Consulars in TSL

Consulars were an excellent class in KOTOR. I don't see the reason to pick them this time around in TSL. Maybe you guys can help me see the error of my ways. Here are 5 reasons why I don't think they will be a solid class choice.

1. Higher level cap. More levels mean more force powers. So even a Guardian will have plenty of force powers to choose from.

2. Higher amount of force points. With the higher levels come more force points. If it still takes 20 Force points to do a universal move and my high level Guardian casts it, even he will still be able to use plenty of force powers.

3. You learn force powers by doing things in the game. Yet another reason why my guardian can have plenty of force powers.

4. Prestige classes. If I start out as a Guardian and find that I still want to have more of a push in the force power area, I can just choose to be Jedi Master.

5. More Sith Lords to fight against. Malak was extremely resistant to force powers. He was only one. With more Sith Lords to fight against you will have even more enemies that are resistant to force powers.

Now before all the consular lovers get mad at me, I still think they are a good class. I just think that in TSL there is less of a reason to choose them.

Consulars were an excellent class in KOTOR.  I don't see the reason to pick them this time around in TSL.  Maybe you guys can help me see the error of my ways.  Here are 5 reasons why I don't think they will be a solid class choice. 

1.  Higher level cap.  More levels mean more force powers.  So even a Guardian will have plenty of force powers to choose from.

2.  Higher amount of force points.  With the higher levels come more force points.  If it still takes 20 Force points to do a universal move and my high level Guardian casts it, even he will still be able to use plenty of force powers.

3.  You learn force powers by doing things in the game.  Yet another reason why my guardian can have plenty of force powers.

4.  Prestige classes.  If I start out as a Guardian and find that I still want to have more of a push in the force power area, I can just choose to be Jedi Master.

5.  More Sith Lords to fight against.  Malak was extremely resistant to force powers.  He was only one.  With more Sith Lords to fight against you will have even more enemies that are resistant to force powers.

Now before all the consular lovers get mad at me, I still think they are a good class.  I just think that in TSL there is less of a reason to choose them.

LOL man, if all the things you just listed would make the Guardian that much more powerful...imagine how powerful the Consulars would be....you're evidence is helping the Consulars role....in theory u could make someone as powerful as Yoda with the force....see what I mean?

And Zach, how's Kelly doing? Bahahahahaaaaa :blink:

First off, Kelly is good. A little older, but good. Here's why I don't think it helps the consular that much.

Point 1. How many force powers do you need. Once I have level 3 lightning, whirlwind, plague, kill, horror and drain, how many more could I use?

Point 2. If I go all Darkside and pick all Darkside powers. I won't need all those extra force points. Even in KOTOR my consular had so many force points that I would recharge them so fast I could never run out. How much more when I'm a level 30 consular. It's overkill.

Consulars were an excellent class in KOTOR.  I don't see the reason to pick them this time around in TSL.  Maybe you guys can help me see the error of my ways.  Here are 5 reasons why I don't think they will be a solid class choice. 

1.  Higher level cap.  More levels mean more force powers.  So even a Guardian will have plenty of force powers to choose from.

2.  Higher amount of force points.  With the higher levels come more force points.  If it still takes 20 Force points to do a universal move and my high level Guardian casts it, even he will still be able to use plenty of force powers.

3.  You learn force powers by doing things in the game.  Yet another reason why my guardian can have plenty of force powers.

4.  Prestige classes.  If I start out as a Guardian and find that I still want to have more of a push in the force power area, I can just choose to be Jedi Master.

5.  More Sith Lords to fight against.  Malak was extremely resistant to force powers.  He was only one.  With more Sith Lords to fight against you will have even more enemies that are resistant to force powers.

Now before all the consular lovers get mad at me, I still think they are a good class.  I just think that in TSL there is less of a reason to choose them.

That's one of the issues that i have with TSL. The d20 rules weren't the best, but they had atleast some sort of balance to it, i dunno what a mess lvl30 cap can make, considering that TSL is the same gamelength as KotOR.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

How kotor 3 will not use d20.

Huh? care to elaborate?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think they have added diverse force powers (with up to three stages of expansion each) to the game. And some of these powers may be bound to a minimum level of 20 or 25. This could make the player to have a wider force knowledge than it was necessary/possible in KotOR1. It would make much sense because it is uncommon that a force user is a master of Force Storm/Lightning and doesn't know how to fend of a force attack or to use another elementary force power.

Force Sight, Battle Meditation and Force Clairvoyance i.e. could be very useful force powers. Maybe a Consular will be the only one who has enough points left to learn all of them and not only one.

But at that time we can't decide about how useful the Consular class will be. I think the devs have done a good job balancing their new class and force power system.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

LOL man, if all the things you just listed would make the Guardian that much more powerful...imagine how powerful the Consulars would be....you're evidence is helping the Consulars role....in theory u could make someone as powerful as Yoda with the force....see what I mean?

And Zach, how's Kelly doing? Bahahahahaaaaa :)

I disagree that they would help the consular that much... I mean in the first game with 20 levels I could do whatever I wanted forcewise with a soldier guardian wisdom 10, even without those special WIS upgrade items (leave those out this game plz!! So overpowered).

The one question I have for you Zach (and the only thing I disagree with you on) is that consulars were awesome in the first game.

Look, the best mixes in KotOR were either Consular - Scout or Consular - Soldier. Consular is the best because even though they dont go around slashing everything they see with their lightsaber, they have more force points and more force powers. It is likely in KotOR II the casting cost will be adjusted to ensure Consulars still have the advantage in force powers. Also, there are probably some unique force abilities that only Consulars, Jedi Masters, and Sith Lords can gain access to. This is why Consulars are the best and will always will be the best.

The reason why consulars were excellent in KOTOR is that with proper class crossing they can fix all their weaknesses. Plus with the level cap at 20 their advantage of more force powers was very valuable. Also the cross classing hurt you number of available force powers. For example, if you went level 6 soldier then you ended up being level 14 Guardian. That would be a total of 15 force powers. But in TSL it looks like a Guadian class Jedi could have more force powers than even the Consular in the original KOTOR.

Not true.  You could do 2/18.  Just don't level up on Taris.

A level 2 character on Taris would be owned...though if you were the scoundrel class you could sneak past most enemies(but that would be boring)

Not really. All you need to do is rely on your party members to deal with trouble since they can level up. I did Taris that way. It sucked though...

On to the topic. I don't think consulars will lose in comparison to guardians since the whole point of playing a consular is having a lot of force points. This purpose was defeated in KotOR due to the "force sensitive" feat that gave the PC way more force points than he/she was supposed to have, which meant that at the higher levels, guardians could spam force powers without much trouble. I doubt such a feat will exist in KotOR II, so maybe there will be a reason for playing consular after all...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Perfect arguments! I`ve never thought of that and preharps you are right. Nothing against. But I still have hope that it won`t be so...

I had no problem beating everything to blody heaps of served body parts with a Soldier7/Guardian. It was much esier then doing Scoundrel/Sentinel, Scoundrel/Councilor or Scout/Counsilor.

And with pure Guardian I might get a few feats less, but I get more powers. The only bad part with this is saves, but with force resistance who cares. :p

They need to put something in the game that is more of an effort for pure guardian then it is for sentinel and councilor. In KotOR last fight was a walkover with a Guardian but hard fight with councilor.

in koter your max was 6 14 nonjedi/jedi classes, now its 30 jedi levels, a gaurdian can lean all you need in 30 levels

Not true. You could do 2/18. Just don't level up on Taris.

Actually, 2/12 was possible though 5/15 (as scout/consular) was the best choice. Imo, the consular should have some real melee-weaknesses which cant be compensated as it was possible in KotorI (e.g. limited to Knight level in two-handed combat or something like that).