again, I can't shake this feeling that the characters I would like to train won't be selectable (perhaps not even joinable), while the rabble left over would hardly be worth the effort. More than that, I get the feeling we're gonna get stuck with characters from KotOR that we'd rather not associate with any longer than necessary (it seems we've already got more than a handful of new headaches to deal with).

If they (the Devs) end up shoving Carth down my throat, along with Kreia (one or the other is fine, but I draw the line at both :angry: ), I'm gonna be one unhappy gamer >_<:shifty: . I do not want to get stuck in an argument raging between those two!

I just wonder what could have led you to these wild speculations

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

" give him a lightsaber and toss him to the sharks. If he manages to serve up some sharkfin soup I'll be impressed. Otherwise, no big loss."

I like your sense of humor (w00t) >_<:shifty:

If Kreia is as good as she is hyped up to be she may have a spot in my party...But Mandalore has a promised spot in my party. The last spot is a duel between my DS apprentice,Kreia, or the Zarbrak...Hmmm I do something that i havent done since like my third time around in KOTOR. Rotate the characters around..Since i like most of them.Except Atton Rand...Hopefully things change when i play the game

Lately, I've been struck with a thought, that Carth might be trainable. The first reaction I had was, "there's gonna be alot of people who will probably think 'great, as if the Galaxy needed another whiny, preachy, self-important Jedi'  <_< ." Me, I'm kinda neutral to the idea: *shrugs* give him a lightsaber and toss him to the sharks. If he manages to serve up some sharkfin soup I'll be impressed. Otherwise, no big loss.

Dont worry Kreia will die off early in the game  :devil:

If they (the Devs) end up shoving Carth down my throat, along with Kreia (one or the other is fine, but I draw the line at both :angry: ), I'm gonna be one unhappy gamer >_<:( . I do not want to get stuck in an argument raging between those two!

I agree with Laozi, what made you think all this? I love kreia's voice and had no problem with Carth. They'll (the party) be interesting no matter what.

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Even if Carth was force sensitive he would be too old to train wouldn't he? He's in his 30's at least.

The Jedi order is practically broken. I think they could make an exception in a desperate situation.

Of course, it would depend if he was force sensitive.

Well, your choice selection is likely force sensitive if obsidian do it closest to movie.

If obsidian do it closer to DnD system it likely completely free of choice which one you choose.

Only major fear i have is it not worth it, if your gonna be master it likely yearliest and option at 10-20lvl when you get prestige at which point any apprentice would hardly get any good force powers or force points.

Further non pure jedi, that are dual could prove less powerful since they will probaly sacrifice either feat or Att + to get prestige class.

I just wonder what could have led you to these wild speculations

I agree with Laozi, what made you think all this? I love kreia's voice and had no problem with Carth. They'll (the party) be interesting no matter what.

I'm not really sure myself, other than to say that kumquatq3 is probably right.

The voices

Visiting the "Official" site and listening to her while answering those questions had some impact. Especially her last question, even though she doesn't voice the question itself, there's something vindictive in the way it's presented.

Also, what little I know of our expected encounter with Kreia leads me to suspect that she's a rather calculating individual, but also strongly influenced by her emotions. She seems too ready to "assist" us with the rediscovery of our abilities. That, coupled with whatever grudge she may have against the Sith Lords, with Sion in particular, feels like she's simply training us to throw us at the Dark Lords. Even her telepathic bonding feels more like an attempt to influence us in that direction, rather than any genuine concern she may have for us. That bit about her willing to sacrifice herself for us doesn't help, it seems she just wants to ensure her investment in us isn't wasted.

Kreia kind of strikes me as a Jolee type, without the good-natured humour, and without having made peace with her past. She may be undertaking our training to make up for a past failure. I look at her avatar and match it with her voice, and I can't help but think "Vima Da Boda", or whatever her name is (that lost Jedi in the EU that fell because her daughter was killed, or something). At least Jolee voluntarily left the order, Kreia seems like she fell out of favour.

Then again, all of the above is simply a first impression, and if there's anything I've learned to disregard, it's first impressions. Especially when mine often come out wrong :ph34r: .

Storywise it would be OK for me if you could get Carth's son Dustil as an apprentice. Afterall, we know he is force sensitive, and it would make sense, since we will be visiting Telos. It would also be a nice opportunity to let Carth have his cameo.

Strange that Carth son would even be alive seeing as his wife died on Taris, it seems strange his son would be away from his mother and father less he was a adult given Carth age in Kotor1 that would seem unlikely he is.

Perhaps not so strange. If Dustil was too young to fight or help with relief efforts, he may have been separated from his mother. At least that was the impression I received going through KotOR.