my new car

J.E. Sawyer

I like cars. I did not really like my Audi that much. It was okay, but not that much fun to drive. It had a bit more luxury than I really needed, and my monthly payments were high enough that I had to make a frowny face. This evening, I traded in my Audi and bought this black beauty: a 2004 Volkswagen R32. I got the only option available: leather seats.

front.JPG

seats.JPG

dash.JPG

I love it. It has a 250 horsepower 3.2L VR6 engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission. It uses a Haldex (front-biased) all-wheel drive system, but absolutely no torque steer is felt even under heavy driving. The brakes are from a Passat W8, with massive 4-piston calipers. Of course, it has a sport suspension and, as the pictures show, the front seats are manual K

• Like 3

grrr... network problems. ok, here's what i tried to post a bit ago...

i like those seats. very nice. of course, that car is waaay too small for my butt. either way, i bet that 250 HP scoots in such a little thing.

i wish i had waited a year on my car. i love it, but they upped the ponies to 298 this year and the AWD version is only a couple k more than what i paid anyway... oh well, i can always trade it in :rolleyes:

hope you enjoy it...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The seats don't look too small, but it looks too small for my legs. Maybe it's like the corvette where there's leg room but you feel like you're almost lying down in the car. I hate that.

My wife likes Mustangs, which is cool, because, unless you go for some ridiculous tricked out car, it's not that expensive, even for a gt. Personally, I'm a comfort and luxury sort of fellow, but the wife wins every time. We have two mustangs and I think we'll probably get another one the next time as well. I don't see the reason so many people love Mustangs, but there it is. Her brother has a 65 Mustand that I must admit is rather nice. Still, no airconditioning, no power brakes, no power steering. It's a 289, but I'd rather have air conditioning in the So Cal summer.

You can really tell the difference between folks who like sports and folks who like luxury. JE sees a manual transmission and thinks: AWESOME! I see it and think: EXTRA WORK!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i wish i had waited a year on my car.  i love it, but they upped the ponies to 298 this year and the AWD version is only a couple k more than what i paid anyway...

Do you have a G35?

The seats don't look too small, but it looks too small for my legs.

No, there's plenty of room up front, but only very small people/midgets/babies/amputees should sit behind me.

You can really tell the difference between folks who like sports and folks who like luxury.  JE sees a manual transmission and thinks:  AWESOME!  I see it and think:  EXTRA WORK!

Even in stop-and-go San Diego traffic, I don't mind. I can't stand automatics anymore.

No, there's plenty of room up front, but only very small people/midgets/babies/amputees should sit behind me.

Well if you want room in the back, you go for the 4 door golf. More room, less performance.

Personally I want a Volvo S60R You get the style of a sedan, with the power of a sports car :thumbsup:

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You bought a VW Golf? (That's what it's called in Europe)

I used to own a VW Golf. It was from 1974, the very first model of Golf that was ever manufactured. To make the trade from an Audi to VW is kind of.. awkward.. here in Sweden at least. That's like switching in your 20" TFT monitor for a 21" CRT.. or something.

I do know how well the Golf handles on the road though. It's almost like driving a very heavy go-cart. The Haldex system is a swedish invention by the way.. :wub:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If I told you what car we had, you'd put that together with how we live and the hippie accusations would rain from the sky.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You bought a VW Golf? (That's what it's called in Europe)

I think how it works is that the Golf is the 4 door, the GTI is the 2 door, and the R32 is the beefed up performance version of the GTI.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That is a very nice car, JE> congrats!

I am currently in a 200SX(american, not european). I certainly WISH i was driving an S15 that is called 200SX in some european areas I hear.

Anyway, I have seen a few VW R32's in the states. I like them. Lots of new AWD's are quite nice... R32, the Euro Focus AWD, Evo, WRX/STI, now the Mazda6 MPS/Mazdaspeed. I WISH the old Nissan R32, R33, R34's were available stateside, but oh well. Any of the above would be awesome buys.

I can't currently afford them, but I have driven an EvoVIII. Man, that car rocks.

Do you have a G35?

yes, the 4-door sedan, however, due to a recent midget addtion to our household (john, 19 months old). it's barely large enough for me, btw. they organized it properly, however, so i fit comfortably (with the sole exception being the blasted seat controls ON THE SEAT!). oddly enough, the roomiest car i've ever owned was a stealth (3000 GT clone). of course, it acheived said room by putting the seat 4 inches above the floor and relegating the back seat to doll sized creatures.

same with my car. the rear seats recline, however, so said midget/baby/amputee will ride in style! :-

Even in stop-and-go San Diego traffic, I don't mind.  I can't stand automatics anymore.

yay to that. i can't imagine driving without a stick anymore.

taks

G35's can be the bomb 4 door. It the only version equipped with ATTESSA or whatver the AWD system is for Nissan.

man, if they offered AWD on the 298 HP G35 coupe... itd be great a la r32-r34 Skylines.

ATTESSA, unlike most other AWD systems, varies from 100%RWD to 50-50 F/R split. Most AWDs, are either vary from 100%FWD to 50-50 F/R, or they stay about 50-50 all the time and then just switch for max grip between the wheels.

Theoretically, the allowance of 100% RWD and max 50% FWD should make the car less understeer and more oversteer tendencies, although that is kinda hard to tell, as wioth AWD you usually get nearly neutral steer.

I am a Nissan fan, if you couldnt tell :p

hehe, got that impression JE :rolleyes:

living in colorado, AWD is very attractive. unfortunately, it did not come out till after i got mine. i did the annual year end sale that infiniti always does, which got me into the car with 2.9% financing and a fair reduction from MSRP. i'm actually ahead on my loan after 15 months and only a few thousand down...

uh, kumquat, i kinda thought the G35 was based on the skyline in the first place? at least the coupe...

i'm waiting for infiniti's new "M Concept"... just gotta figure out how to raise the $57,000 it'll take to get the one i want...

taks

man, if they offered AWD on the 298 HP G35 coupe... itd be great a la r32-r34 Skylines.

*sniff*

ATTESSA, unlike most other AWD systems, varies from 100%RWD to 50-50 F/R split.  Most AWDs, are either vary from 100%FWD to 50-50 F/R, or they stay about 50-50 all the time and then just switch for max grip between the wheels.

my wife has the santa fe AWD... i wonder what it's like. the seats are too stiff for me (bad back) so i don't drive enough to pay attention to such details. well, except for trips we take around the mountains.

taks

i wish i had waited a year on my car.  i love it, but they upped the ponies to 298 this year and the AWD version is only a couple k more than what i paid anyway...

Do you have a G35?

You can really tell the difference between folks who like sports and folks who like luxury.  JE sees a manual transmission and thinks:  AWESOME!  I see it and think:  EXTRA WORK!

Even in stop-and-go San Diego traffic, I don't mind. I can't stand automatics anymore.

automatic transmission is for women... :shifty:

You gotta be insane to like manual cars.

'manual cars' is tautology because a car without manual isn't really a car - it's like a larger version of those bumper cars they have at fun fairs, with 'go' and 'stop' pedals.

dumber than a bag of hammers