Weekend Programmer #5

This'll almost certainly be the last weekend I have to do this, so I figured why not.

I'm happy to take a shot at some of the questions you all have, but I'm trying to be very careful from giving out details that would ruin the story for you in advance, which means I tend to have to stick to more boring technical things. Besides, I'm a programmer, so that's what I do best. :shifty:

Feel free to ask whatever, my responses might be scattered as I'm just going to pick and chose the ones to respond to today.

-Akari

On the site there are several characters who appear to be non-jedi who succumb to darkside corruption. Is this because of your darkside use, or can they gain jedi powers?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

:shifty: Thanks

1. So does this mean that you have less than a week to turn in the game to LA?

2. Are you (and do you know who else) will be staying on to work on the PC version or is it off to NWN2 land?

3. For the folks following along at home, Obsidian won't be doing Xbox live content for K2, correct?

about Mandalor, Is that a genral tittle for know or is he the Mandalor.

will the new website be updated regulary?

will there be any family relationships?

On the site there are several characters who appear to be non-jedi who succumb to darkside corruption. Is this because of your darkside use, or can they gain jedi powers?

Appearances can be deceiving. Just because someone's not holding a lightsaber doesn't mean they can't be affected by the Darkside of the force. I don't know the exact details behind all those characters, but I do know that the visible corruption is appropriate for at least some of them.

:) Thanks

1. So does this mean that you have less than a week to turn in the game to LA?

Correct.

2. Are you (and do you know who else) will be staying on to work on the PC version or is it off to NWN2 land?

Odds are I'll be working on the PC version as interface stuff tends to be my area on this particular project. I'm not sure how many other people will be or who they would be.

3. For the folks following along at home, Obsidian won't be doing Xbox live content for K2, correct?

Yeah. The plan had been to do it, but there were a number of last minute technical problems that came up a couple months back that were going to consume a lot of our development time to resolve. There were also other issues outside of technical reasons that resulted in the decision being made to not create any Xbox live content.

-Akari

"Odds are I'll be working on the PC version as interface stuff tends to be my area on this particular project."

How brutally do you expect to be murdered if the interface turns out to be just as clumsy as before, or is it totally not your fault, and if not then whose is it and where does he live?

And more importantly, mouselook?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

1. Are the prestige classes obtained via special events triggered by meeting certain requirements? (e.g. some guy walks up to you at the dock with an offer)

2. Does Atton Rand come with a special pink lightsaber?

3. Is the "handmaiden" the sister/daughter of Atris?

4. Is LucasArts liable for insanity of either devs or future customers brought on by the wait? :D

5. So...do we get custom hilts or not?

about Mandalor,  Is that a genral tittle for know or is he the Mandalor.

will the new website be updated regulary?

will there be any family relationships?

He is the Mandalore.

Don't know anything about the other two questions. :wub:

Hey Akari,

Can you reveal any d20 rules (bonuses, special powers, immunites, BaB, AC, etc.), pertaining to the various prestige classes?  :lol:

I'm not really too knowledgeable on this topic, unfortunately. :) I do know that there are specific force powers for some of the prestige classes, but I'm not even completely sure which ones get what. Force powers weren't generally something I worked on.

On the website it says that when you have Kreia in your party all party-members gain an experience bonus.

How large is this bonus? Is it an extra 10 points per kill, or an extra 20% or a 3rd increase?

How does it work?

It's a percentage. The amount of the percentage goes up as Kreia goes up in level. The stages are 3%, 5%, 7%, the levels are at 1, 7, 13.

-Akari

Hey Akari, thanks for the last chat with your fans :D

Q1. Will there be additional content for the PC version or will you take the extra time to focus solely on bug-fixing?

Q2. What is the extent of the telepathic link between Kreia and the PC?

Q3. If it doesn't spoil anything: what is the link between the 'Handmaiden' and Visas Marr?

Q4. You doing alright? I'm sure they'll be volunteers to sort out anyone who's giving you trouble... :)

Thx alot.

As for extra PC content, any indications (not promises) as to what will happen there. Rumor has it that there is a partially completed planet that had to be cut, at least, for the Xbox version. Long odds, but heres hoping.

What are the Q&A people saying about game length?

OK, any insight into the whole Atris/WHC/hand maiden stuff?

How you doin' Akari?

Doing well. Ready for a day off soon. :lol:

Will there be any significant graphical differences between the XBOX and PC versions, other than high-resolution and slightly more detailed textures as it was with the first one?

I think that'll be about it. The textures on the PC version are way higher resolution.

"Odds are I'll be working on the PC version as interface stuff tends to be my area on this particular project."

How brutally do you expect to be murdered if the interface turns out to be just as clumsy as before, or is it totally not your fault, and if not then whose is it and where does he live?

And more importantly, mouselook?

Generally the interface is going to be about the same as the first one, in terms of how you control it. There may be some time to make changes, but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't design the interfaces, I just program what I'm given. :)

I don't know about mouselook either. I'll bring it up at some point, but it'd be something I'd have to get someone's okay on before I looked into it too much.

1. Are the prestige classes obtained via special events triggered by meeting certain requirements? (e.g. some guy walks up to you at the dock with an offer)

I'm actually not sure, sorry.

2.  Does Atton Rand come with a special pink lightsaber?

Not. :)

3. Is the "handmaiden" the sister/daughter of Atris?

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't answer if I did though. :wub:

4. Is LucasArts liable for insanity of either devs or future customers brought on by the wait? :D

The longer the wait, the more time we have to make the game better. :)

5. So...do we get custom hilts or not?

Nope. They didn't make the cut, unfortunately.

-Akari

Are there new NPC non-jedi classes in the game (like fringer or noble). ?

Are the ranged weapons finally going to be viable option (lets face it in KOTOR I they sucked).

Is the PC version on schedule. ?

Which came fist, the chiken or the egg ?

:)

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.