Recommended Preperation?

Squidget

As a high school student aspiring to be a game programmer, I'm curious exactly what sorts of preperation programming schools (such as those recommended in the sticky) look for. Some CIS classes and C++ programming experience, obviously, but what else? Math? Physics? Mod projects?

So far I've been taking computer and math classes at my local college while concurrently enrolled in high school. Is doing well in classes like that good enough to get into excellent programming schools, or should I be doing more?

Thanks for any replies. :shifty:

Feel free to steal this sig.

I heard somewhere that there are very very few programing schools and that most devs had to learn by them selves, but i would like to know if there are any good programing schools too because i intrested in becoming a dev even though the pay sucks.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I suggest reading the following line of posts. A lot of suggestions on becoming a programmer are in there, as well as some class suggestions. Mainly though, math is a very useful tool for any programmer. The more the better. Once you have that and some physics (mostly mechanics) the world of games will become very clear. Then you'll wander around life imagining how everything could be coded if you had enough time. Maybe that's just me though.

Once you've chosen what schools you want to aply to, it's pretty easy to look up they're prerequisites. You can also check what transfer requirements they have. One I was interested in before required 4 semesters of calculus for a transfer from JC. So math was obviously ranked high for them.

You shoudn't limit yourself to what is required though. It never hurts to know more than you need. If you know what areas of programming you are interested in specifically, start learning some of the skills you'll need for that work.

If you want to work on game physics, obviously physics will be very important.

If you want to do and kind of work with 3d objects (3d engines, physics, etc) you'll need linear algebra.

If you want to do tools work, learn MFC and study some GUI style guides.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to do tools work, learn MFC and study some GUI style guides.

This reply is somewhat late, but I would say that MFC is becoming more of a skill for legacy apps. There are much better application frameworks available now. :blink:

You're probably right, I just added it because I was almost always asked about MFC during interviews...I never actually used it.

Out of curiousity, do you recommend a framework?