New Ideas That Could Be Seen In An RPG

Incubus2305

Some cool ideas that might be implementable in some rpgs might be:

1. Geomods

If a door is lock, fireball the wall next to it and walk in. Ofcourse, this would draw a lot of negative attention in towns and around people, so the player would have to take some consideration in before doing so. This could be quite difficult though if the levels are huge and varied.

2. First Person Option

If your checking out a room to try to find a key or secret passage, go into first person mode, and give the room a look around, would allow you to see places that normal overhead or 3rd person camera angles normally block from you.

Smart AI ;)

Hehehe I kind of enjoyed the dumb AI in BG1, It was great to attack a group of ppl by uncovering the map one step at a time so only the person uncovered attacks, and his sorry fog of war blanketed buddies watch him get pelted with sling bullets and arrows :EVildevilishsmileyhere:

Just because I'm in a crappy mood right now, I feel it's my duty to point out that the ideas mentioned above have already been tried. NWN allows doors to be fireballed... and chests as well, for that matter... and it also allows for first person mode, even though it's not the default.

Physics has been attempted (mostly failed, too, although it was a valiant effort, and some of it actually works out reasonably well; it's gravity that's the real kick in the nuts) in Ultima 9, and smart AI has been the buzzword for the last generation of RPGs at least.

What Ipersonally haven't seen attempted yet, though, is... *thinks*... is... randomized dungeons! No no... that was Diablo's claim to fame, although there's some question about whether that's an RPG or not... no wait... give me a sec... it'll come to me...

Customizable, driveable vehicles. And don't even mention that silly thing in Fallout 2!

Imagine having a game world like in GTA: Vice City (Huge, free, all 3D with lots and lots of driveable vehicles), combined with the Fallout-universe and Havok physics..

That could easily be my dream game. I wouldn't even care for a story ;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

smart AI has been the buzzword for the last generation of RPGs at least.

But has it been implemented.

No.

Doesn't need to be implemented to be an idea... although some of the scripts for the BG2 monsters the Ryu have come up with are getting up there, IMO.

(Still in a crappy mood... don't even think of taking me seriously here... 'pologies in advance)

Edit: Could go a long way, though, if you could give a quantitative definition for "smart".

I made the suggestion to one fat **** a long time ago that lightning bolt should open doors and chests as per the ruleset.

I think they said they didn't have a copy of the players handbook to look up he spell.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

I made the suggestion to one fat **** a long time ago that lightning bolt should open doors and chests as per the ruleset.

I think they said they didn't have a copy of the players handbook to look up he spell.

Then what were they going off of? System Reference Document?

i want an rpg where you can gain controls of its towns and do thi8ngs like set taxes, pass laws etc.

Have an RPG with a little bit of a city building thing in it. Option to control a town and how it develops. Have like 10 optional buildings to build in it, you can build 5, and depending which ones you build determines how your town develops. That would be cool. Done before to a degree, like in the Breath of Fire games. But in that you determine who goes to your city, I'm saying no control over who moves there, but you try to attract certain types of people by building certain projects.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Seems to me that lots of games are RTS with RPG elements, but no true RPG game has incorporates Strategy; by that I mean BG2's strongholds. They had great potential, but they degenerated into 2-3 macguffin quest generators. Imagine if you took control of the De'Arnise Keep, organised its defences, negotiated with the Roenals and fought a siege. Probably too much effort for a sidequest, but if such action was integral to the storyline, perhaps in one place (Saradush had potential that was butchered)..

One word... physics

tell that the torn-team :)

i don't like the idea of city-building, except it's a political rpg about becoming mayor or some other boring thing like that. much more interesting would it be to strenghthen your stronghold with defenses, commanding troops (if you're a fighter) or ambushing caravans (as rogue character) etc.

making an rpg with the options of bf1942 or nolf would be great: flying, swimming, driving...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

the idea of management (setting policies, taxes, management etc) could be incorporated into guilds or strongholds at high-end campaigns. The player could have a choice of who'll manage the place while you're away, determine the policy of the place (rapid expansion, shadow politics etc) and when you come back intermediately you can see the effects and change things etc.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

the idea of management (setting policies, taxes, management etc) could be incorporated into guilds or strongholds at high-end campaigns. The player could have a choice of who'll manage the place while you're away, determine the policy of the place (rapid expansion, shadow politics etc) and when you come back intermediately you can see the effects and change things etc.

Like the thieves stronghold in BG2?

No thanks.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

Management would be interesting in a strategy/RPG hybrid, similar to Birthright: Gorgon Alliance. I think it would be too cumbersome in a regular RPG, and it's way too difficult for implementation to be provided as a mere option.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Management would be interesting in a strategy/RPG hybrid, similar to Birthright: Gorgon Alliance. I think it would be too cumbersome in a regular RPG, and it's way too difficult for implementation to be provided as a mere option.

That's kind of an interesting idea: having the game start out as a traditional party-based RPG, but then as the characters advance in level, having the very nature of the game change to something more like an RPG/strategy hybrid where you're not leading a party of 6, but a "party" of 600. I've always thought of higer level adventurers as taking on more administrative roles in their particular society anyway, as they advance in levels and power; politicians, generals, teachers... that sort of thing.

Interesting idea indeed... no idea if it's workable or not, but it's something I haven't seen before, anyway.

I once had an idea for a multiplayer strategy game in which you can play three different roles: a general - your job is to devise the strategy, plan the supply lines, negotiate with other generals, etc (this would play like a large-scale strategy game); a squad leader (this would play like a standard RTS, pretty much, but without resource management - that would be handled by the generals); and a mercenary (this would play like a RPG - you would negotiate your fee/terms with a general and then get enlisted with a squad, where the squad-leader could communicate with you, but you would be free to do your own thing).

It would be insanely complex to design, though.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

I have so many ideas it'd be impossible to post... I am working on getting it all typed up and formatted though... someday... someday.

Care to share some of them with us? It's fun to read other people's strange ideas.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have so many ideas it'd be impossible to post... I am working on getting it all typed up and formatted though... someday... someday.

Care to share some of them with us? It's fun to read other people's strange ideas.

I would actually love too... but I have heard way to many stories (I would call them horror), of people taking other peoples ideas, and making money from them.

I've shared a few, like a bullet-time RPG, but I'm not about to post exactly how I see it working.

If I could get the whole board to sign some sort of napkin contract, I'de love to share 'em, but that ain't gonna happen.

I would actually love too... but I have heard way to many stories (I would call them horror), of people taking other peoples ideas, and making money from them.

I've shared a few, like a bullet-time RPG, but I'm not about to post exactly how I see it working.

If I could get the whole board to sign some sort of napkin contract, I'de love to share 'em, but that ain't gonna happen.

Dude, have u ever heard of mind reading? Ur thoughts, feelings and ideas are already saved and hard copied to tapes in the goverments secret vaults. :ph34r:

Common, give us something to discuss. One single recycled or halfbaked idea u should be able to share.... ;)

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?