Planscape Torment 2

Darth_Taros

how about Landscape Torment? it could be about a landscape architect with amnesia who awakens to find he's stuck in a property development with terrible landscaping. slowly, piece by piece, he must assemble the clues that lead him to the discovery that he's the one responsible.

sounds cool, huh?

Planescape: Demency ? Sure it would be cool, piece by piece ...

There is virtually no chance if another PS game being made.

a. PS:T did poor sales wise. Thus what publisher in their right mind would want to invest to loose money?

b. With the sales issue aside, WotC has killed off the PS setting and not selling any more licences to produce works under it. They still hold the © to the setting even if they have no interest in doing anything with it.

Either way you cut it, its a moot discussion.

I am not taking away the fact it was great writting and a interesting story. But sadly as BIS found out there is no mass market for such a game.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I think there is a good market for Planescape 2 if the game is at least as good as Torment.

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1093

So one site names it a dream game and that means its going to sell well? Lets be realistic please.

Show me data that says PS 2 will sell well and then you have a case. Otherwise its little more then opinion expressing.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Hehe good defence there Rhomal .... anyone who could give hard facts on how good any game would sell before it was published or even made would be scooped up by a developer as a consultant faster then you can say "how much" ;)

Hehe good defence there Rhomal .... anyone who could give hard facts on how good any game would sell before it was published or even made would be scooped up by a developer as a consultant faster then you can say "how much" :lol:

When talking a sequal, you look at the first game as a indication, you do polling of likely buyers, you compaire it to similar games sales wise.

How do you think Bioware (for one example) came to the conclusion another expansion for nwn1 wouldnt bring the returns needed vs production cost?

Its what all publishers do to weigh the pros and cons of developing a game.

All I am saying is the data availiable I am aware of is the first game sales wise. And its sadly not good. If he knows of some other data that a publisher would look at then by all means point it out. But like it or not thats all a publisher is going to base their decesion on. Will it make a reasonable return for my investment. If the data present says no its very doubful a publisher will move forward.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

All I am saying is the data availiable I am aware of is the first game sales wise. And its sadly not good.

Sadly :( the first game sold well although it wasn't a blockbuster. Torment was a moderate success and it wasn't as known then as it is now. On most gaming forums, if you'll ask the gamers what are the best RPGs, Torment and Fallout will be in the top 5. Ask yourself if Torment would have been a top choice in 1999-2000; over the years it gained popularity and the fans are dedicated, they won't forget how good the first game was, if Planescape 2 would be at least as good as Torment they will buy it. Maybe a company should do a market research for likely buyers but the fans don't want Planescape 2 to be another good RPG a la Bioware, something that has nothing extraordinary and if you ask me Bioware makes good (not outstanding, superior, ...) RPGs for the masses. Planescape fans want great ideas, depth, substance, larger than life stories, superior gameplay, ... not the usual good RPGs. It would be worse if Planescape 2 would be made and it would be another NWN or BG. I have high hopes for NWN2, may it be complete and polished.

Yeah, I picked up Planescape when it was released over here and I thought it was just too damn great. I was pretty amazed that it wasn't a huge success back then. I mean, it's leagues better than BG 1 when it comes to interaction between characters, story and stuff.

But I think the kids want to play pretty boys and girls.

Anyway, I would want a planescape torment 2, but then again I don't... because I feel that The Nameless One's story is finished. I just want a game that's as good as Planescape was.

I'd also be interested in something in the Dark Sun setting... I never really played the Dark Sun games, but I fancy the setting.

I just have to add that I enjoyed Torment a lot because it was pretty loose on the D20 system. I'm not a real big fan of that system.

And it was a shame that you didn't get XP per found silver/gold in BG1 when you played as rogue *L*

Hehe good defence there Rhomal .... anyone who could give hard facts on how good any game would sell before it was published or even made would be scooped up by a developer as a consultant faster then you can say "how much" :p

When talking a sequal, you look at the first game as a indication, you do polling of likely buyers, you compaire it to similar games sales wise.

How do you think Bioware (for one example) came to the conclusion another expansion for nwn1 wouldnt bring the returns needed vs production cost?

Its what all publishers do to weigh the pros and cons of developing a game.

All I am saying is the data availiable I am aware of is the first game sales wise. And its sadly not good. If he knows of some other data that a publisher would look at then by all means point it out. But like it or not thats all a publisher is going to base their decesion on. Will it make a reasonable return for my investment. If the data present says no its very doubful a publisher will move forward.

I wasn't saying you are wrong and that plansescape 2 would be a instant megahit ...

Just that demanding proof that a game will sell before it even starts preproduction, to even discuss it is demanding the imposible because noone can give proof of something that hasn't happened yet :rolleyes:

Planescape 2 would need promotion to be a mega hit, you have to get to the people who would be interested in such a game, the demo would have to give them an idea of what it's about. Without serious promotion only ~400.000 copies would be sold imo and that's not enough. I think Planescape 2 and Starcraft 2 will be made in the future, probably when technology will be more advanced; with every year the gaming industry evolves and if these games will be developed later they will take advatage of better hardware and more advanced technology.

• 1 year later...

*Warning: Spoiler's in this Post* of Planescape: Torment

I would just like to add: Those who think the nameless one's story is finished, answer me this... How is one's story ended when one cannot be killed? (Unless of course you unmade yourself at the end, I liked merging.) :)

The reason the sales of this game was so-so is not many people played the Planescape setting. Though, after knowing of it, one knew ones self to see how awesome it could be. (Dakkon, silly guy :devil:) I still hold true to the fact though, it's all about character development. FF7, great cast, Chrono Trigger, awesome cast, you get my drift. Everything was so indepth you believed and felt through its characters, thats what makes a game so great, not even stopped at games, that goes for movies, books, theatre.

Also, D&D isn't stopped by anything the imagination can't think of, they could very well bring planescape society/places/people into Ad&d 3.5. It would be refreshing actually, though its mostly generalized at the moment because of NWN's builders engine to have the people do the work themselves, bleh on that though. :">

The only character in Torment we really never got closure on was Fall-From-Grace. We all assumed she loved TNO, but what was in that dairy... :)

I would just like to add: Those who think the nameless one's story is finished, answer me this... How is one's story ended when one cannot be killed? (Unless of course you unmade yourself at the end, I liked merging.) 

Errr, if you merge...doesn't that mean you can now die? After all, you are united with your mortality now.

Haha. So I started reading this thread and decided to go to the first page to catch up, and I didn't realize that Warmyth was a necroposter until I saw EnderAndrew's posts. I looked at the date and it was two years ago, haha.

But I don't understand why the Planescape franchise has to be dead... I know WOTC stopped it officially, but why would you need WOTC's permission? Do they own the franchise and are just being idiots by not letting anyone use it? Idiots.

Necroposting...

well, WOTC owns D&D and Planescape is a derivative property of D&D. If WOTC does not have current rules/support for it, they would, presumably, not allow a cRPG license to use it.

but why depend on D&D? why couldn't they do a "spiritual successor" to it based on, say, Greek mythology....you've got the Elysian Fields, Tartarus, the river Styx, the god Hades (and his palace), Charon the ferryman, etc.

and, of course, you can eventually "planewalk" in the material world and, in some cases, reach Mt. Olympus.

I'd play a game like that.

but as long as games use party members to tell the actual story of the game (PST, KOTOR 2) I'll be happy.

A game that is even remotely similar to the gameplay of pst will never be made again, and a sequel or remake is even less likely.

for me, it is a wash since I have yet to get into PST. however, as I say, as long as we continue to see games like KOTOR 2 that tell the story in much the same way as PST, I will be happy.

I agree, though, we will not see a major, commercial, 3D, voiced-over game in which the protagonist is an amnesiac dead person...not going to happen.

the best bet for a "spiritual successor" would be an indie project (2D sprites, partial VO, etc).

Since when is necroposting bad? Sometimes it's better to bump an older thread rather than creating a new one.... and then sometimes not... I'd think it'd depend on the subject matter.

Seeing how obscure PT2 would be, I'd think one would be enough. o:)

I would just like to add: Those who think the nameless one's story is finished, answer me this... How is one's story ended when one cannot be killed? (Unless of course you unmade yourself at the end, I liked merging.) 

Errr, if you merge...doesn't that mean you can now die? After all, you are united with your mortality now.

Yes, merging does cause mortality, but that was in ()"s along with unmaking yourself saying if you chose not to fight your mortality. Besides, merging would work to, he's still not dead eh?

Its necroposting, Raven.  Needs to be locked.

Necroposting, first time I've heard that on the net. But if you cared to notice, I just joined (2'nd Post), so it's not "new" so to speak to me. So pike off. :(