Will Humanity end?

Craftsman

yes, and the whales will rule all.

Pffft...We'll exterminate all those damned whales before we go. :thumbsup:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Ah, but it cannot die -- not while you are incapable of presenting a rigorous proof of the fact that people's beliefs are wrong. Many human beings are optimists; if it cannot be shown that there is no afterlife, afterlives will be believed in.

Beleive in an afterlife then, what do you need to abide to a fictional set of dogmas for ?!?

Opus131 why does religion need to die?

A man walked was walking with a Priest and said

"Religion is useless. Look at all the worlds problems. It has solved nothing"

The priest didnt reply but kept on walking. They came across a poor man, who was dirty as had not washed for days. The priest got out a bar of soap and said to the man

"To the athiest, religion is like a of soup. It tastes sour and discusting when eaten, but it is not being used corretly. It is for washing so that we may be clean."

He gave the soap to the poor man.

"In the same way if religion was applied properly, as it was meant to bethere would be no troubles. Instead our human pride has caused us to look beyond the problem, in which we are to blame, and to blame something else."

I think i just lost a few brain cells reading that...

Opus131 why does religion need to die?

A man walked was walking with a Priest and said

"Religion is useless. Look at all the worlds problems. It has solved nothing"

The priest didnt reply but kept on walking. They came across a poor man, who was dirty as had not washed for days. The priest got out a bar of soap and said to the man

"To the athiest, religion is like a of soup. It tastes sour and discusting when eaten, but it is not being used corretly. It is for washing so that we may be clean."

He gave the soap to the poor man.

"In the same way if religion was applied properly, as it was meant to bethere would be no troubles. Instead our human pride has caused us to look beyond the problem, in which we are to blame, and to blame something else."

This story makes no sense. What does it mean? Does it mean atheists such as myself have no morals? It can't be about applying religion incorrectly, because atheists don't apply religion to being with, therefore the only people able to apply religion incorrectly are religious people.

Anyway, I will not comment on the end of the human race, but our humanity seems to have ended long ago. In fact, I'm not even sure if the human race as a whole ever was humane. Only individuals are.

I believe he meant soap.

Makes more sense as soup :D (religion that is not the typo)

Then why would you eat soup soap? >_<"

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

That's what I mean. He says Atheists apply religion wrong, or, eating the soap. We don't apply religion at all, so we don't use the soap at all(that is a weird sentence). Therefore there can only be one type of people incorrectly applying religion and that is religious people. His analogy is majorly flawed because his vision of atheists is.

Then why would you eat soup soap?  :shifty:"

This coming from someone who eats the games he has finished >_<

If we talking metaphor then religion makes far more sense as foul tasting soup than it does as a bar of soap.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Then why would you eat soup soap?  :-"

This coming from someone who eats the games he has finished :p

The sad thing is people are going to understand that remark! :p

Beleive in an afterlife then, what do you need to abide to a fictional set of dogmas for ?!?

Because they are amusing and because they make the afterlife seem more realistic. Some of them also explain other things which cannot be explained with satisfactory -- like the creation of the universe or why life exists.

because they make the afterlife seem more realistic.

How do you figure fiction to be realistic ?!?

Some of them also explain other things which cannot be explained with satisfactory -- like the creation of the universe or why life exists.

No they don't, none of those things are explained, they just give arbitrary answers which you are supposed to swallow with no reason nor logic.

I'm all for considering a form of theism or at the very least embrace the notion there might be something more out there, natural or eitherwise (which is actually more plausible then atheism to be frank), however, i don't understand why does it have to be religion, is it just because other people like to beleive in it ?!?

Frankly, if we're to be frank, I don't like approaching anti-religious arguments from a didactic position. I find it odd when someone takes it upon himself to do so.

Religion as a set of moral guidelines, or to provide an overarching worldview, is not a bad thing. I fail to see why a few internet geeks should dissuade me from my particular beliefs. In fact, I don't see one person's moral intrusiveness any different than another. One religious person says that you're going to hell if you don't hold to his belief (something that I didn't say... and I assure you I am, indeed, religious) and suddenly it's okay to make a broad and sweeping statement about my intolerance. What nonsense.

I'm willing to take your lack of belief at face value. I don't think it says anything about you other than you don't hold to a set of religious beliefs. I don't believe it makes you evil or that you are bound for hell as a result. Whatever else the bible says, I take to heart one simple lesson... that the Lord is my judge, not that I am yours.

As far as the whole soap thing *shrug* It's not my sort of argument, but I appreciate Craftman's enthusiasm. At any rate, for folks who hate religion, you might as well get used to having it around. It's going to be around for a long, long time. Probably forever.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Actually it is religion that tells that man that he is dirty. If left alone, he would never have considered himself dirty, or if he did, he'd go wash himself.

Who's to say that religion has all the answers? Would you mind if I wash with Moslem soap? Or my own soap?

I believe people in general are good at heart, and that they don't need fundamental laws to bind them into certain ways of acting. There is a measure of social egoism that drives us. If I help you today, you might help me tomorrow. If you dont help me tomorrow, I might not help you again. If I give to charity, I will feel better with myself, since I know that helping others is something _I_ value. I do not need to be told this. There is rationality in helping others.

Through my eyes, everyone are equal (even religious people - I respect their views IRL), which is more than can be said of most religions. Everything that promotes inequality promotes conflict and violence.

'Who is the great dragon which the spirit no longer wants to call Lord and God? "Thou-shalt," is the great dragon called. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will."

"Thou-shalt," lies in his path, sparkling with gold- a scale-covered beast; and on each scale glitters a golden "Thou-shalt!"

The values of a thousand years glitter on those scales, and thus speaks the mightiest of all dragons: "All values of all things- glitter on me.

All value has long been created, and I am all created value. Verily, there shall be no more 'I will' ." Thus speaks the dragon.'

Thus spake Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

Okay, so I couldn't resist a bit of "scripture" :)

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon