Why no playstation2 version?

I’m not asking for a pc/xbox v playstation fight here. I just wonder why a playstation 2 version of either of these games has never been made. I realise that the playstation 2 has only software shaders and graphics wise cannot pull the same detail as the xbox but I’m sure a version could be made (please tell me how I’m wrong here if I am) so why not? Is it simply because of an exclusive console deal? I ask because over at Bioware I cant remember a playstation version ever being suggested, just pc and then xbox.

Thanks

Hey man, I honestly belive the issue is the amount of info needed to make KOTOR that prevents it from being on playstation Xbox is a system that has a BUILT IN harddrive which is neccesary to save your KOTOR game you see X-box owners cannot save KOTOR games on the memory card. Where normal games take up one or two blocks a KOTOR save game takes up like 1600. Since PS2 dosent have a built in hardrive it makes playing KOTOR impossible. KOTOR 2 will be like this as well, so PS2 gamers which have to wait till the ROTS ep3 game to get their lightsaber fix.

Sorry

I am sure the reason for there not being a PS2-version isn't because of the limitations of the PS2 hardware. The graphics in KotOR weren't anything fantastic and it sure as hell didn't look like something the PS2 couldn't handle. In any case, programmers can scale down graphics to make it suit almost any system. Also, the savegames could probably be made small enough to fit onto a memory card, if they utilized savepoints. I mean. the PS2 has lots of RPG's that you can save in, so that's probably not the reason either.

My guess is that the Billy Gates-box has bought some exclusivity rights for Bioware games. Or maybe it's much more difficult to translate the game-engine to the PS2 than to the PC or Xbox. Something simple like that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

maybe it's much more difficult to translate the game-engine to the PS2 than to the PC or Xbox. Something simple like that.

Yep, I believe it's just that since the Xbox is to some extent a capped PC. Because of that, it's not too much work to have an Xbox version of a PC game. Even though there are PS2 games that have been ported to the PC, I think that, for some reason, it's much easier to port a PS2 game to the PC than the other way around. However it is possible that Billy boy has something to do with it, but I don't think so. And I'm a PS2 owner.

BTW, a large variety of regular PC HDs are compatible with the PS2, If I'm not mistaken, it can take up to 80 GB disks. I saw a list of compatible disks once... there sure was a lot of them.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's honestly just because the engine wouldn't lend itself to being on the PS2. KotOR is essentially a PC game engine, and it was coded accordingly.

Which is to say that certain inefficiencies were allowed into the coding in favor of designer-friendly flexibility. This results in things like 10 meg large save games, the need for a hard drive to be able to cache data to, the larger amount of memory available on the XBox, among other things.

If the engine had been written with consoles in mind from the beginning, then maybe it wouldn't have mattered which console(s) it came out on. But it wasn't. :rolleyes:

-Akari

And thats the end of that chapter...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It's honestly just because the engine wouldn't lend itself to being on the PS2.  KotOR is essentially a PC game engine, and it was coded accordingly.

Which is to say that certain inefficiencies were allowed into the coding in favor of designer-friendly flexibility.  This results in things like 10 meg large save games, the need for a hard drive to be able to cache data to, the larger amount of memory available on the XBox, among other things.

If the engine had been written with consoles in mind from the beginning, then maybe it wouldn't have mattered which console(s) it came out on. But it wasn't. :)

-Akari

Thanks for clearing that up, Akari. :rolleyes:

manthing2.jpg

It's honestly just because the engine wouldn't lend itself to being on the PS2.  KotOR is essentially a PC game engine, and it was coded accordingly.

Which is to say that certain inefficiencies were allowed into the coding in favor of designer-friendly flexibility.  This results in things like 10 meg large save games, the need for a hard drive to be able to cache data to, the larger amount of memory available on the XBox, among other things.

If the engine had been written with consoles in mind from the beginning, then maybe it wouldn't have mattered which console(s) it came out on. But it wasn't. :rolleyes:

-Akari

Perhaps xbox was chosen as the console platform due to similarities on the hardware, compared to the PC then? Harddrive, etc, etc...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

PS2 is a black rusty piece o junk which releases games like oni and parappa the rappa 2... it's too old by now to run any game of real expectation. :devil: I only like xbox and pc now!!!... BTW.... what does the upcoming PSP play? PS1 games or PS1/2 games?

If the engine had been written with consoles in mind from the beginning, then maybe it wouldn't have mattered which console(s) it came out on. But it wasn't. :)

-Akari

Akari hits yet another homerun. :devil:

No it does suck

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

They have released a hard drive for PS2.

actually for anyone that gets a new ps2 they cant use the hard drive. they made it a third of the size and the hard drive is to big.

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

If the engine had been written with consoles in mind from the beginning, then maybe it wouldn't have mattered which console(s) it came out on. But it wasn't. :devil:

-Akari

Ha just like I said in the first place

Perhaps xbox was chosen as the console platform due to similarities on the hardware, compared to the PC then? Harddrive, etc, etc...

Xbox IS a PC (in a box)!

More or less, it even shares the same API as the PC (DirectX 8.1?). But it still deviates from the PC in terms of OS and other minor hardware peripherals.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy