Icewind Dale 3

Nightwolf

I am one of the (surprisingly) few that really seemed to enjoy Icewind Dale, but to this day there simply haven't been any games near Icewind Dale 2. Sure Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 have a better story, and NWN have better looks, but ID2 are still the better game.

I liked BG, but what really made my day are the details in ID2. The combat are much more interesting, as you can create the entire party and need to adjust your tactics much more than in BG. A custom party just seemed more personal to me than henchmen, plus there are a lot of smaller details like a drow understanding the goblin language.

(this got a bit weird and short, but I'm in a hurry.)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought most of the quests in Icewind Dale 2 were pretty good, the music and the whole northern theme were very well done a pleasure to play, the big problem was the fact that the whole damn game played like a linear dungeon crawl. I wouldn't mind an IWD3 if they started fresh and did it right, but I'd rather see a BG3 or a Planescape 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer BG and P:T. the IWD games were too short, their story rather weak(especially IWD2). I know BIS could have done much better but Interplay forced them to release their games too early.

I hope Obsidian will spend more time on polishing their games.

So many publisher force the dev teams to push the games on the marked, especially before christmas... every year the same...

I am one of the (surprisingly) few that really seemed to enjoy Icewind Dale, but to this day there simply haven't been any games near Icewind Dale 2. Sure Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 have a better story, and NWN have better looks, but ID2 are still the better game.

I liked BG, but what really made my day are the details in ID2. The combat are much more interesting, as you can create the entire party and need to adjust your tactics much more than in BG. A custom party just seemed more personal to me than henchmen, plus there are a lot of smaller details like a drow understanding the goblin language.

(this got a bit weird and short, but I'm in a hurry.)

I think Chris A said he would like to make Icewind Dale III but he hasn't talked to the team yet (he said this druing the middle of summer). I also think he said that he might want to make the game farther into the furture but not at the moment (KOTOR2 and NWN2).

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

there will never be an iwd3 only iwd4

I prefer BG and P:T. the IWD games were too short,  their story rather weak(especially IWD2). I know BIS could have done much better but Interplay forced them to release their games too early.

I hope Obsidian will spend more time on polishing their games.

So many publisher force the dev teams to push the games on the marked, especially before christmas... every year the same...

iwd games had rather weak stories compared to the bg games, what are you talking about, the bgs had a story weaker than a paper cup

Well I agree that IWD1/2 were good games. But theycould never live up to the sheer and overwelming epicness of the Baldur's gate series. The infinty engine

gave the realms new means to be embraced. The only thing wrong with IWD(Espeacially 2) was the fact that the stroy was more hack n slash that i could have cared for. Though the ability to create an entire party was very interesting. The overall character creation was stunted. The fact you would walk for hours to only fight myriads of enimies after another was not very appealing. I also didnt like the gui at all in 2, and in fact I think IDW1 was the better of the two.

If they could create something like IWD3 I'm sure that they wouldn't use the engine that made those games famous. And thus, would be very difficult to get the feeling and atmosphere of such a dark and mysterious game that was IWD.

The same could be said about BG3(since I heard they're using a 3d engine.).

But then again thats what the art department is for.

All in all if they made such a decision to make IWD3, im sure they'd listen to us as much as they do now for the creation of NWN2. I still however fell that no game can surpass the Awesomeness that is "Baldur's Gate 2". Which in my eyes(and most of yours) was the best FR game ever created. However i would like to know that something like "Pool of Radiance", which was the complete opposite of BG2 is never released to the public agian.

I'd hope Obsidian would move on to their own project. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that they continued the KOTOR series and I'd like to see what they do with NWN series, but after those two it's time for an original title.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The Icewind Dale games weren't really aimed at the same area as Baldur's Gate, though. On the scale of RP interaction -> hack and slash, the scale at the time went roughly:

PS Torment -> BG -> IWD -> Diablo II

I liked the first IWD a lot, but I could never really get into the second game. I started it, got to roughly the end of the first chapter, and then stalled. Much later I restarted the game again, but didn't get nearly as far. I suspect it was a combination of my frustration over the spell scroll problem (couldn't seem to find anything that my spellcaster could learn), and the fact that it just seemed to take too long to actually reach my destination.

Maybe things improved starting with the second chapter, but I never found out.

I did greatly enjoy the first game, however, and picked up the expansion pack for it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

How about Icewind Dale 3 as an expansion for NWN2? There doesn't seem to be any reason to develop a separate engine, especially when the NWN2 engine is going to look as great as they keep telling us. They're probably not going to give us winter/arctic content in NWN2 anyway, but it would probably be the sort of thing that they ended up creating in an expansion. Why not merge the two? The Icewind Dale name would be a great way to increase the sales of an expansion, which is normally greatly reduced compared to intiial game sales. Even better, Icewind Dale sits just north of the Neverwinter/Luskan area that NWN2 will deal with in its OC, so there could even be a world map connecting both campaigns!