Will Obsidian buy "jefferson" from Interplay?

ramza

I have sent mails to many people (Grok, Sawyer, Feargus) asking them about the chances of being ressurected the jefferson project (aka BG3 which was being developed by BIS) has. From what they have answered, I guess that it's quite unprobable but I never lose hope. If they understand that jefferson is a potential blockbuster, I am sure that they will not think it twice before they start the project again. I believe that it is still possible to buy the jefferson code from Interplay (who is falling apart and desperately needs cash).

Obsidian Entertainment is in the best position to complete this project as most of its employees have already worked on it in the past and are familiar with the game's engine. I believe they will have not trouble finishing the remaining work and changing the story to fit WotC's moral guidelines.

I have already shared my idea with Feargus Urquhart and he was willing to complete the game. The only problem was that they did not have enough cash to buy the engine and the game's code. Unless the gains from their future games are not enough to cover this cost, I was wondering if Atari could buy this engine and then hire Obsidian to finish the project. I know this is complicated from a legal point of view but it is not impossible. Even if Obsidian manages to buy the engine, they will need the d&d licence from Atari.

The game was highly anticipated by the public knowing that it came from a reliable game developer. The game was named "BG3", but I believe there is another project bearing this title. I do not think this poses a problem since Atari has the d&d licence and can give any title they want. I remember Feargus saying that he wished he could produce a game under the "Icewind Dale" brand. I think that it can be a good idea to publish Jefferson under the IWD logo, knowing that the brand is well-known by d&d gamers. If there are problems with connecting jefferson

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I will give up only if Feargus explicitely admits that he isn't interested in finishing the project.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Ramza, I realise you want The Black Hound to be made, many of us do. But you've clearly made your position known, contacted the apporpriate people, there's nothing else to be done.

Feargus is not obligated to answer in such direct and final way, and it's not cool to demand he do so in order to get you to stop posting about Jefferson. I think that he has answered you, as well as JE answering you, ought to be well above and beyond anything that could be expected.

So, on that note, I'm locking this thread.

newlogo.gif