TSL: The soundtrack

One of KotOR's better assetts were the soundtrack with themes like Bastila Shan, The Sith, Rhakert Station, Jedi Academy and Ahto City. But since Jeremy Soule isn't doing the soundtrack for TSL (replaced by Mark Grisham IIRC), what are your thoughts about it?

I'm a very sceptic at the moment.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Marky GRISKY, actually.

Jeremy Soule was a mixed bag for me. Some of his stuff was really boring, some was quite good. Bastila's theme, for instance. His NWN music I wasn't terribly impressed with either, but I think he was going too hard for "generic" rather than "unique" in that case.

The worst it'll be is somewhat derivative, I think, or just not as moody. It'll definitely sound star-warsish, at least. He has plenty of credits for LA.

From what I could hear on the Korriban video (since the music volume was so low) I thought that music was just ok. Not crap, but not great either. But this is just the music on a preview movie, so it could also just be a preview to the soundtrack.

I have a feeling that since the composer works for LA that the music will fit the game and have that classic Star Wars feel.

If they're going all out for a live orchestra (or whatever they're doing), I have confidence that it'll be quality, since if you're going to half-ass it, there's no point spending money on an orchestra to do it.

I was satisfied with the KOTOR soundtrack, although some of the music, like the Manaan one, was rather lacking and didn't feel "epic" as most Star Wars music does.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Previously, you were able to download the whole soundtrack from http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com, but Lucasarts forced them to put it away recently though.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

do u guys burn it to a cd and make your girlfrien listen to it in the car?

My g/f has already burned it and listening to it as we speak.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

IIRC, someone on the Bioware forums a while back said there was a way to extract them from the game files but I could never make it work. Then someone posted the link to the soundtrack on the web that someone posted earlier and that was much easier. Great soundtrack. I hope they do a similar thing with the KOTOR 2 soundtrack. I really liked how the first game's was always reminiscent of John Willliams and used some variations on some of the original themes but was never the exact same thing that we've all heard a million times, like in the Jedi Knight games. Make it original, but make it Star Wars, please!

Um i know how to extract the files, and since we bought the game it should be legal. Can i tell?

You can extract the music using Miles Sound Tools at http://www.radgametools.com/miles.htm . Just target the *.wav files and extract away. They should extract to wave format by default.

No, Miles Sound Tools isn't a shady program either. Rad has had its technology used for a crapload of stuff, such as Smacker Video, Bink Video, and Miles Sound Tools (HOMM I, II, III, IV, Mechwarrior 2, Starcraft, Warcraft, and almost any other game you can think of).

Personally, I don't know if it is illegal to just extract the files, considering that you would have to own the game in the first place, and functionally, they would just be forcing you to open up the game and pick fights instead of just click on the track. I think their issue would be distributing the music. Or, at least, I hope it is.

--Garfield3d