THE BEST SUGGESTION

I can't say anything with 1 or 2 sentences... so bear with me.

My Girlfriend loved the original Star Wars movies, but was less impressed by Episode 1 and 2. I told her about this game KOTR I had played and how the storyline was actually better than Episode 1 and 2. SHe hesitated to play the game because ... well... most computer games are either "who can click the fastest" which wasn't her thing or you had to be statistics major to understand how to configure a well rounded character that wouldn't die in 10 minutes.

Of course this was one of the great aspects of KOTR1... You didn't need to be an expert with dice, cards and statistics nor were your skills depenedent on who clicked faster. It was more like watching a movie... only the attention was on YOU. You were the main character and you guided your character to the light or dark side.

OK... so where is my suggestion in all of this hype that you already know. Well... after spending 3 weeks playing Kotr 1, we went out and rented the Star Wars Trilogy and re-watched it. My girlfriend commented how short the movies seemed after having spent 60 hours playing KOTR. SHe wanted to go back and re-experience the story of KOTR... but she didn't feel like spending another 60 hours on the game.

And that is when I had my idea. Wouldn't it have been cool if after playing through all of KOTR (all 60 hours), if at the end, a new option became available to play back my own personalized KOTR movie? Sure, some first person shooter games today will let you record and play back a demo... but imagine an hour and a half to 2 hour long scripted sequence using the portrait that that I chose and wearing the equipment that my character was wearing at the time. A few optional sequences depending on some choice and alignment flags and of course different camera angles to truely give it a cinema affect. (The camera is in the cantina and you see your character walk in). But ultimately something that I could play back and re-watch right along side my Star Wars Movie.

I am talking about one of the first major merges between video games and movies. And KOTR 2 could be that great first game that does it for the first time. The graphics card market is ready; computers now have enough hard drive space to store such a rendered sequence. The timing is right. If KOTR 2 doesn't do it, someone else will.

If this isn't the first time this has been suggested, well then consider this my vote towards pursuing the idea.

interesting idea...though of course it won't happen for kotor 2....But do you mean sort of like a replay, where you can edit the major parts and watch that? I think for it to be interesting, they'd need to expand on it in some areas so it flows, rather than gaving all in game seqeunces, and also shorten the thing to watchable lengtj

A lot of details would need to be left out. For example, you wouldn't want to watch your character running around opening lots of containers... nor would you want to watch your character spend 5 minutes selling and buying equipment... or playing pazzak... I am just talking about the major plot elements. Conversations... a few fights, a few major events.

As an example, for KOTR, you might see the opening video of the Endar Spire getting attacked, then see your character wake up, the trainer guy run in and say "Come on".. then skip to the bit where you and trainer are entering a room and the trainer runs off to battle darth Bandon. As your character tries to open the other door, you see the introduction with carth.. then you watch one battle between your character and the guards outside Carths room... you see your character open the door and carth says "You made it!" and then you see the video sequence of the pod ejecting.

There is an example of the first 3 to 5 minutes of the personalized Kotr movie. Do you watch your character fight every fight, or open every container or run down every hallway... no. But you see the highlights of your 60 hour game which should condense down to about an hour and half to 2 hours. Then you could re-experience the storyline without the extra 58 hours of running down hallways, opening containers and doing inventory management.

hmmm, sounds ok, but wouldn't such a feature ask to much of the developers? After all, they need all the time they get just to deliver the game and make sure it's bugfree. Although, they could implement scripts at major events in the game, so you just have to follow the scripts. I think this is rather a question for the mod-scene. Perhaps a few experienced modders could do something with it.

but wouldn't such a feature ask to much of the developers?

It really depends on the Engione Tech and what is already implemented. For example, replaying conversations should be easy, because they are already scripted for the game (Basically just a lot of copy and paste with a few alterations to change the camera angle and auto-select the users responces)

However, playing back important fight sequences COULD be much harder. Many games have the ability to record and playback. I think almost any game by ID software is an example. If KOTR already has the ability to record game events and save to a file ... this task would also be trivial. 3 experienced scripters could go through the game in probably 1 week and lay down the needed triggers and event captures to record the sequences. And you wouldn't have all that pausing to make decisions. Fights would go by much more smoothly.

But scripting is much easier than programming. If the engine tech doesn't already have the ability to save to file, then yes, it would be quite a development effort. Espcecially this close to release.

If the engine doesnt already support recording and playback... then guybrush threepwood is correct... it would never happen in KOTR 2. However, if the engine already has the ability to save game events to file and replay them in a scripted manner.. then it wouldn't be unreasonable for Obsidian to have such a feature in the PC release (You would need a computers HD space to store these event sequence files anyway).

Forget all other arguemnts: Considering K2 for the Xbox is done, I'm doubting they are going to add it to K2 :-

EDIT: something kinda similar to this suggestion is the "slide show ending", which has been (apparently) worked in to K2 in some form.

Basically it tells/shows you what effect your actions had on the game univese.

Ya but mostlikly that will be like 2 minutes long or shorter.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

like what he said, except after battles and when you go to the game menu is says on one place in the menu

Would you like to watch that battle over in _________ mode

(________ means they would have to give it a cool name like realtime mode)

and it shows you that battle, EXCEPT it gets rid of the pauses, missed rounds, floating numbers, and get to the sword fighting

How the heck did you manage to spent 60 hours on KOTOR?

I would apologize though if by saying 60 hours you ment two plays one LS and one DS.

Usually it would take me 23-29 hours to finish the game (with everything done, expect pazak)

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

He did every thing and he asked every one questions more than once, he would take time to look at the amazing sceenery.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

:huh: lovely :wub:

Their are the moments everyone encounters like the first swooprace and so on.

If al those events and you're reactions are saved they could use pre made movies( so not screenshots or screenshot movies but movies already made by the producers with better graphics)

and at each time there comes a point where you have to decide( wheter you be girl or boy, dark or light)

it loads the thing/option (moviepart) you decided (slay bastilla or not).

So you'll get a quit realistic movie that would only be avaible if you played out the game.

Adding extra scenes as a sort of bonus.

This however would be severall more gigabyte's thus making the game more expensif

IT COULD BE AN EXPANSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

released a few months later for they now have too little time left i'm afraid.

:) what thee think??? :)

:thumbsup:

watching a replay would be good and all but just out of curiosity would it just be a silent screen showing you run through the whole game cause id want all the conversations and that is where the problem would lie for the fact that revan has no voice! 

Yeah, it would kinda suck when everybody talksaxcept Revan... They'd have to make Revan ONE char like in FF-series, you can't choose, you just get what square desides (stupid Tidus!! whinervoice "!

ehhhhhhhh

Maybe if was more like 30 min to an hour

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

watching a replay would be good and all but just out of curiosity would it just be a silent screen showing you run through the whole game cause id want all the conversations and that is where the problem would lie for the fact that revan has no voice! 

Yeah, it would kinda suck when everybody talksaxcept Revan... They'd have to make Revan ONE char like in FF-series, you can't choose, you just get what square desides (stupid Tidus!! whinervoice "!