First review of Kotor 2

The new issue of Official Xbox Magazine in the UK has their review of Kotor 2 in, with a excellent rating of 9.3\10 :cool:

I've only just skimmed through the review, but their verdict says "Incredible. It takes all that was good from KOTOR, places it in a far more oppressive place, then throws you in to deal with it."

February seems a lot further away now :thumbsup:

Congrats to the guys at Obsidian :ermm:

The new issue of Official Xbox Magazine in the UK has their review of Kotor 2 in, with a excellent rating of 9.3\10  :cool:

I've only just skimmed through the review, but their verdict says "Incredible.  It takes all that was good from KOTOR, places it in a far more oppressive place, then throws you in to deal with it."

February seems a lot further away now  :thumbsup:

Congrats to the guys at Obsidian  :ermm:

I'm always skeptical about magazine reviews. Especially one known as the "Official XBox Magazine", when it comes to reviewing a soon-to-be released XBox title.

Hopefully the game is a success and lives up to the hype that its garnered thus far. Obsidian seems like a good organization and it'd be good to see them get their foot in the door, so to speak, being a new company.

I think with the problems/issues people have had with Bloodlines and Troika recently, Obsidian would do very well to make sure that bugs and graphical issues are as close to non-existant as is humanly possible to capitalize on the "jaded" views of customers who believe that games are always buggy. Raving reviews about how smoothly a game plays can go a long way towards making fans out of non-fans.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Obsidian would do very well to make sure that bugs and graphical issues are as close to non-existant as is humanly possible to capitalize on the "jaded" views of customers who believe that games are always buggy.

You mean they're not always buggy? :ermm:"

No, I mean that they are always buggy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The new issue of Official Xbox Magazine in the UK has their review of Kotor 2 in, with a excellent rating of 9.3\10  :cool:

I've only just skimmed through the review, but their verdict says "Incredible.  It takes all that was good from KOTOR, places it in a far more oppressive place, then throws you in to deal with it."

February seems a lot further away now  :thumbsup:

Congrats to the guys at Obsidian  :ermm:

OXM gave the original KotOR 9.3 aswell IIRC.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

i personally wouldn't trust a magazine score as far as i could throw a magazine score. Since a magazine score isn't really an object, i couldn't throw it very far. Sure i could throw the entire magazine, but that would be cheating. I could cut out the score, but is that really the score or has the score transcended materialism. And if i could cut out the score, then it wouldn't go very far if i threw it

....i drifted off point i apologise

Sound awesome! Thanks Sonatine!

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

im also a little sceptical about reviews sometimes considering some of the games that get good reviews (rathcet and clank). but i think we can put some faith in this review because the game already looks better than the original

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

::generic how I don't read magazine review answer::

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Bah, I don't trust any reviews. I get the mags for the articles, and demo disks.

Now I',m confused, an International XBOX crew puts out the first REVIEW of a game that isn't coming out there till two months after the game is in america, and not mentioning the game isn't out. How does that work?

Evolutionary Development

The game really hasn't been hyped much. I mean, compare to the first KotOR, even, and look at how much hype FABLE had on a ratio to how much it SUCKED. Some pretty high things have been said of it, but none of those things seem unreasonable - all the "hype" is backed up with evidence, where it wasn't ever in Fable. All the things we've read have been pretty moderate and without fanfare. Facts, and every now and then a reviewer goes, "Hey, this game seems to have really improved on what the original had". I guess that's just my opinion, though.

I don't care about reviews for a game, but they ARE vaguely indicative, generally, of how good the game will be - assuming you care for the genre that game is in at all.

I think if you can find a reviewer with the same aesthetics and priorities as you then their reviews tend to be 'accurate'. Reading reviews from more than one source as well as word of mouth tends to give you a good idea of a games strengths and weaknesses.

For instance, based on the reviews I read I was uninterested in Vampire: Bloodlines but the reviews combined with comments in the RPG forum have persuaded me to try it.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Thanks for the help Son. :thumbsup:

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

if this game turns out near perfect and I love the game so much i am going to by a 2nd copy for a collectors edition when it comes out in Feburary but I have to play it through once first become I make my decsion....kotor 2 has tooo be brilliant (I hope) it better be!

if this game turns out near perfect and I love the game so much i am going to by a 2nd copy for a collectors edition when it comes out in Feburary but I have to play it through once first become I make my decsion....kotor 2 has tooo be brilliant (I hope) it better be!

Collector's edition?

Collector's edition?

Indeed, never heard of it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Was posted up else where,said to be from the review. Has some spoilers,read at your own risk.

"For a sequel to such a classic title, it was almost expected for it to 'do' an Empire Strikes Back. Well it not so much 'does' an Empire Strikes Back, as 'outdoes' it.

If you want dark side fury and hopelessness for all that is good in the Galaxy, KOTOR II's got it in spades"

"For the first few hours of play (four or five without sub-quests, touching doublefigures with) there is nothing to do but run. The hunt is on and you'll find yourself making desperate, frantic dashes across many worlds to escape the Siths clutches."

"You will be worn, beaten and humiliated by the time the pursuit eases a little. You'll resent the game for making you suffer hours of relentless, seemingly hopeless fleeing, but trust us you'll appreciate it

Obsideons decision to make you defenseless for so long was a risk, but the moment you cobble together your first makeshift 'sabre it's like rediscovering what made KOTOR so great in the first place. And from then on in, you're armed almost well enough to start investigationg this most devious and delicious of stories. "I am your father" doesn't even come close"

The Party

"Each has an agenda and seems to be helping you because it suits them, not because they are particularly beheld to you. This causes friction within the group, which, naturally you're left to resolve.

The implementation of potentially volitile 'side taking' within the party is just the first of many new interwoven elements of KOTOR II"

"Depending on how long you listen to someone, or how often you heed their advice, their opinion of you will rise or fall, as will their force alignment.

Others in your party who disagree with your actions (light or dark) will then cease to offer help, so there is potential for your team, the people you'll rely on to save your life, to implode from within"

"....but as Kreiam the Obi-Wan of the peice points out, simply doing the right thing is no longer adequate. Through the new force bond you can see, via Kreia's telepathy the consequences of your actions.

You may give a begger credits, but then to witness him murdered for them, makes you question and second guess everything you're asked to do"

"There are a few sub missions in KOTOR II that require you to take control of other characters. One of these is a dark side C-3P0 who pursuades his dark side companion (a dark side R2, naturally) to go on a killing spree"

"With the entire crew of the Ebon Hawk apparantly dead, it comes as a bit of a surprise when you open the cargo hold to discover the fizzing AK-47 droid from the first game. The psychotic droid seems to have been irreparibly damaged following the mysterious disappearance fo the crew

With newer AK-50 and AK-51 droids being used to hunt you by the Sith, A -47 might hold a few clues as to why the original crew are missing. If you want to repair him this becomes one of KOTOR II'S ongoing mini-games. Every planet you visit has a part that will mend him. The question is though, will you want to hear what he has to say?"

"As the mystery of KOTOR II slowly unravels, so does the galaxy. Eventually the free roaming planet hoppin gof KOTOR comes back into play, but don;t think for one minute we're going to tell you why. Suffice to say, it's something far graver then peicing together parts of a star map"

If the above is correct then....

Speculation/Spoiler based on above info,read at your own risk.

Fixing HK might be how we find out,least in part,what happened to Revan.