Designer Rambling: Security Skill

or go play HALO 2 and say that you wanted to play as a dog

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Also add in a degree in Creative Writing and Literature as well as 20 years of experience in gaming-both PnP and computer, I think I have a rather informed opinion.

.....you should find something better to do than argue with kids and young adults about star wars....since you're so old and all.....I'm 19 and I couldn't see myself getting into heated arguements at an older age like you....you should check out women, or religion, or something abit more mature, maybe become a Wine Connoisseur and then get drunk....look in a mirror-see doubles of urself....and then argue with yourself about something stupid for a few hours....until one of you gives up :thumbsup:

I am not saying SW shouldn't have Jedi, I am just saying we shouldn't be forced to play a Jedi.  The option to play one should be there, but there should be an option not to play one.

Go play SWG, your not "forced" to be a Jedi but if your one than you kickass

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Thing is the foucs of Star Wars is the uber-cool factor of Jedi.  Just take a look of the recent rash of movies and related material.  Its not about character development or even story.  Its about the Jedi swinging lightsabers killing everything.

ehm what they have to show in movies?

most of people await to see the jedi, the new powers and so on i don't see anything wrong if movies or screens are "combat related"

For sure i prefer them to a major spoiler of the story that will just ruin my playing experience.

My expectations are high about the storyline as it seem the main focus of the devs, expecially as the engine is the same as K1.

It also means that probably there will be not some thecnical innovations to capture our eyes, yes there will be optimizations, new cool things and abilities, but in the end will be mostly about it's story and it's characters, that are also the thing that make an RPG/adventure a successfull game.

now thanks to Chris Avellone for these Ramblings that whitout spoilers make it easyer to await the publish (i hope there will be also 3 more months of non spoilers ramblings for euro PC users :thumbsup:)

just a question.

we see that all secondary skills got improved to meke them more usefull and important in the game.

In K1 these skill where also useful, but in most cases was just necessary to have the right character in the right moment and use its skills whitout be "forced" to develope the character ones.

whitout making spoilers... will the character that chose to develop some skills or to grab a class who focus more on skills (as i think to remember sentinel is) will have some "advantages" during the game like a different way to resolve a problem, more things that only the PC can do (like HK reapir rolls) or will just be more free in chosing party members focusing more on a "group balance" and team cooperation?

:blink: Lol. You don't have to be a jedi... :blink:

( i.e. Monk, sith lord, assassin, gun slinger, bounty hunter, swoop racer, scum :-" , dueler, mechanic, mandalorian fighter, pazaak player... HUTT~?? :D :thumbsup::lol:

Take your pick... ppl keep trying to point out flaws before they've even played the game. >_<

Thats a MMORPG and I don't play MMORPGs. I have this thing about money pits and well, MMORPGs are the biggest worthless POS on the market right now. Except maybe Guildwars, but they don't have a monthly fee so that is why I might check them out when the game is released.

Satasn: Who says I don't? Gaming is a hobby of mine and always will be. I don't bother watching the television, except for Red Green, Red Dwarf, Enterprise, and Doctor Who, nor do I go out to movies. FInd just sitting there watching tends to be fairly boring. I prefer a little more interactivity which CRPGs provide. Also I do not drink alcohal. It is against my code of ethics for it impures the mind and soul.

How could you claim you have a taste for a true story when you don't watch any classic movies and you watch Red Green as a second hobby??? Wow, Duct tape again... the story has so much depth it blows my mind.  :thumbsup:  (w00t)  :cool:

You haven't seen the Red Green movie Duct Tape Forever? BWAAHAAAAHAAAA!

When I am not on the forums or playing PC games I am either at work, which is very boring, or writing on my pet project that I have been working on and refining over the last two to three years on.

Its a low rent PBS comedy that most people out grow

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

HA! I can never get enough of that show, but then again unlike most people I know I actually like things that most find tasteful. Red Green, Permadeth, Plato, and the such. :ph34r:

*Checks Hades_One's Pulse... "O My, He's Dead... WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! He's just brain dead! O H ah aha ha ha ha.*

Seriously, you must live in a swamp and the most common used words in your village are varment and "hic". :thumbsup:

HA! I can never get enough of that show, but then again unlike most people I know I actually like things that most find tasteful. Red Green, Permadeth, Plato, and the such. :ph34r:

Ya I use to watch that show alot actually, even red dwarf, but then something happen, puberty. Don't get me wrong I love Adult Swim and stuff of that nature, but I won't insult those shows by comparing them to red green.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I am not saying SW shouldn't have Jedi, I am just saying we shouldn't be forced to play a Jedi.  The option to play one should be there, but there should be an option not to play one.

i consider KOTOR and other "RPG" games more as adventures, in a RPG played on paper you make the story, in a "solo" video game this is not possible for obvious reasons.

i think you should consider this game more like a good book that tells you the "adventures" of some hero making you immedesimate in it.

For sure in a video game the player is more active, expecially in a game like KOTOR where you have to take some key decisions, chose how to behave and so on.

Anyway the story is not your, you are not making it, you are following a "road" and the story is alredy wrote.

the "cycle" (?) of KOTOR is clearly about jedis, is the way it was tought, as the title itself say, you expect to "hear" about the story and the adventures of some jedi hero/villain as if you go in a bookshop to grab "the hobbit" you will expect to read the adventures of a little hobbit and not for example of elves or ents.

i can also agree with you that jedis are not the only characters of SW, there are BHs, smugglers and maybe in future there will be a RPG/adventure even about some other chars, but generally what have caught the imagination of most of people are indeed the force users, their mistery, power, discipline doesn't neem so strange to me that these games put you in the dress of a jedi, is what most of the people want... look at the movies in ep 4,5,6 Luke is an important char, but the story is also about Han and Leia that are as important as him, if you look at ep1 and 2 is all about jedis, all the main characters are at least FS or relevant only because they will interact with a jedi.

ok time to stop that is becoming too long :)

and sorry for bad english

More ramblings, some differences with the security skill from K1:

1. There's a lot of locked containers in K2. Usually you can bash them open instead of opening them with security, but if you bash open some containers (not all), you'll end up damaging the contents, so be careful - having a high Security skill can make it so you pop open containers without damaging them.

Nice. I like the fact that you risk damaging the item you're trying to get at.

2. Security tunnelers will be in this game, like in K1, but there's only one level of them - whenever you have a locked door or container highlighted and you can't open it with your security skill, try to use a security tunneler on it from the Items menu - it can help boost your skill temporarily.

Also, Demolitions makes for an added use in the game - basically, you'll be encountering melted doors and containers that can only be opened with Demolitions, so characters with a good enough Demolitions skill can blow open sealed doors and containers, provided they have mines.

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys a heads-up on some more of the gameplay mechanics.

Chris

Also good. Looks like the skills will be much, much more useful than they were in KOTOR.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

But wouldn't the tunnelers sorta negate the need for security skills? Demolition does sound interesting - I'd like to hear more about it. Didn't some early info indicate that demolitions skill would affect the dameg of mines a character sets or even grenades a character throws?

Thing is the foucs of Star Wars is the uber-cool factor of Jedi.  Just take a look of the recent rash of movies and related material.  Its not about character development or even story.  Its about the Jedi swinging lightsabers killing everything.

And here I thought you actually liked Star Wars. :("

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

People, Visceris (Hades to you folks) goes away if you ignore him. Or act really, really mean, mean every word of it (the pun, hahaha, the pun is killing me!) and preferably are someone of very high standing (ie. a dev). Use the first option, and his dreaded "hijack thread and make it be all about me, HADES" power will not take effect. However, the results are worth seeing in the latter one, too.

Oh, and

"More ramblings, some differences with the security skill from K1:

{snip}

Also, Demolitions makes for an added use in the game - basically, you'll be encountering melted doors and containers that can only be opened with Demolitions, so characters with a good enough Demolitions skill can blow open sealed doors and containers, provided they have mines."

I :( you, MCA!

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!