Is KOTOR 2 a true sequel?

Is KOTOR 2 a true sequel?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is KOTOR 2 a true sequel?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kinda

Well judging by the two I would say......yes :(

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Guest ChaosStorm

Considering that you do not need KotOR1 to play KotOR2, it is hard to see KotOR2 as an add on. It surely is a sequel for me.

Oh right. It doesn't have a new engine? Who cares?! I don't for sure. Game play and story is a trillion times more important anyway. To bridge to February I installed all the Baldur's Gate games again. Best games ever and I don't even notice really that the graphics are dated when I play.

Saying that a sequel always needs to have a totally updated engine is just plain stupid.

It doesn't have to be either/or, ya know.

KOTOR2 might not be the most innovative of sequels, but at least it's somewhat of a sequel. More so than Fallout2, for example.

Or you could just think of it as a really big expansion pack.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I am treating it more like a add on pack. One reason could be that the game is still using the the same engine. What are your thoughts?

Graphics isn't always the milestone of progression. If the game portrays a definite leap in gameplay, tells a tale that is removed but also reminiscent of the first game e.g. your connection to Revan and the return or cameos of previous characters along with the consequences of the choices you made previously, then you've got the makings of a sequel.

TSL is set five years after KOTOR, time is usually a good tool exploited by a sequel as it allows things to develop; for characters to mature and give plausible credibility to those changes.

Though, to be honest the proof is in the pudding. We won't know jack till we play the game from beginning to end. But the signs point towards the game being a sequel if not at least a continuation of what we enjoyed in the first game i.e. more Force powers, skills and better balance gameplay wise overall.

True sequel. You don't need KOTOR 1 to play it, and KOTOR 2's story is significantly different from KOTOR 1s IMO.

As has been said, identical engines does not mean it cannot be a sequel Baldur's Gate 2 is most definitely a sequel to Baldur's Gate.

Guest ChaosStorm
Graphics isn't always the milestone of progression.

Sooooooo very true. 99% of the games today only try to improve graphics while their game play sucks big time (you see this mostly in MMORPG, RTS and FPS games). I am very glad KotOR2 isn't improving the (graphics) engine. This means that they can spend man-hours in things which are far more important such as the story, new feats and powers etc.

Good graphics do not equal content and are no guarantee for a good game.

I am treating it more like a add on pack. One reason could be that the game is still using the the same engine. What are your thoughts?

Just because it is using the same engine, this doesn't make it a true sequel ;):huh:

No offense but that makes absolutely no sense AT ALL! We are getting a new story, with new characters, and a whole bunch of new additions and it's just an... add on ;)

My head hurts.

Anyways it's a true sequel in my opinion.

Kinda, for me. It's a sequel, but more of it's own game. A true Sequel for me would be continuieing the adventure of Revan and crew.

If there was any real arguement about it being a true sequel or not, to me this is the only legit issue. And as I would like to continue playing as Revan and all, I still say it is a sequel, especially since what you did as Revan in the first game, looks to have a role in what happens in the second

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I say its a sequel do to the fact that its a whole new cast and crew, new story and new items. Its not really continuing the Revan and friends saga so i dont see it as an Ex. Pack.

On official Sith business.

Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.

Mao Tse-Tung

Considering it's a brand new story (atleast in terms of who the main "stars" are), a new timeline, a new PC, etc. I voted for "yes".

I can't see how it can be thought of as anything less than a sequel.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

What is TSL if it is not a sequel? And it's definitely no Add-on!

The alternative would be that it is a game of its own. :)

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he