Real Life Hobbits!

Child of Flame

I saw news about these creatures a few days ago. :ermm:

Our brains are about fifteen hundred cubic centimeters, Homo erectus brain was about twelve hundred. It's about cooling. The larger brains have more surface area to draw away heat, and therefore work better.

That they had such small brains and used fire and tools, in Indonesia yet... they're quite interesting.

Also: The 90% thing, that's just folklore.

I saw news about these creatures a few days ago. :ermm:

Our brains are about fifteen hundred cubic centimeters, Homo erectus brain was about twelve hundred. It's about cooling. The larger brains have more surface area to draw away heat, and therefore work better.

That they had such small brains and used fire and tools, in Indonesia yet... they're quite interesting.

Also: The 90% thing, that's just folklore.

The actual number might be folklore, but if it was a complete fallacy, my mother wouldn't be alive today after her stroke as other parts of her brain took over some functions. <shrugs>

A common myth is that human beings only use ten percent of our brains. This is false; we use our entire brains. The myth likely had its source in an advertisement or a misunderstanding of neurological research in the late 1800s or early 1900s.

:thumbsup: Derailing your thread...

When a person has a stroke and parts of the brain are deprived oxygen and die, the other parts have to pull double duty. For example: when blindfolded for an extended period of time the visual cortex will begin to process nonvisual information such as braile.

Also: Sorry that your mother had a stroke. :(

A common myth is that human beings only use ten percent of our brains. This is false; we use our entire brains. The myth likely had its source in an advertisement or a misunderstanding of neurological research in the late 1800s or early 1900s.

:thumbsup: Derailing your thread...

When a person has a stroke and parts of the brain are deprived oxygen and die, the other parts have to pull double duty. For example: when blindfolded for an extended period of time the visual cortex will begin to process nonvisual information such as braile.

Also: Sorry that your mother had a stroke. :(

No problem, I'm over it more or less. Glad to have the fact cleared from the fiction, I had just always been told otherwise. There is no denying though, that even in a homosapien the brain is a very amazing thing. :devil:

It is possible these hobbits could still be alive today. Indonesian settlers have often spoken of seeing short people of 3ft running through the trees.

My question is if we do find them, what do we class them as. A type of human, that we can do no lab experiments on, and are protected by rights, law etc, or as animals, that we can perfrom experiments on, cut them open, and see what is inside.

It is possible these hobbits could still be alive today. Indonesian settlers have often spoken of seeing short people of 3ft running through the trees.

My question is if we do find them, what do we class them as. A type of human, that we can do no lab experiments on, and are protected by rights, law etc, or as animals, that we can perfrom experiments on, cut them open, and see what is inside.

There would be a huge outcry if someone wanted to chop up a hobbit.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If they're still alive, I'm adopting Tolkein's books as historical fiction.  :thumbsup:

LoL so your going to form the church of Eru are you ? :p

You know, that's not really all that bad an idea. Though it would have to incorporate sound thought rather than blind acceptance of dogma, as that's my main beef with how Christian Religion stands right now. :D

I would be wondering about the religious impact of these guys could have. After all in the main three of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, God created man, human beings.

Besides that, all religions of world say we r the only smart creatures in the world imagine the shake up in religion that would have to happen.

I would be wondering about the religious impact of these guys could have. After all in the main three of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, God created man, human beings.

Besides that, all religions of world say we r the only smart creatures in the world imagine the shake up in religion that would have to happen.

You mean all the western religions.....

Eastern religions are a lot more lenient when it comes to that, as many of them believe EVERY creature has a soul. :blink:

You've got it all wrong. They're not hobbits:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20041031

They're ewoks! :D

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

IIRC they only found one skeleton.

so my question is: how do they know the skeleton wasn't some mutant dwarf austropithicus? it's like people 3 million years hence digging up danny de vito and saying "look! dwarfs really existed!".

dumber than a bag of hammers

IIRC they only found one skeleton.

so my question is: how do they know the skeleton wasn't some mutant dwarf austropithicus? it's like people 3 million years hence digging up danny de vito and saying "look! dwarfs really existed!".

One full skeleton, and tons of bones from similar skeletons. That's what made the find so special, it's very, very rare they actually ever find a new species, much less a whole skeleton. :wacko:

newc, there are substantial differences in skull structure between Australopithecus and Homo erectus, and Homo floresiensis.

The skull is wide like H. erectus.  But the sides are rounder and the crown traces an arc from ear to ear.  The skull of H. erectus has straight sides and a pointed crown, they said.  The lower jaw contains large, blunt teeth and roots like Australopithecus, a prehuman ancestor in Africa more than 3 million years ago.  The front teeth are smaller and more like modern human teeth.  The eye sockets are big and round, but unlike other members of the Homo genus, it has hardly any chin or browline.  The rest of the skeleton looks as if it walked upright, but the pelvis and shinbone have primitive, even apelike features.

In other news, scientists have announced that they will be searching nearby islands, using local myth as clues, to see if they can find more evidence of Flores man. They haven't ruled out that some Flores men may still be around.