Dark Tranquility

zer"0"

Dark Tranquility are a band from Sweden, and they have been playing for years now.

I listen to their music alot , I think its great.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone on this here fora know them, and what you think about them.

:)

Just another proggressive dramatic goth deathmetal act. Boring.

Not to mention they speak with a horrendously strong Gothenbug accent between songs which make them sound completely ridiculous.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Just another proggressive dramatic goth deathmetal act. Boring.

Not to mention they speak with a horrendously strong Gothenbug accent between songs which make them sound completely ridiculous.

As far as I know they were pioneers in Melodic Death Metal. Together with In Flames also.

Something I always wonder... Why so many great metal bands from Sweden?

Specifically Gothenburg. All the greatest Swedish Metal bands are from Gothenburg

Interesting...

"Melodic deathmetal" is an musical oxymoron that should never have been created IMO. And Gothenburg is the capital of this hideousness aswellas as the idiot powermetal garbage.

Sweden has a strong music tradition and I think we are the worlds #3 music exporter after the US and Britain. Metal is a large part of the music output in sweden although its not recognized in mainstream media.

Im not active in the genre anymore, so I cant really give you any tips of Swedish quality metal other than the regular Entombed, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Haunted or Nasum. I tend to listen to noname grindcore acts on 7"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

While they're not as good as the mighty Opeth, they're still pretty decent. "Lethe" is damn good song.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

the mighty Opeth
- Another great swedish metal band!

There are so many, talented people, making this brand of music I enjoy so much. I am just glad. Where I live (Namibia, Africa)...this music is totally unknown. Most people here listen to local folk music or POP charts from USA/UK, meaning R&B, Rap, etc.

Peace... \m/ B) \m/

I don't like Death Metal at all but hey, I listen to, god forbid, power metal, so what do I know?

All hail Manowar.

"When other bands play, MANOWAR KILLS!!!!" B)

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't like Death Metal at all but hey, I listen to, god forbid, power metal, so what do I know?

All hail Manowar.

"When other bands play, MANOWAR KILLS!!!!" B)

Nearly killed me first time I heard it, my ribs hurt so bad.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I saw Dark Tranquillity last summer on Rockwave Festival here in Greece. The singer's neck tends to swell a lot and becomes red-ish after the first few songs. Guess these death metal-ish vocals aren't suited for him :p

And IN FLAMES can go burn in hell for all I care. There are tons of far greater death metal bands out there.

Irrelevant fact: I am going to see SAXON live tomorrow. Yay me ;)

irrelevant fact 2:

we're gonna go see Incantation, Behemoth and Krisium this wednesday in Gothenburg

I've not heard of some of these bands. Shameful I know, considering I used to listen to Metal almost religiously during the 80's, and some of the 90's. :- Anyway, it's good to see bands like Saxon still doing the rounds. :)

I'm listening to Nightwish at the moment. :ph34r:

Opeth went downhill fast after blackwater park.

They have never been that impressive as far as i'm concerned.

Simple rythmical progressions on a chromatic scale, unimaginative cadenzas coupled with amateurish singing, not sure why they have become such a cult, the band was never really that skilled.

As for Manowar, well, i'm not sure i can explain that one.

They have a very good singer, and some of their songs are rather tuneful, but for the love of god this band can be so bad at times (the lyrics in particular) they are just histerical.

All hail Manowar.

I don't think Manorwar are power metal, they are quite traditional actually.

Just because they have a sword and sorcery theme doens't make them powermetal. When it comes to this band swords and axes go hand in hand with an engine and a pair of wheels...

Wow, Saxon really kicked @$$. They played for about 3 hours, we wouldn't let them leave the stage :p

As for Manowar...I actually enjoy some of their songs ("Blood of my Enemies" for example is a truly epic song), but the "we are True Metal and all else are just gay" attitude is bound to make one rather irritated at them...

So...MOTORHEAD for ever :thumbsup::devil:

Opeth went downhill fast after blackwater park.

They have never been that impressive as far as i'm concerned.

Simple rythmical progressions on a chromatic scale, unimaginative cadenzas coupled with amateurish singing, not sure why they have become such a cult, the band was never really that skilled.

As for Manowar, well, i'm not sure i can explain that one.

They have a very good singer, and some of their songs are rather tuneful, but for the love of god this band can be so bad at times (the lyrics in particular) they are just histerical.

Interesting, what bands in the metal-scene have more skill than Opeth?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

All hail Manowar.

I don't think Manorwar are power metal, they are quite traditional actually.

Just because they have a sword and sorcery theme doens't make them powermetal. When it comes to this band swords and axes go hand in hand with an engine and a pair of wheels...

Power Metal has had several definitions over the ages. Manowar was called Power Metal because it was pure, undiluted, powerful heavy metal, and that's all Manowar is about, really. The power of true metal. The same goes for Hammerfall.

Power Metal has had several definitions over the ages. Manowar was called Power Metal because it was pure, undiluted, powerful heavy metal, and that's all Manowar is about, really. The power of true metal. The same goes for Hammerfall.

Well, since you are the one listening to it, i'll leave you at that.

However, as far as i remember, the term power metal was coined after the use of fast pulsing power chords which are supposed to draw energy and inspiration in light of their 'eroic' undertones, it has nothing to do with 'the power of metal'.

Most power metal bands are fast paced, rythmically driven with an hint of fantasy romanticism in them.

Manowar it's all about kicking ass and fight for metal in a Robert Howard inspired frenzy whilst riding a chopper down the free road.

In both cases the term 'power' has very different connotations.

Of course, if you say the definition shifted throught the years, then i assume both arguments are correct... ;)

Interesting, what bands in the metal-scene have more skill than Opeth?

I've been out of the metal scene for too long to be able to answer that.

Most metal bands no longer impress me this days, i guess Opeth simply befalls the same problem, and my problem with Opeth it's not just their music making, but the blandness of the music itself.

I think the correct term here is 'pretentious'. Opeth it's nothing but a group of 20 something years olds grasping for greatness but falling flat on their faces.

Most progressive bands share the same problem.

The most recent band which i thought was pretty interesting was some sort of death metal / jazz fusion hybrid with lots of symcompation and odd shifted rythms, but i can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Went to a HC gig last night, bought me a split grindcore 7" with Haemorrage and Terrorism. Now that's music.

contemporary proggressive bands are no good, there's stuff like Anekdoten and Landberk/Morte Macabre/Paatos but it doesnt come close to the real deal of the 70's

Oh, no. Proggressive *metal* has never been any good.