Planscape Torment 2

Darth_Taros

how about Landscape Torment? it could be about a landscape architect with amnesia who awakens to find he's stuck in a property development with terrible landscaping. slowly, piece by piece, he must assemble the clues that lead him to the discovery that he's the one responsible.

sounds cool, huh?

dumber than a bag of hammers

It doesn't matter. The Nameless One's story is finished. Over. Finito. Anything else tacked on would just dilute what came before.

I want a game with the detail and imagination of Planescape: Torment's storyline without it being a direct sequel. If I get that, I will be happy.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

No, no-one can do a Planescape game, but there's nothing that says a D&D game set in the planes cannot be done. Of course, Atari may not wish a D&D planar game made and can veto any developer requests to make such a game.

newlogo.gif

What's the difference, really?  Is "Planescape" Sigil and everything about it?  I thought Planescape was about the planes themselves.

The Planes still exist in regular AD&D. It's just Sigil (and probably the whole atmosphere of Planescape, with 'berk' this and 'shut your bonebox' that) that have been tossed on the scrap heap.

Not that it matters. I'd bet my grandmother's kidney that WOTC would veto any attempt to make a D&D game not based in one of their core campaign settings.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

...ya know, I'd rather see a PS:T remake...same great writing, same great story, same great Morte, remade an' updated...I's'd buy 3 meself... :-

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

What's the difference, really?  Is "Planescape" Sigil and everything about it?  I thought Planescape was about the planes themselves.

The Planes still exist in regular AD&D. It's just Sigil (and probably the whole atmosphere of Planescape, with 'berk' this and 'shut your bonebox' that) that have been tossed on the scrap heap.

Not that it matters. I'd bet my grandmother's kidney that WOTC would veto any attempt to make a D&D game not based in one of their core campaign settings.

Sigil still exists, its just not the focus anymore. I think it would be cool to do a trilogy type thing, where the first game is set mostly in Sigil, with a couple jaunts out into the outer planes, then the 2nd would be about half outer planes half Toril, then the 3rd would be like an Eberron/greyhawk one with the finale back in Sigil. First game would be level 1-6, 2nd would be 6-12, and the third would be 12-18.

That would be cool.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

that would be pretty cool.  I'd love to do some realm hopping.

of course, i'd want to see Krynn, but i'm selfish like that.

From what I've heard Krynn is a low level world, so maybe they could fit it into the first one.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And it would be the best anti block buster. No uber munchin char means no sells nowadays

They just need good marketing. "Reach AWESOME POWER LEVELS, unseen in all but the rare individuals of Krynn!" Just leave out the fact that most of the crazy uber characters in Krynn are like 5th level.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The original poster might have a look at The City of Doors Initative. They are a project dedicated to recreating the Planescape setting in Neverwinter Nights, as well as writing a fairly long module to go with it. Their work (most particular the Sigil tileset) is very impressive so far.

The site is a bit quiet at the moment, but according to CODI folks on the forums and IRC this is the result of some internal revamps and they are far from dead. It's no sequel to PS: T, but it might be the nearest thing we'll see to one.

*waits for the inevitable sarcastic Codex-style responses from people who disliked NWN's OC*

Feel free to steal this sig.

• 2 weeks later...

I too would not want a sequel to PS:T, given how personal and emotional it was for me (I played twice, and then put the game away, not because it wasn't good, but because I didn't want my perceptions of the game as near-perfectto change by playing it any more). The Nameless One's story is over...let him rest...or not rest, as the case may be.

That said, Planescape was the only one of the D&D settings that I thought had any real creativity behind it, and I'd love to see more games set in Sigil and the outer planes. There are official D&D rulebooks for the planes again, so it can be done. Most likely, it would end up being a sort of half-and-half game, with part being on one of the established worlds, and the other half being on the planes.

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat

I don't see why a remake wouldn't sell. The critical reputation of PS:T grows every year and it could sell well on the back of it. It couldn't be any worse than the original, assuming the graphics were good and nothing was fixed that wasn't broken.

Then all you need to do is add perhaps a few more areas of sigil and maybe another plane as a sidequest, the ability to join a few more factions, the ability to complete the main quest in a few more ways, a couple more hench people etc, conversion to 3E rules (OB could use the Electron engine for it), the choice to be a few different classed/cast more spells etc.

I believe that anyone who played the original would buy it, plus many more, on the back of the reputation of the original. I think it would be very popular with munchkins too, if the graphics were great. The original game had the largest level range of any CRPG I ever played (level 3 to 20 with my wizard). It had awesome spells, the chance to be really evil, some great hack n' slash sections too. I think most munchkins woud love it. Very few powergamers ever complain that there is too much story in a game.