Bittorrent

Oerwinde

Does anyone know how to limit your uploads without limiting your downloads? Because I have a data transfer limit with my ISP and its annoying when I'm uploading 5x faster than I'm downloading so I end up using all of my limit while getting nothing.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Does anyone know how to limit your uploads without limiting your downloads? Because I have a data transfer limit with my ISP and its annoying when I'm uploading 5x faster than I'm downloading so I end up using all of my limit while getting nothing.

that's odd. usually they limit uploads to prevent people from running servers. not downloads. not sure, however, how to limit it. just don't do UL and DL at the same time i guess...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Change your settings; for example, Modem/56k setting will restrict your upload speed to 5kbps, and download to I think 30kbps. Now that's not really great, but there are different levels. Also experiment with number of peer connections.

Azureus is good, I use it, but it's java and murders your processing power.

Change your settings; for example, Modem/56k setting will restrict your upload speed to 5kbps, and download to I think 30kbps. Now that's not really great, but there are different levels. Also experiment with number of peer connections.

Azureus is good, I use it, but it's java and murders your processing power.

Well, I couldn't change any settings until I found a new client. I was just using standard bittorrent. But for some reason limiting my uploads limits my downloads. Like, if I limit it to 10k, my downloads are limited to 5. Its lame.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Not very wise discussing illegal download software on a developers forum huh?

not illegal. BT is currently the most widely used p2p network around. Many companies release demoes on BT and the modding society for all the popular games use BT to distribute their work.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

Maybe so, but most people use it to get games, movies etc before they are released.

most people also get pirated games over the internet... but it's not illegal.

i.e. just because the end use of a product is sometimes illegal, doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is illegal.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Azureus is a really good client and very customizable, as birdiedude said. But if you're using BitTornado, I thought there was a max. upload speed there too. Oh well, azureus has it all :p!

Maybe so, but most people use it to get games, movies etc before they are released.

True. But Bittorrent is not illegal, nor is using it. People use their internet connections and computers to obtain and play pirated games, the very same computers their using to participate on this forum.

If we were posting links to illegal software then it'd be a different story.

newlogo.gif

Yeah, the only downside of Azureus is its javaness. :wacko:

There are lots of situations where p2p doesn't necessarily mean illegal. For example, my CD drive can't read crap and my computer case is sealed, and I never got round to cracking it open (:p) so I buy games, then download it off the net.