Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Planscape Torment 2

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Darth_Taros

Darth_Taros

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 99 posts
I see my topic is popular

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
This topic has been popular since the forums opened up in February.

grayjo

grayjo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The think i most wanted to do in Baldur's Gate was to take my Planar Sphere for a merry jaunt though the planes.... <sigh>

Dracomicron

Dracomicron

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I too would not want a sequel to PS:T, given how personal and emotional it was for me (I played twice, and then put the game away, not because it wasn't good, but because I didn't want my perceptions of the game as near-perfectto change by playing it any more). The Nameless One's story is over...let him rest...or not rest, as the case may be.

That said, Planescape was the only one of the D&D settings that I thought had any real creativity behind it, and I'd love to see more games set in Sigil and the outer planes. There are official D&D rulebooks for the planes again, so it can be done. Most likely, it would end up being a sort of half-and-half game, with part being on one of the established worlds, and the other half being on the planes.

MortalHarmony

MortalHarmony

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 391 posts
I don't see why a remake wouldn't sell. The critical reputation of PS:T grows every year and it could sell well on the back of it. It couldn't be any worse than the original, assuming the graphics were good and nothing was fixed that wasn't broken.
Then all you need to do is add perhaps a few more areas of sigil and maybe another plane as a sidequest, the ability to join a few more factions, the ability to complete the main quest in a few more ways, a couple more hench people etc, conversion to 3E rules (OB could use the Electron engine for it), the choice to be a few different classed/cast more spells etc.

I believe that anyone who played the original would buy it, plus many more, on the back of the reputation of the original. I think it would be very popular with munchkins too, if the graphics were great. The original game had the largest level range of any CRPG I ever played (level 3 to 20 with my wizard). It had awesome spells, the chance to be really evil, some great hack n' slash sections too. I think most munchkins woud love it. Very few powergamers ever complain that there is too much story in a game.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't think anyone but Chris Avellone could do it.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
There is no way that you will ever see another planescape torment or anything that is anywhere close to its greatness.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Except Barbie Fashion Rancher.

Percival

Percival

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts

that would be pretty cool.  I'd love to do some realm hopping.

of course, i'd want to see Krynn, but i'm selfish like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've heard Krynn is a low level world, so maybe they could fit it into the first one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now who told you that lie?

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It's low level if you're used to all this sillyness of level 40+ characters I keep hearing about in the NWN:2 areas.

DaDoom

DaDoom

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
Oh yea, doesn't matter if it's a sequel or a remake of the original: a fresher version of Planescape would surely be much apreciated by a vast amount of people. I'm sure it would bring the necessary commercial success. There just are too many RPGs with "ordinary" settings on the market already. A game set in the Planescape universe would be a breath of fresh air for the genre. Maybe a remake with lots of nice additions is the way to go here. As stated abouve this would attract both old fans and new gamers.

I checked the link found above (http://www.city-of-doors.com/). Really not much material there. Lets hope those guys keep it up. (w00t)

alternative_genius

alternative_genius

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
I'd love to see a prequel to PS:T where you as the nameless one cause all the mayhem you hear about in PS:T, like become the vicious serial killer you once were or the mage who made ignus into the person he is in PS:T. :)

Drakron

Drakron

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2119 posts
You mean a crappy prequel were at start we already know what happens and offers no real closure?

:thumbsup:

Anyway ...

From what I remenber the Planescape setting was discontinued due to its failure to be self supporting.

Also in 3rd editions there were major changes, Forgotten Realms got their own (****ty) planar system and were discontinued from the Great Wheel, also due to several products being set to outside WotC direct control (Ravenloft and DragonLance) they were cut from the Great Wheel and the previous links were removed (DracoLance was the least affected because its a ****ty setting and nobody really wants to go there, as a matter of fact the only DracoLance crosslink I found was in Ravenloft but that is hardly a suprise since it was used as a dumping ground for pretty much every D&D setting) so the idea of a game that spawns several settings would not work.

Spook

Spook

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts
I think that the big problem for PS:T was that you had to play a ugly scared fellow that frightened away all people with his face on the cover before they even tried to play the game.

Any new PS-game should allow a free character creation, and should not be a sequell but a new story with Sigil as base.

I really would want to see that. :wacko:

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

that would be pretty cool.  I'd love to do some realm hopping.

of course, i'd want to see Krynn, but i'm selfish like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've heard Krynn is a low level world, so maybe they could fit it into the first one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now who told you that lie?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just heard stuff like Tanis was like a level 6 ranger, and such like that. Raistlin was the most powerful mage on Krynn and was barely 18th level.

Brannart

Brannart

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 221 posts

I just heard stuff like Tanis was like a level 6 ranger, and such like that. Raistlin was the most powerful mage on Krynn and was barely 18th level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah nobody in Krynn could be higher than 18 or the Gods would do something lame to you or something. Ariakus (the C-in-C of the Dragon Army in the original trilogy) was level 20 but he had some kind of special status. But this is really old school stuff, surely the setting would be unrecognizable to people like me who read the original trilogy 15 or so years ago and that was it. Who knows what that setting has moved on to.

Anyway if Kotor II is any indication shades of PS:T will be present in Obsidians games. Doing a sequel is not really necessary and in any case not going to happen unless some masochist tries to do it in NWN.

mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
I see no reason to make a sequel or prequel. The story is finite, anything else would be just out of place... it's finished, okay?

BUt of course it would be cool to have another game in Planescape setting. But the name must be different: like "Planescape: [put the name here]"

EUIX

EUIX

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
No sequel, only another game in the Planescape universe. I rather have a game in the Dark Sun campaign set though. The last Dark Sun game was too long ago.

Musopticon?

Musopticon?

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8956 posts
  • Location:What the Bircarli once called their own, spires of soot, flatlands of silver, sky afire

No sequel, only another game in the Planescape universe. I rather have a game in the Dark Sun campaign set though. The last Dark Sun game was too long ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree totally. Dark Sun is one of the most unknown and obcure settings of D&D(along with Spelljammer, but who would like to play there?) and I think it should be given more coverage. Ditto with the Planescape game too.

Foomanshoe

Foomanshoe

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
Why dont you make a game in Forgotten realms, where your hunting a wizard and he escapes through a portal, so you blindly jump in after him. Then you find yourself in sigil, lost and confused, surrounded by all manner of wierd stuff you dont understand, and then start your main focus story in the planes. And call it Plane Strider or something like that.

Note: This is what happened to the guy in the smothering corpse bar in PS:T if you dont remember. :devil:

Theres no reason the nameless ones story is over either, heck, he could be the main villian. I mean, this demi-god petitioner of the lower planes battling in the blood war with knowledge that spawns uncountable lifetimes? Maybe he starts tipping the scale of the blood war one way or the other, and you must return the balance. After all, isnt the blood war the foundation on which the rest of the planes stand?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users