Designer Rambling: Security Skill

More ramblings, some differences with the security skill from K1:

1. There's a lot of locked containers in K2. Usually you can bash them open instead of opening them with security, but if you bash open some containers (not all), you'll end up damaging the contents, so be careful - having a high Security skill can make it so you pop open containers without damaging them.

2. Security tunnelers will be in this game, like in K1, but there's only one level of them - whenever you have a locked door or container highlighted and you can't open it with your security skill, try to use a security tunneler on it from the Items menu - it can help boost your skill temporarily.

Also, Demolitions makes for an added use in the game - basically, you'll be encountering melted doors and containers that can only be opened with Demolitions, so characters with a good enough Demolitions skill can blow open sealed doors and containers, provided they have mines.

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys a heads-up on some more of the gameplay mechanics.

Chris

You know, I never used the tunnelers in my K1 games. Never figured how to use them so I just ignored them and sold them off whenever I could. As for using demolitions to open containers that might be all well and good for the non-Jedi but a Jedi could just use the lightsaber and open the containers and doors with far greater ease. It seems to be waste of code to put that in since the game focuses of Jedi.

You know, I never used the tunnelers in my K1 games.  Never figured how to use them so I just ignored them and sold them off whenever I could.  As for using demolitions to open containers that might be all well and good for the non-Jedi but a Jedi could just use the lightsaber and open the containers and doors with far greater ease.  It seems to be waste of code to put that in since the game focuses of Jedi.

Unless of course, you don't start with a lightsaber, and not all your companions could use one or would have access to one.

Your character may be a Jedi/Sith, but I wouldn't agree that the game has a Jedi focus at all - and T3 may violently object to such comments. ;)

But you have to take into account that T3 isn't real so he can not object to anything...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It's really good that finally your security skiil is going to be of some use, since in K1 there was no real reason for you to improve it , since you could crack open chests by force.

This ganme is revealling to be a great game alltough using the same game engine and graphic engine.

The force is within you Obsidian entertainement

Once you get lightsaber there is no reason to use anyone else for such things. Its not like you aren't going to be playing without your main PC 99% of the time of the game. Having a Jedi makes the rest of the NPCs worthless. That is the nature of uber munchkin characters.

Eh? Well, Hades, you're a role player. Role play and find out the rest of the party's story! Ye need not be disillusioned by mere lightsabers!

Example: Haer'Dalis. Not very good at...Anything. But a very interesting character, and he was always in my party. 'Tis a role I am glad to play.

Thing is the foucs of Star Wars is the uber-cool factor of Jedi.  Just take a look of the recent rash of movies and related material.  Its not about character development or even story.  Its about the Jedi swinging lightsabers killing everything.

I'm uber-tired of always hearing the same uber-lame opinion, most seem to be able uber-reserve there uber-judgement till after the uber-game is released :shifty:

That is of course unless you have already player KOTOR 2 then I guess 'some' of the stuff you spew might be uber-true

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I'm glad you think so

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Good news, nice to see skills like security and demolition actually have a use..

Btw, why do people bother responding to hades, do as me every time I see a post, I jump over it. All he wants is to complain...for some people that's how they get off, nothing will change that....

I played the first KotOR, seen the movies, read 3 novels, and read the PnP rules system that the game is based on.  I think I have a rather informed opinion on this game, moreso than other non-developers/non-publisher people.

ah, i see. you read a few comics and played kotor 1, ergo you have an informed opinion on the game...

hehe, you are funny.

True, and without a doubt my response was childish, there has to be someone who isn't blindly accepting of the "greatness" of the game and alot of the times I agree with him. Just a poor posting by me

I played the first KotOR, seen the movies, read 3 novels, and read the PnP rules system that the game is based on.  I think I have a rather informed opinion on this game, moreso than other non-developers/non-publisher people.

All that only means that he has the mindset of an educated, 55 year old mule. Stubborn and smelly! :shifty: How can the Star Wars universe be without Jedi? OMG! That is ridiculous, you want SW without Jedi. Thats like Forgotten Realms without Dragons, Liches, and Elminsters/Drizzts. The man complains about Jedi in SW... wow, dude take a hint and play another game. SW will always have Jedi.

Then *waves hand* this isn't the game you're looking for, move along

You should go to the Mario Tennis site and complain about how all you can be is one of the main characters and not a common mushroom person. Also about how easy it is for Mario to defeat goobas and that the game is too easy

Spread the wealth