Interesting info in Developers' Corner

PC version was "put on hold".  Hmm.  To those who still say that the PC version didn't get the shaft due to the XBox version, I'd suggest you read it.

Doesn't sound like ya'll were shafted at all to me. It sounds like they couldn't do both versions at once, so they made the best business choice they could. Is it fair? No, it isn't, but in the end, it's ALWAYS about money.

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Doesn't sound like ya'll were shafted at all to me. It sounds like they couldn't do both versions at once, so they made the best business choice they could. Is it fair? No, it isn't, but in the end, it's ALWAYS about money.

Um? That's pretty much the definition of being shafted. If you know a different definition, then feel free to clue me in. But when item A is put on hold so that item B can be worked on, that's being shafted.

And I never said it wasn't a money decision. I've said that all along.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

What I meant was, they didn't sit around, cackling, figuring out the best way to screw over PC gamers. Stuff happened and they made the logical business choice.

That's all I meant by it.

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

One other thing from that link that I'd like to point out that may or may not be valid:

The part about XBox sales making up about 80% of the total sales. That's not quite a fair and accurate comparison, considering the XBox version was out, what, 6 months ahead of the PC version? Naturally the version that has a 6 month head start will have MUCH more sales, since people who own both a PC and Xbox won't wait around to purchase the PC version if they can get the XBox one right away.

I don't think you can accurately compare the sales of items that are released at different times, since the item released first will obviously dominate the early purchases and take away potential purchases of the second item.

If the games were released the exact same day, I wonder if the XBox sales would still account for 80%. Somehow I doubt that.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That's a very valid point GoA.

I prefer the PC but I can't blame Obsidian for this at all. It's a good decision. It makes much smarter economic sense to put out the x-box version first.

Suck it up.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I prefer the PC but I can't blame Obsidian for this at all. It's a good decision. It makes much smarter economic sense to put out the x-box version first.

Suck it up.

Really? How would anyone really know? For the KOTOR 1, BiowareHAD to release it later, due to some problems with the PC version.

Now Obsidian doesn't have any huge issues left with KOTOR2. And if you ask me, they did not have the biggest say in this. They were done with the game. Lucasarts DECIDED to release on X-Box first, because of M$.

Obsidian has a staff of roughly twenty working on kotor 2. Bioware had atleast double that and then some working on Kotor 1.

QAing for PC is more resource intensive (time, labor) than for a console.

Console games tend to be much more stable than pc games. It is expected of AAA pc games to be patched. Patches cost money.

And then, there is the great equalizer: $ales.

Xbox (or ps2) games outsell PC games. Both on initial release, and on shelf life.

And to tell the truth, I would imagine it would take LA and Obsidian quite a few patches to get the PC version as stable as Bioware's. Unlike Bioware, Obsidian does not have a dedicated full time QA staff.

*edit --I stopped counting Bio's workforce on Kotor after 50...too much

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Obsidian has a staff of roughly twenty working on kotor 2. Bioware had atleast double that and then some working on Kotor 1.

Console games tend to be much more stable than pc games. It is expected of AAA pc games to be patched. Patches cost money.

Xbox (or ps2) games outsell PC games. Both on initial release, and on shelf life.

And to tell the truth, I would imagine it would take LA and Obsidian quite a few patches to get the PC version as stable as Bioware's. Unlike Bioware, Obsidian does not have a dedicated full time QA staff.

Lemme repeeat myself clearly. They were ready to release the PC version at the same time. That's it. And yes, what you say is correct, but they were pretty much done, and already had a stable version, that should work properly.

And remember, they might be a lot of smaller than Bioware, but they didn't have to make the engine this time around, because they are using the same engine as KOTOR2, with not that many changes; so they actually had the time to do more QA. And that means they wouldn't have do as many patches. Beccause Bioware should have found any issues with the engine, during their own QA with the Original KOTOR, and when they released the PC version. Because it uses the same engine, I'm sure that Bioware would have relayed some info on what the issues were to Obsidian.

If that's the case (and it seems it is), then why even bother making a PC version? If the console version (in this case, XBox) is always going to get priority, and the PC version will always be ruined by having a late release (ruined, as in we'll be playing an "old" game, rather than a new release), what's the point? Especially if the PC version costs more in terms of patching and whatnot?

I agree that PC users (I included) are getting the shaft. But they are making two versions, it's just that between the two versions, it would be the lesser of the two evils (sales wise) to give the shaft to PC users.

ps

Just because the engine has already been made doesn't mean that the bug fixing problems is going to go away.

The PC market is still strong I imagine. But PC exclusive gamers make up a fraction of the market share in video games. I don't claim to be an expert on this, but if I were a betting man, (and I am a betting man) I'd put money on the console exclusive industry over the PC exclusive industry if I could choose only one.

Do you like baseball? Take the Red Sox. GM Theo Epstein had to get rid of NoMaH. His health and contract issue was a big blue whale. If sentiments got in the way objectivity, The Sox probably wouldn't have won the World Series and they'd have to deal with this albatross of a contract.

The PC market is still quite viable, but right now --consoles have the market share. That is the reality of the beast unfortunately.

Thankfully, there are still good independent studios making quality crpgs. If they have to make console games to sustain their pc making enterprise --I won't complain.

Do i like this decision, NO.

Do I understand this decision, YES.

There are many more console game players than pc game players because pcs are much more expensive than consules.

Be glad we only have to wait 2 months this time instead of 6 months.

And be glad that they are porting it over to the pc also.

Be glad we only have to wait 2 months this time instead of 6 months.

And be glad that they are porting it over to the pc also.

Glad my ass, dude. I won't be whining around because of the two month delay, but don't expect me to give thanks for being treated as a second-class customer. That post might explain why the PC version has been delayed, but it doesn't explain why the international Xbox release has been delayed too. Halo 2 had a simultaneous worldwide release. So did Half-Life 2, which proves it can be done. For some reason american Xbox players have been given preference above all other, and that reason hasn't been explained yet.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

a simultanious release means that the game was delayed for everyone. translating games for other countries takes time.

Not, that's partially incorrect. If you do not include localization, which Obsidian may OR may not do, the game is already done, with a stable version. It's should be ready everywhere.

american x-box is first because its an american developer could be a reaseon

Yes, you bet it is!!! M$ might have a deal with Lucasarts, to pull off this kinda thing on us.

Guys i have accepted that PC version comes out later, but Obsidian have not confirmed that PC will get extra stuff cuz of that? Now that pisses me off.

Quote:

John Morgan - Although the content for both will be near-identical, the technical requirements for each posed its own unique challenges.

So to me it looks like shafted. Well if PC version put ON HOLD then yes, they will not have enough time to make some extra for PC. :ermm: