Bush orders draft after elections

Atreides

A definition of draft: a serving of drink (usually alcoholic) drawn from a keg; "they served beer on draft"

www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

Or, in proper English, draught.

:p"

You mean in the dialect spoken predominantly on the British Isles. English, despite its namesake, is a West Germanic language, derived from several sources long ago, the combination of which created the language we speak today. The language is actually derived from the dialect of the old West Germanic languages, combined and spoken on the British Isles. When England became a colonial superpower (so to speak) their language obviously went with it. Mix that language with the influences of the lands England conquered during its hayday, and viola, you get the wide variety of dialects out there today. Pronunciations and spellings are bound to differ around the globe.

History of the English Language

But when referring to anything beer-related, it is always spelled draught no matter if you're on Mars.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But when referring to anything beer-related, it is always spelled draught no matter if you're on Mars.

I don't know what they call it or how they do it in other countries, but in the US, in my many, many years of beer drinking experience, "Draught" has been reserved for any European imported stock, to keep that whole "importedy" feel to it, while American beers, including South American and Central American, have been referred to as "Draft".

Now, if the photo was taken in an English pub, then by all means, the correct spelling should have been "Draught" as that would be "proper" English, and they are after all standing IN England. Likewise, if it was in a bar in the US, and the lever he is holding is attached to a keg of English beer, or even Belgian or German beer, it still would have been more appropriate to spell it "Draught" since it is a European import. But if he is standing in a bar in the US, groping a lever for a keg of old Milwalkee (the choice beer of alcoholics in the US, and the president IS a "recovering" alcoholic after all) then "Draft" was the correct spelling.