Concept art: what is that technique/medium?

Kaftan Barlast

14.jpg

ep3_art_117.jpg

This kind of paint and technique is really popular for concept art for films and games nowadays but I cant figure out what it is. We only did oil&acrylic at school and my books are all too old.

It looks like somekind of water solvable medium like gouache but it looks different from anything Ive seen, is it partly computer tweaked?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

We'll i know you can make pics look like that using photoshop.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

• 2 weeks later...

Likely Acryl or water colours are good for Backgrounds, they can have the exact thickness or lightness you needs for it to work well, but you can basically use all kinds of different things, pencil watered or coffee.... alot play around to see what does what and what effects you get from it.

We did mostly acryl at my art study class in Denmark, beauty about acryl is it allow you to work in layers.

Its likely water-based paint, Ive worked with most common materials in artschool(oil, tempera, acrylic, gouache, aquarell aswellas as graphics like screenprinting)* and Ive seen nothing like this.

*although my main materials were as I first wrote; oil & acrylic

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its likely water-based paint, Ive worked with most common materials in artschool(oil, tempera, acrylic, gouache, aquarell aswellas as graphics like screenprinting)* and Ive seen nothing like this.

*although my main materials were as I first wrote; oil & acrylic

Water colour blur out if you work it in layers, acryl has some of the same properties if you make it thiner with water, just need to be really good to get the right dose or youll have a paper that makes all sorts of hill like landscape off the paper

EDIT: Their Concept paintings remind me of Brom's style.

14.jpg

This kind of paint and technique is really popular for concept art for films and games nowadays but I cant figure out what it is. We only did oil&acrylic at school and my books are all too old.

It looks like somekind of water solvable medium like gouache but it looks different from anything Ive seen, is it partly computer tweaked?

This painting was done by Chris Appelhans, a guy we contracted and used to to work with at Black Isle. He used Painter, but I don't know which version. Both Justin and Jason use Painter as well.

"Haven't got an enemy in the world. Too lazy to make 'em" - The Reluctant Dragon

That would explain why I could place the technique, thank you!

I really doubt that there's anyone doing concepting with traditional mediums anymore. I'm constantly impressed by the "painterly" qualities artists are achieving with just their Wacom tablet and some painting software. And think of all the paper being saved! :(

Brian Menze does awesome work!

-Tim

Im feeling slightly fossilized. But digital media is out in the artworld where I come from. There was this conclusion that since you never have an original with digital technique, you cant sell it in the traditional way.

If Id be doing concept work:

-Hey, Kaftan. Got any ideas for the XXXXX ?

-Yeah, Im working on it.

-Great, can I see?

-Ive done a couple of coal sketches and etchings, the real one is coming.

-Ok, by the end of the week?

-No, the Gesso ground is still drying. Give it a few days then Ill do the second coat, Ill probably start mixing pigments next month.

-What?!

-Hey you should be glad Im not doing a Fresco. That lime **** takes two years to cook..

• 2 weeks later...

But when they're making those sketches in Photoshop do they colour and detail them in with a tablet? Or just by using a mouse?

Cos I've tried to colour and detail digital sketches with a mouse and it just doesn't work for me.

Noone actually makes things from scratch in PS do they? Its made for editing/modifying graphic images, not drawing them. And Pros probably use tablets. I just got one and its tricky getting used to but the differance from a mouse can be measured in lightyears.

Noone in present mind wouldn't do any painting with a mouse (I wish I could have Wacom Cintiq, so I could draw right on the screen *drooling*).

And, yes, Photoshop sometimes is used to create images from scratch (however there are other editors more suitable for that, like Painter), there are many people who do that. Some people sketch on paper and color in Photoshop.

But its main purpose is still editing images, not painting.