Plot question of the day: WHY TARIS!?

KOTOR begins, as I'm guessing everyone here knows by now, with the Endar Spire getting shot down over Taris and Bastila/Revan/Carth making it out at the last minute in escape pods.

So, the question of the day (to pass the time until release): why were they there in the first place? Why would the Republic send a single frigate with the two keys to it's entire war effort through an area which (apparently) was occupied and controlled by the Sith? Where were they going before the Sith ambushed them, and how would they have set Revan up for training and put him on his 'quest' without the apparent justification of his successful actions on Taris?

Discuss.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Taris was on the Outer Rim, was it not?

That's where the Sith were strong and where the Republic was trying to confront them. Perhaps Taris just happened to be the planet that it all went down over.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So, the question of the day (to pass the time until release): why were they there in the first place? Why would the Republic send a single frigate with the two keys to it's entire war effort through an area which (apparently) was occupied and controlled by the Sith? Where were they going before the Sith ambushed them, and how would they have set Revan up for training and put him on his 'quest' without the apparent justification of his successful actions on Taris?

Because it doesn't make sense, just like a lot of other things throughout K1's plot. :wacko:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Taris was on the Outer Rim, was it not?

That's where the Sith were strong and where the Republic was trying to confront them.  Perhaps Taris just happened to be the planet that it all went down over.

That would make sense if it were an actual 'Jedi battle fleet' like the scrolling text says. In this case, though, it was just one Republic frigate getting the crap knocked out of it by the Sith. The Outer Rim in a single frigate would seem to be a bad place to put your two 'aces in the hole.'

Because it doesn't make sense, just like a lot of other things throughout K1's plot. :wacko:

And, just like a lot of other things throughout K1's plot, in order to pass the time, we of the Bored Fan Community are going to overanalyze it until we reach some deep-rooted, profound conclusion which the designers never intended and which makes about as much sense as the people who claim Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is an allegory for Christianity. :huh:

In other words, let's make up stuff so we don't have to talk about how painful the wait is.

KOTOR begins, as I'm guessing everyone here knows by now, with the Endar Spire getting shot down over Taris and Bastila/Revan/Carth making it out at the last minute in escape pods.

Discuss.

It was the fate, the will of the force

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

do we know how many ships attended the convoy before being attacked?

If there were other ships, they were neither mentioned nor do they make even the slightest appearance. It's possible, but more likely we'd have to conceive of it as the Endar Spire travelling alone so as to allay suspicion about it's crew.

an perhaps they were on their way to somewhere else!?

They must have been. Even if they didn't know the Sith were occupying Taris, I can hardly see a reason to bring Revan and Bastila to an obscure Outer Rim world with no Star Maps. The question is thus: where were they going?

They must have been. Even if they didn't know the Sith were occupying Taris, I can hardly see a reason to bring Revan and Bastila to an obscure Outer Rim world with no Star Maps. The question is thus: where were they going?

I can't remember now, since I haven't played the game in a few months, but didn't it say in the intro what the Ender Spire was doing out there?

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

PLOT ANSWER OF THE DAY: because rachgouls are cute!!! j/k

hey anyone read books that have stuff about the coruscant undercity area? i read somethin and it had creatures like rackghouls. do you think its where the devs got the idea. i cant remember the book title but it was about darth maul and it was right before episode 1.

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

I don't know the SW universe good enough to say what their possible destination could be! But yes it seems strange to bring along Revan and Bastilla unless it was an attempt to have Revan reveal something while travelling the Outer Rims .. That way it would make more sense to travel in a single ship to avoid attention, and bring along a few Jedis if any trouble should arise! and perhaps the Counsel already knew of the bond Revan and Bastilla shared, which would allow Bastilla to tap into Revans unconcious mind! just a thought ..

Fortune favors the bald.

PLOT ANSWER OF THE DAY:  because rachgouls are cute!!! j/k

hey anyone read books that have stuff about the coruscant undercity area?  i read somethin and it had creatures like rackghouls.  do you think its where the devs got the idea.  i cant remember the book title but it was about darth maul and it was right before episode 1.

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

Good book. But I can't recall any creatures similar to rakghouls. But I'm sure they're there though.

Ok, time for my attempt to fill the gaping plot hole:

The Endar Spire was travelling alone so as not to attract Sith attention. Revan was not yet intended to wake up and begin his new identity; Bastila and company were bringing him to Dantooine, where he would be woken and reinstructed in the Jedi way to prevent another fall to the Dark Side (explaining why they didn't simply program him directly as a Jedi; they wanted to take a direct hand in preventing a repeat of history), and thus setting him up to work with Bastila in finding the Star Maps.

Along the way, the Sith learned somehow (perhaps through a spy?) about Bastila being onboard and set a trap in a system (Taris) they were passing through to reach Dantooine. Therefore, Taris only came under Sith occupation a few days before the arrival of the Endar Spire, preventing the Republic ship from knowing they were headed into a trap, and thus when the Endar Spire emerged in the system the Sith took them completely off-guard, pounced on them with their fighters, and voila, you've got your KOTOR set-up.

Another thought: instead of just being a disposable tutorial character (*cough*), Trask Ulgo was one of the few people on board to know Revan's real identity, and was assigned to watch him in case he started to wake up. This explains why he sacrificed himself so you could get away, as well as why he was so patient with your idiotic questions about who Bastila was, what the Endar Spire was, etc.

There's my attempt to explain it. Any faults with my makeshift patch-up of this problem? :rolleyes:

This explains why he sacrificed himself so you could get away, as well as why he was so patient with your idiotic questions about who Bastila was, what the Endar Spire was, etc.

Yeah, he taught you how to open chests and put some clothes on, too. Nice guy.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Here's the game intro text, on starwarsknights.com:

http://www.starwarsknights.com/story.php

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't really answer the question. The 'Jedi Battle Fleet desperately trying to halt Malak's conquest of the galaxy' turns pretty damn quickly into a single Republic ship ambushed and completely unprepared to fight. :rolleyes:

Yeah, he taught you how to open chests and put some clothes on, too. Nice guy.

A pity he never teaches you how to eat or use the bathroom. I'm guessing Revan was pretty uncomfortable by the end of the game.

that's why he's gone in TSL, hes still taking a dump! :rolleyes:

but, about my idea, couldn't it be because they wanted to take Revan out through the Outer Rims, to "ignite" some of his lost memories, in an kinda controlable enviroment? so they had some kind of idea what Malak and him found and why they turned evil .. and possibly where!?

Fortune favors the bald.

Discuss.

Maybe they were planing on taking back Taris?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

that's why he's gone in TSL, hes still taking a dump!  :rolleyes:

but, about my idea, couldn't it be because they wanted to take Revan out through the Outer Rims, to "ignite" some of his lost memories, in an kinda controlable enviroment? so they had some kind of idea what Malak and him found and why they turned evil .. and possibly where!?

Like I said, I think that this was the will of the force, I'm sure the council meditated a great deal on what they should do and this was the force showed them

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Maybe they were planing on taking back Taris?

Then why does it say they were ambushed? Why was there only the Endar Spire in the system? And why didn't Bastila 'have a chance' to use her Battle Meditation?

If the Republic was planning on taking Taris back, they

Like I said, I think that this was the will of the force, I'm sure the council meditated a great deal on what they should do and this was the force showed them

Possible, but a bit of a stretch. Even if the Jedi Council was convinced it was 'the will of the Force' to send a lone frigate to a Sith occupied planet and apparently inevitable doom, I doubt the Republic would volunteer many troops for the mission. :rolleyes: