Short Lightsabers?

I suppose that's true. It does say on Page 11 that that is the damage caused by the weapon, but it never actually says what the two numbers mean. I didn't think that that was what people were getting confused about. I thought it was obvious that that meant the damage done by the weapon would be somewhere between x and y, but maybe thats just me.

I suppose that's true. It does say on Page 11 that that is the damage caused by the weapon, but it never actually says what the two numbers mean. I didn't think that that was what people were getting confused about. I thought it was obvious that that meant the damage done by the weapon would be somewhere between x and y, but maybe thats just me.

That was just one example that came to mind. But the point being that the manual leaves too much to be "assumed" by the player, rather than giving detailed information about it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Lightsabers are different than Melee and Ranged.  Those two are set in stone that you use Str for melee, and Dex for ranged.  Lightsabers use the higher modifier of the two.  So people who go the super high str Guardian route will use that, whereas those with a Consular who just want some Dex for defense would use that as ther modifier.

Exactly. I would usually go for a 10 STR (+0) and the highest possible DEX. That way you don't get bonus damage, but you're still pretty good at hitting things, and those +3 or +4 to DEF really help. Then again, that's something that wasn't explained in the manual, IIRC. In the D20 you needed to get a specific feat to use your DEX modifier instead of STR in to-hit rolls.

I suppose that's true, but I still think that MOST of the information was there, you just had to find it and figure out what it meant.

Manuals aren't supposed to be puzzles or bits of info to help 'figure out' how the game works. They are supposed to be sources of comprehensive and detailed info. They used to be, anyway.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Umm... now that you mention it. I believe since I knew the D20 system I had no problems understanding all the penalty/bonus system. But come to think of it, I don't think there was any explanation of the inner workings of the combat system.  :ermm:

Exactly my point. I had never heard of, let alone played anything with this D20 system before KOTOR 1. Yet, judging from the manual, I was supposed to completely understand what all these "+2" and "off-hand penalties" and whatnot were supposed to mean.

Because the manual was so bare bones, I (someone who had never played a D20 system game before) had to learn by trial and error. IMO, that should not be the case. A manual should give you instructions about all the aspects of gameplay, rather than have the player guess his/her way through until they get a grasp of it. Compare the size of the instructions manual in NWN compared to KOTOR. It's almost laughable.

i can identify with you there,i had the exact same problems as you.it took me a long time to figure the system out fully. :p <_<

I'm sorry but I don't know what you guys were talking about. I'd never heard of or played a D20 game before KOTOR and I found everything I needed in the manual. It totally says what all the numbers are and what they do.

I didnn't have manual

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

There exceptions but manuals these days are way too simple. I hope Obsidian/LucasArts give us a better, bigger manual the covers every bit of information on stats, feats, force powers, characters, etc.

The NWN manual was pretty good. I was expecting something like that in KoTOR.