Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Planscape Torment 2

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
Yeah, the fact is that Planescape and Forgotten Realms, or any other "world" is actually part of one multiverse, so everything is connected by different means

leombruno

leombruno

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
I would definately be behind the spiritual successor to torment.
They don't need to(and can't) make a directly related sequel to go back to the well but I would love another game in this vein, in an obsidian generated IP a couple projects down the road.

Ardeth

Ardeth

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
Umm Yggdrasil (the world ash - or the gigantic tree in common) found the in the first layer of Ysgard has access to many planes found with in planescape as well as many other prime worlds. Also Mount Olympos in Arborea has such portals. It won't be hard to write an ''all around the prime worlds'' kind of story. Though they must watch for it might turn into power-play rather than roleplay. I am writing a table-top game with a system I made partially by 3.5 edition and mage:ascension. Anyways WOTC release the planewalker's guide last year on planescape so I don't think they could say they are not supporting it, as that book was on 3.5 edition.
I played the game 3-4 years ago as I reckon, and now I am playing again to get the whole insight of the story (ofcourse with 18 wis and int o:) ). I am hoping it does not dissapoint me and disillusion the perfect form it has in my mind. By the way now a days, they can't even release a proper rpg game. I don't think they could get close to writing such a good story as everyone is interested in hack'n'slash these days.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
Even back then there was hardly any interest in such rpgs.

Indalecio

Indalecio

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 393 posts

No sequel, only another game in the Planescape universe. I rather have a game in the Dark Sun campaign set though. The last Dark Sun game was too long ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree totally. Dark Sun is one of the most unknown and obcure settings of D&D(along with Spelljammer, but who would like to play there?) and I think it should be given more coverage. Ditto with the Planescape game too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hear, hear! Another game in Athas, or that visits Athas would be great(the visiting , and then getting out again maybe problematic, but hey) Spelljammer would be cool also, but I maybe asking too much.

:party visits Athas::
:dies of heat stroke from being in metal armor:
:metal armor is promptly looted and sold for scrap metal:

BTW, has anyone checked out some of the stuff on Athas.org Fan made, updated to D20, and with WOTC official sanction.

Parry Darklighter

Parry Darklighter

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
In the vein of NWN, for anyone interested, their are two modules that are part of or written as sequeals to the PS:T game by Beerfish, I beleive on is called in the Footsteps of Dante and the other is the Measure of a Man.

Ardeth

Ardeth

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
Lol if you visit darksun with even a rusty dagger on your hand, a large group of people will jump on you, tear you apart, then tear each other apart and take the dagger(the last remaining person :)).

pulp

pulp

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 52 posts

Hear, hear!  Another game in Athas, or that visits Athas would be great(the visiting , and then getting out again maybe problematic, but hey)  Spelljammer would be cool also, but I maybe asking too much.

:party visits Athas::
:dies of heat stroke from being in metal armor:
:metal armor is promptly looted and sold for scrap metal:

BTW, has anyone checked out some of the stuff on Athas.org  Fan made, updated to D20, and with WOTC official sanction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. Dark Sun wasn't explored as well as it should've been. Dark Sun 1 was great, but DS 2 was da bomb.

An update on this particular piece of setting is waaay overdue.

Cybersquirt

Cybersquirt

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

WOTC no longer supports the Planescape setting as an offical campaign setting, so doing a Planescape Torment 2™ isn't going to happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? In other words, why does it need to be an official campaign setting? (Seriously.)

Colrom

Colrom

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 161 posts
Ah, Fall From Grace, some of the others, and TNO, and the Blood Wars!

It could be awsome! :thumbsup:

Lcaus Scuks

Lcaus Scuks

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts

how about Landscape Torment? it could be about a landscape architect with amnesia who awakens to find he's stuck in a property development with terrible landscaping. slowly, piece by piece, he must assemble the clues that lead him to the discovery that he's the one responsible.

sounds cool, huh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Planescape: Demency ? Sure it would be cool, piece by piece ...

Rhomal

Rhomal

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1674 posts
There is virtually no chance if another PS game being made.

a. PS:T did poor sales wise. Thus what publisher in their right mind would want to invest to loose money?

b. With the sales issue aside, WotC has killed off the PS setting and not selling any more licences to produce works under it. They still hold the © to the setting even if they have no interest in doing anything with it.

Either way you cut it, its a moot discussion.

I am not taking away the fact it was great writting and a interesting story. But sadly as BIS found out there is no mass market for such a game.

Lcaus Scuks

Lcaus Scuks

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
I think there is a good market for Planescape 2 if the game is at least as good as Torment.
http://www.rpgdot.co...n=10053&ID=1093

Rhomal

Rhomal

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1674 posts

I think there is a good market for Planescape 2 if the game is at least as good as Torment.
http://www.rpgdot.co...n=10053&ID=1093

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So one site names it a dream game and that means its going to sell well? Lets be realistic please.

Show me data that says PS 2 will sell well and then you have a case. Otherwise its little more then opinion expressing.

Loof

Loof

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hehe good defence there Rhomal .... anyone who could give hard facts on how good any game would sell before it was published or even made would be scooped up by a developer as a consultant faster then you can say "how much" ;)

Rhomal

Rhomal

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1674 posts

Hehe good defence there Rhomal .... anyone who could give hard facts on how good any game would sell before it was published or even made would be scooped up by a developer as a consultant faster then you can say "how much" :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When talking a sequal, you look at the first game as a indication, you do polling of likely buyers, you compaire it to similar games sales wise.

How do you think Bioware (for one example) came to the conclusion another expansion for nwn1 wouldnt bring the returns needed vs production cost?

Its what all publishers do to weigh the pros and cons of developing a game.

All I am saying is the data availiable I am aware of is the first game sales wise. And its sadly not good. If he knows of some other data that a publisher would look at then by all means point it out. But like it or not thats all a publisher is going to base their decesion on. Will it make a reasonable return for my investment. If the data present says no its very doubful a publisher will move forward.

Lcaus Scuks

Lcaus Scuks

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts

All I am saying is the data availiable I am aware of is the first game sales wise. And its sadly not good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly :( the first game sold well although it wasn't a blockbuster. Torment was a moderate success and it wasn't as known then as it is now. On most gaming forums, if you'll ask the gamers what are the best RPGs, Torment and Fallout will be in the top 5. Ask yourself if Torment would have been a top choice in 1999-2000; over the years it gained popularity and the fans are dedicated, they won't forget how good the first game was, if Planescape 2 would be at least as good as Torment they will buy it. Maybe a company should do a market research for likely buyers but the fans don't want Planescape 2 to be another good RPG a la Bioware, something that has nothing extraordinary and if you ask me Bioware makes good (not outstanding, superior, ...) RPGs for the masses. Planescape fans want great ideas, depth, substance, larger than life stories, superior gameplay, ... not the usual good RPGs. It would be worse if Planescape 2 would be made and it would be another NWN or BG. I have high hopes for NWN2, may it be complete and polished.

Noceur

Noceur

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, I picked up Planescape when it was released over here and I thought it was just too damn great. I was pretty amazed that it wasn't a huge success back then. I mean, it's leagues better than BG 1 when it comes to interaction between characters, story and stuff.
But I think the kids want to play pretty boys and girls.

Anyway, I would want a planescape torment 2, but then again I don't... because I feel that The Nameless One's story is finished. I just want a game that's as good as Planescape was.

I'd also be interested in something in the Dark Sun setting... I never really played the Dark Sun games, but I fancy the setting.

I just have to add that I enjoyed Torment a lot because it was pretty loose on the D20 system. I'm not a real big fan of that system.

And it was a shame that you didn't get XP per found silver/gold in BG1 when you played as rogue *L*

Loof

Loof

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hehe good defence there Rhomal .... anyone who could give hard facts on how good any game would sell before it was published or even made would be scooped up by a developer as a consultant faster then you can say "how much" :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When talking a sequal, you look at the first game as a indication, you do polling of likely buyers, you compaire it to similar games sales wise.

How do you think Bioware (for one example) came to the conclusion another expansion for nwn1 wouldnt bring the returns needed vs production cost?

Its what all publishers do to weigh the pros and cons of developing a game.

All I am saying is the data availiable I am aware of is the first game sales wise. And its sadly not good. If he knows of some other data that a publisher would look at then by all means point it out. But like it or not thats all a publisher is going to base their decesion on. Will it make a reasonable return for my investment. If the data present says no its very doubful a publisher will move forward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't saying you are wrong and that plansescape 2 would be a instant megahit ...
Just that demanding proof that a game will sell before it even starts preproduction, to even discuss it is demanding the imposible because noone can give proof of something that hasn't happened yet :rolleyes:

Lcaus Scuks

Lcaus Scuks

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
Planescape 2 would need promotion to be a mega hit, you have to get to the people who would be interested in such a game, the demo would have to give them an idea of what it's about. Without serious promotion only ~400.000 copies would be sold imo and that's not enough. I think Planescape 2 and Starcraft 2 will be made in the future, probably when technology will be more advanced; with every year the gaming industry evolves and if these games will be developed later they will take advatage of better hardware and more advanced technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users