Lost City of Atlantis found!

jaguars4ever

Sweet.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

hehehe... "Flourentzos said it was possible that Atlantis was near Cyprus."

it is also highly possible that atlantis was nothing more than literary license taken by plato. an amalgam of all the places he had been as a child. the "legend" of atlantis, only appeared after he wrote about it, btw...

taks

edit: plato, not homer... oops.

comrade taks... just because.

I love how the researcher puts so much weight on Plato's literary description of Atlantis while he leaves out the fact it's described as a huge landmass, larger than Northern Africa and Asia Minor combined. Whatever suits you, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I'm more inclined to think that Thera, under the rule of the Minoans, provided the basis for Atlantis, but that's just me. :thumbsup:

Just because it's traced to him doesn't mean that it doesn't have an older source though.

After a few thousand years, a loss of the great library and a dark age... a lot of ancient fact and fiction was lost.

It could very well be that he was talking about a real place, or a place made up by him. With equal chances of each.

It could very well be that he was talking about a real place, or a place made up by him. With equal chances of each.

well, that leaves a lot to discuss don't it?

atlantis could have been real. or it might not have been. it might have been near cyprus. or near gibralter. or somewhere else. or it might not have existed. but some guy thinks he's found it. or some ruins anyway. which may or may not be atlantis. or just some other ruins.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Plato did describe in his dialogues what, in his opinion, would be the Ideal City, so just adding the description of Atlantis in his dialogues as an "example" of this City is quite a possibility.

It is estimated that there are at least 10.000 unexplored underwater archeological sites (from shipwrecks to cities) withing the sea borders of ancient Greece (so Cyprus is included), thus the probability of this being a different site other than Atlantis is quite high...

The scientific majoity doubted the existence of Troy but it was found, Atlantis may be the same thing. The only problem is that its not very interesting except for the archeologicly inclined.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, if they really are man-made ruins, I'd like to know what they're doing 1500 m. below the surface. I don't really care if it's Atlantis or not, I just want to know how they ended up down there.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The scientific majoity doubted the existence of Troy but it was found, Atlantis may be the same thing. The only problem is that its not very interesting except for the archeologicly inclined.

Well to be fair, there is little in the way of proof (other than a few broad descriptions about what Troy should be like) or agreement about which (if any) of those 11 cities were Troy. In fact, of those that believe that one of them is Troy, the majority has shifted 3 times as to which one it would have to be.

at least, thats how I understood it

Nothing new here.  It's been theorized for several years to be in this area.  The archaeologist is jumping to conclusions with his find too early though.

What ever happened to the underwater ruins found off cuba a few yrs back?

Last I heard nat'l geographic sent a team down and other such org's were looking into it. Then it seemed to drop off the radar. I always thought that was going to be shown to be atlantis.

Rumor were all over that it was going to be announced it was altantis but nothing was ever said. If not altantis then who did those ruins belong to?

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Nothing new here.  It's been theorized for several years to be in this area.  The archaeologist is jumping to conclusions with his find too early though.

What ever happened to the underwater ruins found off cuba a few yrs back?

Last I heard nat'l geographic sent a team down and other such org's were looking into it. Then it seemed to drop off the radar. I always thought that was going to be shown to be atlantis.

Rumor were all over that it was going to be announced it was altantic but nothing was ever said. If not altantis then who did those ruins belong to?

A tiny possibility it were the Celts. It's rumoured the Celts travelled to that part of the world around 1200 BC, but it's just theories, no hard evidence is found so far.

First in arriving at the coast of the Gulf of Mexico were the Olmecs, who soon founded Sale, in Tabasco. According to the oral tradition of that culture, their predecessors identified their origin in an island that disappeared, called

Just because it's traced to him doesn't mean that it doesn't have an older source though.

well, if all evidence traces back to him, then that puts him as the source... otherwise, if there was another source, then the phrase "all evidence traces back to plato" wouldn't hold, would it? :-

i haven't had a chance to read chemchok's links yet to comment... network problems at home and i've been busy at work. this is one area i'm certainly open for ideas on... of course, i am a skeptic. the bummer is that we'll never know what really drove plato to the scant description he provided.

taks

comrade taks... just because.