New batman pic and The Thing

kumquatq3

I've been really impressed at how The Thing has been handled for the FF film; it's good to know they're not going with CGI.

I'm not keen on the Batman costume; the headpiece is way too thick and bulky.

They probably had to do the head like that because of the shape of Christian Bale's head.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'd say it's the best one so far

Yes, it is the best so far; at least this Batman cowel facilitates head movement, unlike the one in Burton's (and the others..) films.

I like the body design; it's got that industrial/tech look which nicely compliments the style of the Batmobile in this film.

newlogo.gif

I really don't like the Batmobile in this, and to be honest, I'd prefer a simpler batsuit, more along the lines of the Ultimate Batman design that Wizard commissioned a while back.

Ultimate Batman

Devastatorsig.jpg

That costume for Bale is missing something which I think is important to the character, a noticeable bat. Wheter it was the classical black bat in a yellow elipse, or the black bat in a grey background (ie, Year One), I think it needs to be visible. That suit seems too vague.

The Thing looks cool... but why does it look like a midget?

I really don't like the Batmobile in this, and to be honest, I'd prefer a simpler batsuit, more along the lines of the Ultimate Batman design that Wizard commissioned a while back.

Ultimate Batman

That is brilliant. I really like that one a lot, and I agree, it would be nicer to see something like that instead of the rubber suit.

I still love the Batmobile though, for Batman Beyond.

newlogo.gif

Ultimate Batman

That is brilliant. I really like that one a lot, and I agree, it would be nicer to see something like that instead of the rubber suit.

My only problem with it is that it reminds me of Captain America alot

Bah! Jean-Paul Valley had the best Batman costume.

The Ultimate Batman costume looks nice at first glance, but take a closer look at how the cape covers the shoulders and part of the chest. That cape would be a serious liability anytime Bats would have to use his arms in a life-or-death situation. The standard cape is bad enough (as Azrael noted), but is necessary for the fear factor; this cape would see Bruce dead his first night out.

The Ultimate Batman costume looks nice at first glance, but take a closer look at how the cape covers the shoulders and part of the chest.  That cape would be a serious liability anytime Bats would have to use his arms in a life-or-death situation.  The standard cape is bad enough (as Azrael noted), but is necessary for the fear factor; this cape would see Bruce dead his first night out.

Capes are seriously impractical and interfering no matter what their structure is. Capes are there for the sole purpose of looking cool, and finding fault with the practicality of a cape design is pretty much taking the fun out of it. And I think the cape in this illustration, practical or no, looks cool, which is the whole point.

There's nothing practical about superheroes, so I don't expect their costumes to be practical.

newlogo.gif

Bah!  Jean-Paul Valley had the best Batman costume. 

True, but something about a more classic approach to the suit gets me anytime. That, or some of the Elseworlds variants.

Capes are seriously impractical and interfering no matter what their structure is. Capes are there for the sole purpose of looking cool, and finding fault with the practicality of a cape design is pretty much taking the fun out of it. And I think the cape in this illustration, practical or no, looks cool, which is the whole point.

There's nothing practical about superheroes, so I don't expect their costumes to be practical.

Remember how in Watchmen very few characters had capes? I think Moore tried to somehow point out the problems in that acessory. Dollar Bill was killed because his cape was caught in the revolving doors of a bank and some bank robbers took that to their advantage.

Thing looks strange and batman looks like hes on his way to a fetish party.

Thing is all about the large brow ridges.

Batman always looks like he's going to a fetish party.

As for The Thing, in the Fantastic Four movie, he's only just starting to change into the rocky skin, he hasn't made the full transformation yet.

newlogo.gif

The Ultimate Batman costume looks nice at first glance, but take a closer look at how the cape covers the shoulders and part of the chest.  That cape would be a serious liability anytime Bats would have to use his arms in a life-or-death situation.  The standard cape is bad enough (as Azrael noted), but is necessary for the fear factor; this cape would see Bruce dead his first night out.

Actually, Batman's cape does serve some practical purposes. Number one, it's scary as hell, and Batman believes that "criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot" and so he uses the cape to make himself more menacing. Second, at night and in the dark, it blurs his outline, making his features indistinguishable, and making it more difficult for enemies with guns to draw an accurate bead on his head or chest. It still would interfere with movement, but that's been an issue since we first invented armor (mobility vs. protection).

True, but something about a more classic approach to the suit gets me anytime. That, or some of the Elseworlds variants.

I agree. That's why I love the current Bat-suit; it has the retro look of the 30s Batman, but incorporates infrared, an on-board targeting and ident system, comlink, and other functional enhancements similar to what Azrael did.

The cape also has another function: the lining is actually woven from ultra-fine aluminium thread which is part of the suit's radio antenna.

I got this from Batman: The Last Arkham, btw. Not sure how the character's suit is composed nowadays.

That was something that was pointed out when those pics first surfaced. I agree, but the main part of the costume I like a lot more. Especially the utility belt. The cape would only work for a comic, but everything else would work IRL.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Thing looks strange and batman looks like hes on his way to a fetish party.

Thing is all about the large brow ridges.

Yeah, they modified the costume a bit since the first pic. Everyone complained because there was no Brow ridge. Looks like they noted the complaints.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The cape also has another function: the lining is actually woven from ultra-fine aluminium thread which is part of the suit's radio antenna.

I got this from Batman: The Last Arkham, btw. Not sure how the character's suit is composed nowadays.

Last I knew the cape was some sort of armor as well (else how the fokk does he stop bullets with it), and he also uses it to glide to an extent. That and it's totally badass. :)