Forced to play NPC groups?

This may have come up before, but I thought I would post it incase.

The biggest change was having specific quests in the game where only a certain character or characters can do them -- and those characters are not the PC. So for certain portions of the game, while you character is off doing one branch of the story, a small group of NPCs will be in a party of their own taking care of a different branch.

This sounds like I'm going to be force to do side missions where my main character isn't involved. I hate it to no end when games do that. I have a main character as someone to identify with in game and then force me to do side missions without him/her just annoys me. If this happens too often I will put me off totally from the game.

I think it's a nice addition. I for one would have liked to play the part in which Canderous and the others have to get back to the Ebon Hawk trying to escape from the Leviathan. Instead of watching some cutscene, you get to play it. :-

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Have to say i am with sorwen on this part, i play Kotor to be jedi not to play other characters or npc.

Sure i wouldnt mind npc quest like in BG series where you main character is still active, or like with Zaalbar at his home world.

But i hate nothing more than to play npc character in npc quest, that i honestly dont like as a character or class.

I dont know how it being gone about if you actively control them or just get info or some cut scenes, but i for one dont like playing characters that arent my choice.

I find it rather interesting. It will mean that all the characters will be used and therefore we will get to know them better. That is something that i think the first KOTO lacked. I would have liked to use all of them.

Folks, give it a chance!! If done well, it will add a lot to both replayability and also make the care and feeding of NPCs a lot more important. Which IMHO is a good thing. NPCs who are as disposable as kleenex are the signs of a shabby game.

Years ago I played a RPG called "Betrayal at Krondor". You had to play whole sections of the game without your avatar. It was both done well and pulled you into the story in a way that a single perspective couldn't. I too hated it at first but after a while, I came to appreiciate it.

Now repeat after me.......Subplots are good, subplots are good

Gotag

I actually wish you could have chosen to do this in KOTOR 1... it just seemed a bit silly that Revan HAD to be in EVERY mission and ONLY Revan can initiate conversations with non-party members... I would have liked to rotate use of different parties. I would probably have always used a Jedi, but it wouldn't have always been the PC.

im not sure it means that u wont have the pc. i always assumed it meant certain npcs left on a short mission for a little bit while you continued playing

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

Maybe you get to send HK-47 on an assassination mission.

Honestly cant say i am impressed, well guess ill have to live through that given rest of the game is still okay, but i am not going to like it, for strategy games where you dont have a main character like kingdom under fire, it okay but really hate not playing my main character all the time when it is rpg.

On leviathan it was okay because it was a very short while, but really hate being force to play classes i dont like playing, like rogue or such.

The biggest change was having specific quests in the game where only a certain character or characters can do them -- and those characters are not the PC. So for certain portions of the game, while you character is off doing one branch of the story, a small group of NPCs will be in a party of their own taking care of a different branch.

This sounds like it will be fun. :thumbsup:

This sounds like I'm going to be force to do side missions where my main character isn't involved.  I hate it to no end when games do that.  I have a main character as someone to identify with in game and then force me to do side missions without him/her just annoys me.  If this happens too often I will put me off totally from the game.

I like this addition, as it gives you instances where your party members are in fact needed. In reality, in KOTOR1, you never "needed" anyone except your PC and 2 NPC party members once you got to the part where you had all party members onboard. I think this addition makes all party members more important and fleshed out, rather than just selection 1-9 in terms of who you feel like having tag along with the PC on a given quest.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I agree. This new feature is great! I mean in the original KOTOR once you got more then one Jedi on your party you basically could easly destroy any enemy.

On official Sith business.

Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.

Mao Tse-Tung

Has it even been said that we have to control the characters while they are off doing their own thing? I mean it could be as simple we split off into two parties the PC's party goes one direction and the other goes the other way. I think it would be interesting to be able to play the other characters (kind of giving them the chance to shine for certain tasks) as long as I get to pick the parties I could careless because it would suck if you needed all people in one party who weren't that good in battle and they wound up going into the most battle on the quest.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Ever since I heard of this new addition I freaked out. This will be really great. I assume that you apprentice will be the leader of the second group, if not I will still love it. This addition makes the game more similar to the movies as the main characters always seem to split up. I am just curious as to how and where this split will occur.

Too much of the godlike Jedi = too much of a. . .uhh. . .thing.

I honestly would like just. . .being a character for a bit. Not some "YOU MUST SAVE THE UNIVERSE OMG LOL" character. I consider that. . .really kinda dumb.

Why can't we just save some chickens or something? :-

Fnord.

This may have come up before, but I thought I would post it incase.

This sounds like I'm going to be force to do side missions where my main character isn't involved. I hate it to no end when games do that. I have a main character as someone to identify with in game and then force me to do side missions without him/her just annoys me. If this happens too often I will put me off totally from the game.

It will make the game last longer

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Too much of the godlike Jedi = too much of a. . .uhh. . .thing.

I honestly would like just. . .being a character for a bit. Not some "YOU MUST SAVE THE UNIVERSE OMG LOL" character. I consider that. . .really kinda dumb.

Why can't we just save some chickens or something?  :-

Off-topic slightly, but I wonder if there's ever going to be a game made (or maybe an expansion or mod?) where you aren't out to save the entire galaxy, but rather a localized world or something.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)