DVD version

Do you want KOTOR II realeased on DVD for PC?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want KOTOR II realeased on DVD for PC?

• 1) Yes
    • 2) No
    • 3) I don't have a DVD drive.

In K1, you only had to switch discs when you first installed the game.

Tho I do agree I'd rather have a one disc release. It would help cut down on piracy as well. As was said, alot of people have a dvd drive and if they don't then they are dirt cheap for a good one, but not alot of people have DVD writers.

being released on one dvd or 4 cd's will not affect piracy of this game. the chance of it being pirated is 100%, chance of it being cracked is around the same. if it uses the same protection its back up to 100%. as for the price of dvd drives, for most people its not about the price, its about installing it. most of them have pre built machines which they cannont and will not open. external dvd drives are not as cheap.

So the vast majority wants DVD.

i doubt the people who voted here count as a majority, definitely not a vast majority.

There is a poll on lucasarts.com which asks you if you do hava a DVD player on your pc.

Does this mean that they plan on releasing future games on DVD format?

If so do you think they will release KOTOR 2 on DVD?

Do I think the option should be there to purchase a DVD copy? Yes.

Am I going to purchase the CD copy because I don't have a DVD installed? Yes.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I do support a DVD-version for the PC. I bought mine when Unreal Tournament 2004 was released, the whole 6 cd's issue pursuaded me.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I definately support both CD and DVD versions for KotOR 2.

Most current games require at least 2 CDs to handle all the content, and many, such as KotOR are on the order of 3+. Much of this is due to graphics upgrades, but there's also things such as cutscenes and voice acting to consider. KotOR had full voice-over for all the character interactions. This was a huge factor in furthering the realism of this game. You didn't have to read the dialogue as it was being spoken, as in many RPGs. I assume KotOR 2 will follow the same track. With graphics getting better and better (look at HL2) and voice-over becoming more and more common in games, the data required will keep getting larger and larger. That's not even considering engines for things such as physics and rag-doll effects.

Computer hardware keeps getting upgrades for these types of things. Hard drives get bigger, computers have more RAM and faster processors, and video cards keep getting beefier. Eventually media storage will have to catch up. Although KotOR's CDs only had to be changed during installation, it would have been much easier to have one DVD for it. That way it's easier to keep track of the game disks. Not to mention the fact that a dual-layer DVD holds almost 12.5 CDs worth of data.

Also, the argument that some people don't have a DVD drive does not carry any weight whatsoever with me. This is no excuse. People constantly upgrade things such as RAM and video cards, but never think to upgrade their optical drives, which is much cheaper. Most new computers come with DVD drives standard anyway. Nowadays computers don't last much more than 4 or 5 years, if you keep them well, and most people go through computers faster than that. If you are thinking of getting a new computer anytime soon and don't currently have a DVD drive, realize that you'll probably get one with the new machine.

Suffice it to say, I believe that there should be a CD version for those who wish it, but digital media is going the way of the DVD, and I think that those who have the technology and want the conveniene of less disks that DVD offers should be able to elect this option over CDs.

Enough said.

Live forever or die trying.

jengaaaaux2.gif

• 2 months later...

lol, before you know it, 3GB will be required minimum and 10GB maximum. lol

But i think there should be Both DVD and CD Versions, but eventually when everyone has had enough time to upgrade to a DVD drive, then it should switch to DVD all together, because i would think it would be more cheaper putting them on DVDs right?

But very surely less annoying for us users.

Please insert CD2. *shivers*

lol, before you know it, 3GB will be required minimum and 10GB maximum. lol

But i think there should be Both DVD and CD Versions, but eventually when everyone has had enough time to upgrade to a DVD drive, then it should switch to DVD all together, because i would think it would be more cheaper putting them on DVDs right?

But very surely less annoying for us users.

Please insert CD2. *shivers*

I remember purchasing a 30GB Hard Drive for my computer so I could do a full install of BG@ and avoid having to switch disks constantly.

I currently only have one game on dvd. Actually I suppose it would be three. I bought the 10th anniversary DVD edition of the Myst Trilogy. Came with a DVD for each game which was great as Riven has 5 by itself...