Armageddon's-a-comin'!

Little Baron

World War III, I mean.

[John Kerry has officially conceded].

Not to mention, America is now headed directly back to the social conservatism of the 50's. Complete Republican control bought with promises of Christian moral values (really! It was the #1 concern of Bush-voters!*). The potential impact on the supreme court alone could be [will be] devastating, but with no-one to stop them they will pretty much be doing whatever they want.

*and because of this, even the Dems still in office are going to start turning socially conservative in order to survive. Here, I thought that ruining the country's reputation and economy were important things to consider, when all that really matters is whether or not gay people can get married. Silly me.

Good times, good times.

some people is nuts. others is just young. the u.s.a. is politically very moderate and there is no Great Depression or World War to make extremist views palatable. lord only knows where folks is coming up with these hackneyed apocalypse theories.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, a little more calm is definitely in order.

Whatever you think of the social conservatives, their agenda is going nowhere. They're playing defense, not offense, and they have as much of the government under their control as they'll ever have.

Remember, gay marriage became a serious policy option under Bush, not Clinton.

Ye gods, can you people overreact a little more?  I mean, all I'm seeing is doom'n'gloom emotional garbage rather than anyone trying to apply reason to reach an analysis of what this means.

I think I did offer an analysis of what this means... The conservatives have shown that they can motivate the vote *just a little more* than the moderates or the liberals combined. Both parties will seize on this and nothing progressive can come of it. I suppose it depends on which side of this fence you are sitting on whether you think that's "reason" or "emotional garbage".

The Armageddon part, well, that may be a bit of "emotional garbage" I guess but I really do think that there is something just a little bit *nuts* about the current administration and general populace that unblinkingly supports it and it wouldn't suprise me if GW gets us even DEEPER into trouble than we already are. And we are, in case you hadn't noticed, in trouble.

lord only knows where folks is coming up with these hackneyed apocalypse theories.

ill-informed, ill-advised and generally immature beliefs about what it takes to make a country work. sorry to say, but the young crowd that spawns these beliefs just doesn't have the experience in life to know better, and the the old crowd that supports them is so out of touch with reality they're of no help either.

fear of the apocalypse or whatever ill may befall our nation is easy fodder for a slick politician. we see too much of this, resulting in such a great "divide" according to some...

oh well,

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Whatever you think of the social conservatives, their agenda is going nowhere. They're playing defense, not offense, and they have as much of the government under their control as they'll ever have.

Now that's just silly. 11 states just added laws to ban gay marriage... and this president wants to add it to the US constitution... If that isn't on the "offensive" I don't know what is.

Just wait and see... they've already promised to take a crack at that amendment again, and they now have expanded house & senate support.

"And we are, in case you hadn't noticed, in trouble."

No, you aren't.

Pray tell, how do you figure that??

We are involved in a war that is essentially un-winnable and has no foreseeable end. We have made terrorism worse... anyone who can't see that is in denial. We have made a giant ass of ourselves in the world community, which IS a problem since any future help we need or TRUST we need will be *very* hard to win.

That's what I'm talking about.

Now that's just silly. 11 states just added laws to ban gay marriage... and this president wants to add it to the US constitution... If that isn't on the "offensive" I don't know what is.

Just wait and see... they've already promised to take a crack at that amendment again, and they now have expanded house & senate support.

The amendment will fail. It's not even going to get out of the Senate, let alone be ratified. Truth is, there was never any serious intention to pass the amendment in the first place; it was just a way to whip up the base.

And the point isn't that gay marriage is winning; the point is that it's become conceivable. That's the typical arc for these things. Inconceivable > dire threat > moderate threat> inevitable.

Opposition to gay marriage collapses among people under thirty. Check the polls.

"Now that's just silly. 11 states just added laws to ban gay marriage... and this president wants to add it to the US constitution... If that isn't on the "offensive" I don't know what is."

so you see armageddon looming 'cause the people in 11 STATES voted overwhelmingly, by democratic process, not to allow recognition of gay marriages

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

that's the will of 80% of the population of the US, not a religious "offensive"... a society is allowed to decide what type of behavior it defines as acceptable, whether you like it or not.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

from AlanC9:

"The amendment will fail. It's not even going to get out of the Senate, let alone be ratified. Truth is, there was never any serious intention to pass the amendment in the first place; it was just a way to whip up the base.

And the point isn't that gay marriage is winning; the point is that it's become conceivable. That's the typical arc for these things. Inconceivable > dire threat > moderate threat> inevitable.

Opposition to gay marriage collapses among people under thirty. Check the polls."

I hope you're right... I hope I am just over-reacting and it will be business as usual. I don't think I'll be ready to lower my guard until after I've seen about a good year of the first term, though.

I'll shut the hell up now.

Thanks.

Do I think that we are going in the wrong direction? Yes.

Am I fearful of where this administration will take us? Yes.

Am I afraid of strict constructionist justices appointed to the SC? Yes.

Do I think it's the end of the world? No.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The ironic thing is that the gay marriage issue is probably what won it for Bush. A huge number of people thought that "values" were the big issue.

He should send a thank-you note to the Massachusetts Supreme Court.

Shouldnt it be upto the individual church whether or not they want to perform gay marriages? Or is it under the same umbrella as a civil contract over there ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"And we are, in case you hadn't noticed, in trouble."

No, you aren't.

Pray tell, how do you figure that??

We are involved in a war that is essentially un-winnable and has no foreseeable end. We have made terrorism worse... anyone who can't see that is in denial. We have made a giant ass of ourselves in the world community, which IS a problem since any future help we need or TRUST we need will be *very* hard to win.

That's what I'm talking about.

anyone thought that an unending war could be exactly what he wants?

Shouldnt it be upto the individual church whether or not they want to perform gay marriages? Or is it under the same umbrella as a civil contract over there ?

Exactly. Churches can marry anyone they please in the U.S. I know a lot of married gay people. But the laws don't recognize those marriages.

So what's likely to happen in a lot of placs is "civil unions," which is basically most of the civil rights of marriage without the label. Bush himself came out in favor of that -- very quietly.