So which skills will be most useful, story-wise?

Yes, I know the Designers have made an effort to make every skill more useful.

Yes, I know this time around Treat Injury or Demolitions won't just be a laughable waste of points due to the godlike power of Force Heal and the underwhelming power of mines.

The real question I'm asking is: which skills will let me see new dialogue, new character development, new and interesting things story-wiserather than gameplay-wise? I like being able to disassemble old inventory for parts as much as the next guy, but what I always enjoy most in any RPG is storyline, and therefore I want to know which skills will let me see as much of that nifty stuff as possible.

Take an example: Planescape: Torment. Yes, you could play the game as a Fighter or Thief, and see lots of cool stuff, no problem....but without being a mage for at least awhile, the entire Dak'kon conversation string involving the Circle of Zerthimon was locked to you. That was, IMHO, one of the coolest parts of the game....and, frankly, I want to unlock as much of that nifty stuff as possible when I play.

Or Fallout 2; if your skill in Science was high enough, you could not only humiliate Myron with your superior knowledge (especially fun if you're playing a woman), but could find a cure for Jet and make it so Vault City could win Redding (though who would want that to happen?)

So what about it, designers, if you're out there? Any skills you would specifically recommend we focus on for someone looking for story development rather than simple gameplay stuff? :rolleyes:

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

GAAAHH!

Sorry, folks, kept giving me an error message so I thought it wasn't posting. Mods, if you're out there, please delete the duplicates. :rolleyes:

VCR programing

20,000 years of star travel and they haven't even moved up to DVDs?

VCR programing

20,000 years of star travel and they haven't even moved up to DVDs?

Actually I wonder if the have discovered the superior sound quality of vinyl

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

So far i've heard that treat injury and repair will add dialog lines but i'm sure others will also.

Plus you can delete your own excess threads. :lol:

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Plus you can delete your own excess threads. :lol:

Hmmm......I looked under edit, but didn't see the option.

Checking again. :)

Yeah, I was hoping for some of that myself. I never played Fallout but I picked up a guide about it when I heared of Obsidian, pretty interesting game imo. OE might done this with Kotor because they already said in a article that the endings would be similar to the Fallout series. :cool:

Plus you can delete your own excess threads. :thumbsup:

Hmmm......I looked under edit, but didn't see the option.

Checking again. :)

It's not in 'edit' its at the bottom of the page in moderator options just below users reading topic. :thumbsup:

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

It's not in 'edit' its at the bottom of the page in moderator options just below users reading topic. :thumbsup:

Ahhh. Got it.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

it depends on what you want I guess .. Demolition and Security will get you access to hidden areas or shortcuts and what have you ..

Intelligence, charisma, wisdom, awarness and persuade will help in dialouge options and unlock information .. perhaps this is most story related?

its quite logical what each skill and attribute will help with .. But it depends if you want to talk your way through or blow your way through! both is story related I guess.. :(

Fortune favors the bald.

I think computer would be the most useful, storywise. In Kotor it was the skill I used most (actively). Persude would be useful too, but I think persuade as a DS skill, and I'd like to see myself as a Super LS Guy :)

Pursuade isn't DS, its neutral. Pursuade can't be used to force anyone to do anything. Its ultimately the decision of the target.

Force Persuade is another story entirely though...

ya what do you think Obi-Won uses in ANH it all depends on the circumstances

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think this time around all the skills will be more useful which will add to the replay value.

Awareness seems to have the most potential if it is going to be used to gauge other people's tones/moods/body launguage in conversations. I think we will see a lot of people trying to be deceptive when speaking with the PC, and being able to see through, or even play along with, someone's lie could have interesting story repercussions. Romances, if there will be any, could be made a little more interesting by perceiving what another person is feeling, and whether it not it would, for example, be prudent to press them on their feelings or if it would make him or her uncomfortable.

I'd imagine things like Repair and Treat Injury will play somewhat minor roles in the story, such as repairing a broken console to access it or treating an injured NPC's wounds (ala the Wookie in the Shadowlands that you had the option of healing, which always succeded by default).

I heard that stealth will let you see conversations that without enough stealth. pursuade will also be useful.

Awareness seems to have the most potential if it is going to be used to gauge other people's tones/moods/body launguage in conversations. I think we will see a lot of people trying to be deceptive when speaking with the PC, and being able to see through, or even play along with, someone's lie could have interesting story repercussions. Romances, if there will be any, could be made a little more interesting by perceiving what another person is feeling, and whether it not it would, for example, be prudent to press them on their feelings or if it would make him or her uncomfortable.

I agree

Ya I never used stealth in kotor, hopefully they will give me a good reason to use it in atleast one of the play throughs