Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Planscape Torment 2

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Warmyth

Warmyth

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
*Warning: Spoiler's in this Post* of Planescape: Torment

I would just like to add: Those who think the nameless one's story is finished, answer me this... How is one's story ended when one cannot be killed? (Unless of course you unmade yourself at the end, I liked merging.) :)

The reason the sales of this game was so-so is not many people played the Planescape setting. Though, after knowing of it, one knew ones self to see how awesome it could be. (Dakkon, silly guy :devil:) I still hold true to the fact though, it's all about character development. FF7, great cast, Chrono Trigger, awesome cast, you get my drift. Everything was so indepth you believed and felt through its characters, thats what makes a game so great, not even stopped at games, that goes for movies, books, theatre.

Also, D&D isn't stopped by anything the imagination can't think of, they could very well bring planescape society/places/people into Ad&d 3.5. It would be refreshing actually, though its mostly generalized at the moment because of NWN's builders engine to have the people do the work themselves, bleh on that though. :">

The only character in Torment we really never got closure on was Fall-From-Grace. We all assumed she loved TNO, but what was in that dairy... :)

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I would just like to add: Those who think the nameless one's story is finished, answer me this... How is one's story ended when one cannot be killed? (Unless of course you unmade yourself at the end, I liked merging.) 

Errr, if you merge...doesn't that mean you can now die? After all, you are united with your mortality now.

Atreides

Atreides

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think TNO's story is over. The story of the Planescape universe isn't.

Blank

Blank

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aercyon
  • Kickstarter Backer
Haha. So I started reading this thread and decided to go to the first page to catch up, and I didn't realize that Warmyth was a necroposter until I saw EnderAndrew's posts. I looked at the date and it was two years ago, haha.

But I don't understand why the Planescape franchise has to be dead... I know WOTC stopped it officially, but why would you need WOTC's permission? Do they own the franchise and are just being idiots by not letting anyone use it? Idiots.

Necroposting...

Dark_Raven

Dark_Raven

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 13727 posts
Thread pruned of spam. If people desire to talk about this old topic, do so. If not do not spam it.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
Its necroposting, Raven. Needs to be locked.

Plano Skywalker

Plano Skywalker

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1777 posts
well, WOTC owns D&D and Planescape is a derivative property of D&D. If WOTC does not have current rules/support for it, they would, presumably, not allow a cRPG license to use it.

but why depend on D&D? why couldn't they do a "spiritual successor" to it based on, say, Greek mythology....you've got the Elysian Fields, Tartarus, the river Styx, the god Hades (and his palace), Charon the ferryman, etc.

and, of course, you can eventually "planewalk" in the material world and, in some cases, reach Mt. Olympus.

I'd play a game like that.

but as long as games use party members to tell the actual story of the game (PST, KOTOR 2) I'll be happy.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
A game that is even remotely similar to the gameplay of pst will never be made again, and a sequel or remake is even less likely.

Plano Skywalker

Plano Skywalker

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1777 posts

A game that is even remotely similar to the gameplay of pst will never be made again, and a sequel or remake is even less likely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

for me, it is a wash since I have yet to get into PST. however, as I say, as long as we continue to see games like KOTOR 2 that tell the story in much the same way as PST, I will be happy.

I agree, though, we will not see a major, commercial, 3D, voiced-over game in which the protagonist is an amnesiac dead person...not going to happen.

the best bet for a "spiritual successor" would be an indie project (2D sprites, partial VO, etc).

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts

Its necroposting, Raven.  Needs to be locked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously. Start a new topic rather than dredging up the old ones guys.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
Since when is necroposting bad? Sometimes it's better to bump an older thread rather than creating a new one.... and then sometimes not... I'd think it'd depend on the subject matter.

Seeing how obscure PT2 would be, I'd think one would be enough. o:)

Warmyth

Warmyth

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts

I would just like to add: Those who think the nameless one's story is finished, answer me this... How is one's story ended when one cannot be killed? (Unless of course you unmade yourself at the end, I liked merging.) 

Errr, if you merge...doesn't that mean you can now die? After all, you are united with your mortality now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, merging does cause mortality, but that was in ()"s along with unmaking yourself saying if you chose not to fight your mortality. Besides, merging would work to, he's still not dead eh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Necroposting, first time I've heard that on the net. But if you cared to notice, I just joined (2'nd Post), so it's not "new" so to speak to me. So pike off. :(

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
Urge to flame...rising...

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4622 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Hades.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
This thread is not about discussing the positive and negative aspects of necroposting and the actions that should be taken to address it.

Get back on topic.

saintfrancisnudecenterfold

saintfrancisnudecenterfold

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
There is no forbiddence here on replying to an old thread, nor should there be any such forbiddence. Any persons trying to start an argument on the basis of "necroposting" should reconsider such a response because it would be trolling for them to do so.

In any case, I would be glad to see Obsidian or any other computer game company design and release a computer game set in the D&D outer planes. While "Planescape" as a campaign setting might be dead and while second edition assumptions about the Outer Planes have changed, the Outer Planes are not gone as a potential setting for any game to take place in.

Since The Forgotten Realms is a huge license, inclusive of the Outer Planes, these are fair game for an entire official campaign module. We might just see an official campaign module set in a "Planescape" style set of regions, perhaps spanning as many of the Outer Plane areas as Obsidian Ent can broach within permissible timespan.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
NOOOOOOOOO

Colrom

Colrom

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 161 posts
Didn't Fall From Grace say she would seek to find The Nameless One in Hell? :o

That's a story that needs telling. :ermm:

Only MCA can tell it. :-

Let's all take a trip through the Blood Wars! :o

Great Fun Eh! :D

Colrom

Colrom

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 161 posts
I also see plenty of good reason to redo Torment.

Think of it as a play or a movie.

The great ones are redone all the time.

Same with Torment.

Just redo it.

Then do the story of Fall From Grace's (and Morte?) journey to fine The Nameless One.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users