Polls in the KOTOR2 forum

DesertHawk

The polls in the KOTOR 2 forum are out of control. It's downright ridiculous to have just two topics (not counting stickies) that are NOT polls.

Most of the polls are just stupid. They're one or two sentences sentences long and barely contain any information relevant. While it's understandable to want to get what people are saying, you can make an intelligent poll that covers information that's either new or not been thought up, or you can search for the kind of item you were going to post on and "ressurect a dead topic".

There are two ways I can imagine limiting this sea of polls:

1. Limit the number of polls you can make in a certain period of time. (Like 5 polls per week per person.)

2. Limit the time you have before posting a new poll (Like every 5 hours, you can post another poll, basically the same as above.)

While the moderators are great people and are doing there jobs, I would imagine that even they would have trouble with this. Not only that, but they have lives outside of this forum that we have to consider.

I hope nobody took this as an offence to them. There are a few people who make intelligent polls that generate great conversation, and there are some people who's polls degenerate into random bashings. While those polls are amusing (to a point) they are extremely annoying to sort through.

Thank you for your time.

Fnord.

Banning is censorship, and every player has a right on the 'net to speak his or her mind.

Plus they may have a good idea later on. :shifty:

Ahem. It also looks as though Akari has taken care of the polls. I just hope ways are found to keep it from happening as much.

Thanks Akari and Obsidian. You have, once again, saved us from a world of pain and suffering.

Fnord.

Banning is censorship, and every player has a right on the 'net to speak his or her mind.

It's not really censorship if the person broke an established board rule about spamming (which is exactly what making dozens of idiotic polls is). If that were the case, then every single message board on the internet that has either suspended or banned a poster is in big trouble, because it happens often.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ahem. It also looks as though Akari has taken care of the polls. I just hope ways are found to keep it from happening as much.

The suggestions forum is still riddled with moronic polls. Why don't they just close it? It's a wee bit late in the game to be making suggestions, right?

I take it none of the moderators are going to respond to this suggestion? It's a shame, considering the TSL general forum has turned into a kindergarten chat room now with all those polls bumping any legitimate threads off the first page.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I take it none of the moderators are going to respond to this suggestion?  It's a shame, considering the TSL general forum has turned into a kindergarten chat room now with all those polls bumping any legitimate threads off the first page.

Yesterday most of the spam polls mysteriously disappeared, but today it seems that we have gained some new ones.

The best thing to do it just not post in it. Unless of course you think your post might create some meaningful discussion.

The problem is it's the same person(s) posting poll after poll, so even if they are deleted after a while, that person(s) will just post another inane poll when they log on.

Hence the banning, or atleast warning of forumers who insist on continuing even after they've been asked to stop.

For the most part, I've tried to avoid the threads (and will do so from now on), but that doesn't help the situation that actual interesting threads with new information or valuable discussion keep getting bumped to page 2 just so we are subjected to "what is your opinion of Bastila's cousin's neighbor's new sweater?".

They should definitively add a limit to how many polls you can post each day/week. All these polls are just ruining the forum. Polls are fine when there is some thought behind them and not made just for "fun" or out of boredom as they are now. For some reason

some of the polls, though annoying, do seem to have to have to do with the game. it is the polls which are really nothing more that come from being bored which need to go.

I will admit that some polls under normal circumstances would be just normal threads, but adding names or options shouldn't change the thread or make them any more annoying than regular threads.

The idea of not necessarily closing down the suggestions forum, because that will probably change slightly in posts, but of adding the new forums - however, that would just lead to more spam at this point in time.